Gibson Brands Forums

Great Learning Tool For Intermediate Players.

AXE®

I know, to be a decent player, I can't just learn chords and then go about my business and learn solos by ear for ever.

BUT its one of those things I will do and do until you get a CLEAR reason to bother to learn the scales.

This tutorial helped me see why it might be beneficial to learn scales.

Not sure I'm ready for scales...playing is more fun than practicing but, of all the vids on scales I've seen, this one (despite the guy saying confusing stuff), just from seeing the patters one after another, has given me the most insight.

Thanx AXE.

I've gone and favorited it to my account.

Good post!...If you want to learn the notes do what I did...put little stickers on the fretboard....sounds silly but it works.

Now dont gig with stickers plastered all over your neck' date=' t'would be sissy! lol[/quote']

You did that to your R9??? [confused][crying]

Just kidding... but you didn't, did you?[biggrin]

That stuff makes my head hurt! I remember when I learned that by playing the major scale, I was actually playing 7 scales or modes at once just in different keys, so theoretically I could just move the major scale pattern around the fretboard to play in any mode in any key... suddenly I could play in the mixolydian mode and the phrygian mode. It was cool but a bit mind numbing. Of course all theory springs from the major scale, so everyone should know it. I'm always surprised when people don't even know why a minor chord is minor - pretty basic stuff that, again, requires an understanding of the major scale. I wish I had more patience for theory though.

Since I'm self taught I found the whole circle of fifths theory to really help open up my ability to navigate easier around the fretboard.

Another thing is every fifth note is also a string skip. E F F# G G#--- A Bb B C C#---D---...And so on.

Very nice video! Circle of Fifths is a must for every player.

Another thing is every fifth note is also a string skip. E F F# G G#--- A Bb B C C#---D---...And so on.

Except for the G string which has a skip on the fourth note-> G' date=' G#, A, A#, [b']B[/b].

Music theory is good stuff as long as it's not overdone, which is my problem. But I think it can help you learn the fretboard. Here's an example. I started teaching my son the piano when he was 6 years old. I don't play piano much anymore and he wanted to play guitar because he saw daddy playing it a lot. I told him he'd play guitar once he's at a certain level on the piano.

That happened about 6 months ago. He was able to read music and play both hands together. In addition he knew 4 scales. The first week on the guitar I had him memorize the strings. The next week I told him "Every fret is a half step on the piano. When you reach the note of the next string play that new string instead." I had him say the notes as he picked. He literally got it all down in less than a day. What helps me play guitar is that I don't see a fretboard when I play. Instead I picture notes on a scale. Playing piano forces you to do this. So I think everyone should get a cheap keyboard and learn the keys a bit...

Thanks for that, AXE; good to know the bones.

(Also I now know what RogerGLewis was on about in his Circle of Fifths sentence!)

.(you ever noticed sheets come in really guitar UNfriendly keys.....)

Nik; when I was just starting out, I think I'd only been playing about a week, I bought 'The Complete Paul Simon Songbook'. It had all our party favorites but many in keys like F# or C# and the chordwork was a bit of a chore, to put it mildly.

About six months afterwards a friend who came to jam said to me "Wow! Why don't you just put a capo on the (Nth) fret....".

Me; "A capo? What's a capo?".........

Archived