Gibson Brands Forums

Which Tuner Pedal that is good enough...

hicacolis

I suppose different tuners have different accuracy. Question is, does it really matter? They way the guitar is constructed I will never be truly in tune anyway. Still, I guess getting as close as possible isn't a bad thing either. I'd say ease of use and being of a heavy duty construction is more important, meaning can you use it to tune quickly not having to fiddle with any buttons, you can read the LED lights or whatever indicators used with the pedal on the floor in stage lighting, and if you plan to have it hooked up to your set up all the time - does it let the signal pass through without sucking tone.

That said, many pros and amateurs alike seem to swear by the Boss TU-2. I've never used it myself, but it seems to be worth the money.

I've been using the Korg PitchBlack for a while now. Really easy to use and works great.

+1

I wouldn't gig without it. As with (I think) most tuning pedals, it acts as a cut-off when bypassed - so no feedback between songs etc. I prefer the metal button-bolt style switch too - matches my marshall's channel/reverb foot switch.

It is very responsive and easy to read on stage to.

A nice unit - and no mistake.

Hi everyone...

I'm about to purchase a tuner pedal?

Does brand matter in terms of the accuracy of the tuning?

It's not the brand so much as the model. The Boss TU-2 is an older design and is accurate to +/- 3 cent. The Daphon is +/- 2 cent. The manual for the Behringer (the one on their web site) doesn't indicate the accuracy of the tuner.

A couple of other people have recommended the Korg Pitchback (PB-01). I own one & I'll go along with that. It's accurate to +/- 1 cent.

Doug -

I used to use a Boss tuner (among others), then I got a PlanetWaves strobe tuner. It is not too expensive but really accurate.

Actually I tuned my guitar using my boss, then with the strobe just to compare and the difference was remarkable. A strobe is arguably the best you can get.

A good tuner is possibly the most important accessory for a guitar player IMHO. I hate being out of tune and things sound so much better when everyone is in tune.

Thanks all for ya'll great responses...

I'm wondering, what is "+/- 2 cent."? What does it mean?

Hm...

I'm actually know how to play guitar.. Am not a pro but play quite often play on a small stage..

I'm looking for a not-too-expensive tuner for me to use on the stage.. (this is if i think this effect for temporary)..

But if i think Tuner pedal as an investment, i might buy a more expensive and long-term life = )

Any suggestions on how should i treat this device? as a short-term device (1 to 5 years) or long term (i.e. investment lets say more than 10 years).

And do the expensive ones can last that long?

Thanks all = )

As far as accuracy, the difference from one fret to the next is 100 cents. The Boss is +/- 3 cents, the Pitch Black is +/- 1 cent, the Peterson StroboStomp is +/- 1/10th cent and the Turbo Tuner is +/- 1/100th cent.

I have the StroboStomp and it's fantastic. I use it live, and when I kick it in it mutes my guitar, I tune up, and I can confidently go right to the next song without having to double check or "tweak" the tuning. That's not the case when I used the Boss. You always had to fine tune it by ear after. Not a great idea in front of a bar full of people.

The Peterson is expensive. I'd recommend the Korg as far as bang for the buck. The Turbo Tuner looks even better, but I've never tried one.

When I used pedals I used the Boss Tuner.

Never had any problems with it and was able to sell it for what I paid for it.

Unless your heavily invested into pedals, you might want to consider looking at a guitar effects unit?

For only a little more money you can get a used Boss GT-6 these days for around $200 and it has a lot more then a tuner!

I've even seen them go for under $170 without a case. The GT-6 is a beast.

Thanks all for the responses..

"I use it live, and when I kick it in it mutes my guitar"

This is actually quite important.. does all the brands that were mentioned here do this?

Or it doesn't mute the guitar?

I'm looking or a less than $100 tuner pedal actually, since i'm not that quite a pro.

Archived