Gibson Brands Forums

Border Reiver

Gilliangirl

This guy is so good. Can anyone figure out what the heck he's doing? His right hand is moving so fast I can't even tell. It looks (and sounds) like an alternating bass line with a flick on the top strings. But I'm doing that and not getting the same percussive result he gets. Mind you, I'm doing it r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y, so maybe the speed contributes to the sound. I haven't even attempted the solo fingerstyle bit. Anyway, I like this guy's version better than Mark's! (sorry Mark..... I like yours too)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqGfFfwGkEo[/YOUTUBE]

It sort of looks like a technique similar to claw hammer banjo....striking downward with his index and middle fingers getting the percussive sound whilst also playing / ringing the note.

Mostly hitting the strings with the backs of his fingernails on the down and maybe dragging the tips of his fingernails on the up.

I am currently "in the market" for finding and developing some finger strumming techniques that allow me to play the alt bass along with strumming the high strings and this looks like something I will want to play with myself. I have been mostly a fingerpicker, but now I want to learn to sing and play. I need to simplify my playing so I can concentrate on singing and this type of strumming but still fingerstyle approach is the type of thing that may help me.

Thanks for the post GGirl...nice video although he needs to back off his reverb just a bit :-)

Hi Stephen, I wondered if that was kind of what he's doing. Or maybe when he brings his fingers back up they do an inadvertent mute, which creates the percussion. Either way, it's very effective for that style of song. I'm going to try and master it! Where there's a will, there's a way haha I need to learn more right-hand techniques..... I'm getting bored with my same old stuff. [blink]

What's reverb?

Me too GGirl....gotta experiment more with technique !

Reverb is an effect that can be added to a recording so it sounds like a tile bathroom or concert hall or singing in the Grand Canyon. Big and echo-y. I have been playing with recording a lot lately and one of the more common mistakes when recording yourself is turning the reverb up and having it sound unnatural. It is like a seasoning, just a pinch and it is beautiful and perfect.....but it is so easy to add a little too much.

Yuck.....back to a Monday morning tomorrow and a full week of work....the time off at the holidays has been great and I am not ready to return to reality!

Ah I get it! Thanks for the info. I've got a lot to learn about the electric side of things. Now that I own a guitar with a pickup in it, it's opened up a whole new world.

I hear ya on the return to work thing. I don't go back to work til Tuesday but I'm dreading it. It's been wonderful sleeping in and doing things at my own pace (or not at all haha!)

I looked at this-- doesn't look like clawhammer to me. ( I play clawhammer) Mostly, a rhythm groove with some picking.

IF you want to bend yourself around two or three times with some very different finger playing, - including clawhammer guitar- check out Jody Stecher's DVD "Traditional American Old time, Blues & Country Music". Great playing by a master, and every song/tune uses a different technique!!

I also think he's playing a variant of clawhammer banjo style. If you go to Rocket Science Banjo and check out instructional video number three, it's a lesson on a technique called "the cluck" which produces a percussive sound on the banjo very similar to what this guy is getting on the guitar. I just started learning banjo, and for my money, I don't like "the cluck" so probably won't even attempt to master it.

Here's the link to the Rocket Science Banjo video if you're interested: http://www.rocketsciencebanjo.com/rsbvideos.html

It's also on youtube.

I also think he's playing a variant of clawhammer banjo style. If you go to Rocket Science Banjo and check out instructional video number three' date=' it's a lesson on a technique called "the cluck" which produces a percussive sound on the banjo very similar to what this guy is getting on the guitar. I just started learning banjo, and for my money, I don't like "the cluck" so probably won't even attempt to master it.

Here's the link to the Rocket Science Banjo video if you're interested: http://www.rocketsciencebanjo.com/rsbvideos.html

It's also on youtube.

[/quote']

Thanks for the link Billy. I was up last night til 1 a.m. trying to practice that cluck thing. It's going to take a whole lot more practice [biggrin]

Archived