Gibson Brands Forums

Tremol-No is a Tremol-Yes!

cdntac

If anyone has ever thought of buying a Tremol-No....

My Tremol-No came in the mail today. I bought it via a store selling it on Ebay. All-Parts sells them too.

For those who aren't aware, it takes the place of one of the tremolo springs and allows you three options: Full dive or up mode, dive-only mode or locked down like a hard tail bridge.

Supposedly it can take only 15 minutes to install. I took my time and after about 30 minutes had it fully functional. The hardest part was removing the springs! Especially the one spring that is removed from the trem block!

Anyone could install this. Yes, even those who think they are incompetent when it comes to guitar maintenance.

The pic below shows the main six parts:

1) When locked down, this thumb screw prevents the tremolo from being raised

2 and 3) When tightened the tremolo is locked just like a hard tail bridge. No movement whatsoever.

If 2 and 3 are loosened, you can use the tremolo in dive-mode only.

4) The Tremol-No claw that replaces the guitar's stock claw.

5) You have to either un-solder the ground or snip it off and connect it to the new Tremol-No claw (either by a set screw or you could solder it on).

6) This claw attaches to the trem block. A couple of spacers are provided but they may not be needed.

tremol-no.jpg

Note that one spring has been removed.

It's essential that the Tremol-No sliding tube parts (underneath 1, 2 and 3) are lined up perfectly straight. The part coming from the Tremol-No claw slides into the part that is attached to the trem block. If those two aren't lined up perfectly the unit will bind.

Positives:

-- I can really notice a difference when the trem is completely locked down --- sustain has increased quite a bit.

-- Tuning is now very stable when in dive-mode. After a mild use of the tremolo or a full dive, just bring the trem bar back up until it stops (#1 locks it down) and you're back to perfect pitch. The key is to tune the guitar with the tremolo floating, then lock #1 down).

-- You can easily switch from full lock down to dive-only to full use very quickly between songs. Just loosen whichever screws are needed.

Negatives:

-- The only thing I can see is that it would be easy to loosen one of these screws too much and drop it. I think I'm going to put a tiny bit of teflon tape on the threads and that will stop them from coming completely loose. An extra screw is provided.

-- The fact that you have to now leave the cover off of the back may be a negative for some. A few times I felt the rivet of my jeans catching the Tremolo-No thumbscrews. Not a big deal for me though.

Very cool. Did you have to unsolder or cut the ground wire? That's the only thing preventing me from adding one of those to my 513. I know it's simple but the technology in that guitar scares the living crap out of me and I don't want to mess with it. [angry]

Maybe I'll just suck it up and do it.

I un-soldered the ground wire from the guitar's trem claw (though you could just snip it off if you didn't have a soldering gun or if you were afraid to use one).

I was going to solder it back on to the new one but I didn't have a third hand to hold it, the soldering gun and the solder! Fortunately there is a set screw attached to the Tremol-No's claw plate which allows you to attach the ground.

And if anyone says they're not a mechanical guy....I'm not at all. And I installed it rather easily. Anyone could do it.

If you're going to down tune you'd just have to lock all the screws down.

It really is a cool little device. It's nice having the ability to lock the tremolo right down but equally nice being able to release it within seconds. So if you're doing a song that needs a bit of tremolo....just loosen two screws (or all if you're going to pull up) and after the song lock them back down.

I can see how this will make changing strings easier --- no more having the guitar go completely out of tune when changing just one string (because of the tension on the floating tremolo).

And why are you selling it? I'm still on the fence...

Tim...

The reason im selling it is because I bought a 37mm Brass block for my Floyd Rose. The blocks that

come with a Floyd are tiny. Now I have much more sustain and the guitar overall sounds so much

more alive....Im getting off topic.

So now the Tremol-No wont fit. Its mint and barely used. Its here if you want it.

Long and Mcquade does though when I phoned a store in Toronto they only had the small clamp in stock. They checked inventory and no other stores had any. I couldn't find any other GTA stores that sold them (some had no clue what I was talking about).

I bought mine on Ebay via a store selling them for $49 U.S.. Shipping was $14.

I got mine from L&M Burlington. They are on the piller where the tuners and small parts are located.

The one I have is the pin, so itll be no good to you Timbo if you need the clamp.

Two things I didnt care for...

1) You need line up the shaft perfectly or it grinds. I did find the sweet spot where it ran smooth but a few dive bombs and it started

to grind again.

2) If you like to "Chirp" or "Flutter" with your bar it doesnt do it very well.

I bought this from Floyd Upgrades and its just as good as the Tremol-No

tremolostopper_lrg_2.jpg

^ cool!

Funny, when I first learned about this product, I called L&M Burlington and the guy I spoke with said he's never heard of Tremol-no. He then (claims he) checked their system and nothing came up. The only reason I want one of these is to lock the bridge in place. I never use the whammy bar.

Some guy in alt.guitar was involved with the development of the Tremol-no as a tester a couple of years ago and I remember that he was really digging it. I think he ended up with an endorsement deal because he was such a believer in it. "One of these days" I'll have to give one a try although I don't use the trems on any of my Strats.

^ cool!

Funny' date=' when I first learned about this product, I called L&M Burlington and the guy I spoke with said he's never heard of Tremol-no. He then (claims he) checked their system and nothing came up. The only reason I want one of these is to lock the bridge in place. I never use the whammy bar.[/quote']

Thats L&M for you...

They dont even know what they sell.

If you dont use it Tim why not block it with a piece of wood?

Archived