Gibson Brands Forums

What really got you into playing guitar ?

Laaz

I was always into music and have had a guitar since I was 8, but what really got me into taking it seriously was the night I saw Obsession in a little shitty bar in Connecticut. The band was amazing and the sound was killer. The guitars in this song just have that hook I just can't stop jamming to.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8tEb9Hj84Q[/YOUTUBE]

Everyone in my family plays an instrument.

My mom was a lounge singer. My grampa was a recording artist.

Its got to be genetic, but what got me to get REALLY into it was drugs.

I had to give up drinking and stuff.

Any time I felt anxiety or depression coming I picked up my grampa's old nylon.

I was into Rock at an early age. My eldest brother plays classical, one day he bought a Fender Mustang as he was trying to start a band but that never materialized I kept the guitar for a couple of years, I did not have time to play it much since I was a full time student and had a full time job. My brother sold the guitar.

Fast forward 20 years.

Even though I am a hard rocker/old metal guy it was John Lee Hooker that woke something in me this time, I made the mistake to buy a shitty guitar and amp that of course did not play much for a few years, then I realized the itch was not going away and bought a Gibson LP, I have been playing for 5 years now.

I'd been playing trumpet through high school. Marching band then blues and rock and jazz. Mom made me take piano lessons from age 4 through 3rd grade. I hated it and quit when I got the trumpet.

I wanted an instrument to do solo. I didn't want to go to the keyboard yet I liked all those chords and melody together, backing off for a vocal, then popping in with instrumental solo. It was the height of the pre-Beatle folkie era - '63 - and I figured that whatever style of music I might want to do, could be done with guitar.

The guitar concept is wonderful. Vivaldi to bluegrass, Latin of all flavors to Irish folk music, country, rock, jazz... It's portable and part of you. A light Flamenco guitar with wooden pegs and nylon strings or a solidbody, there's so much music that is just up to you to coax from those strings.

m

master-of-puppets.jpg

My cousin played this album for me when I was around 11 years old.

Ha ha!! I bought that when it came out and was 11 too! I remember queuing outside the local record shop waiting to buy And Justice for all too a couple of years later!

Matt

Thank god for shitty little bars. These guys were another big influence. First time I saw them, they opened for WASP & Armored Saint at a bar in Scotia, NY I think it was 1983 or 84.

Ha ha!! I bought that when it came out and was 11 too! I remember queuing outside the local record shop waiting to buy And Justice for all too a couple of years later!

Matt

Archived