Gibson Brands Forums

sg with burstbuckers pro pickups?buckers vs 57 classic

sellen

i know some of the custom sg has burstbucker in it.but that's burstbucker 1 and 2.got the burstbucker pro in my les paul and i like it a lot.had the 57 in my sg 61,but i replaced them with bare knuckle pickup.the bare knuckle are great,but for the future i will try burstbucker pro or 57 classic in my sg 61 just for the thrill of it(its a hobby,i know some of you think its kinda stupid,playing around with pickups.i think i hear some of you say,"just play the damn thing")[confused] .anyway that's why im asking.the 57 classic i have at home,so that deal is free.but i do like that bucker sound in my les paul

To my ears' date=' the burstbuckers sound better in Les Pauls then they do in SGs. Maybe it's because of the maple cap on the LP body?

Personaly, I would choose the '57 Classics to put in an SG. [/quote']

Sounds reasonable,its what im thinking to.

+1

My SG has a 490R in the neck and a 498T in the bridge. My LP has BB pros. And I have a good friend with a SG 61R with 57 classics. To my ears' date=' my favorite is that 61R with the 57 Classics.

[/quote']

I'm building a guitar, and I want it to sound similar to an SG. Nice warm crunchy break-up with distortion etc.

I'm trying to decide between the 498T/490R combo vs the 57/57+ combo for pick-ups, so your observations no your friends guitar would help me greatly!

(I play blues and alt rock. Kind of like the Black Keys and similar)

Sounds like the 57s are what you'd want. They do have a warmer tone than the 498T/490R and a slighty lower output. You should get to a guitar shop where you can sample the sound of each setup. You could also start another thread for opinions on the comparison. I'm sure plenty of guys would weigh in.

Archived