Gibson Brands Forums

Worrying News or Hoax?

KL

I was in my local music store today. They used to be a Gibson Dealer but are not now. They had a used Gibson in I was looking at and the shop assistant told me that Gibson had just gone bankruped. I have not seen anything about this in the press, and am sure this forum would be full of it, so I can only assume that this information is untrue. I certainly hope it is untrue. Does anybody know anything about this please?

I was in my local music store today. They used to be a Gibson Dealer but are not now. They had a used Gibson in I was looking at and the shop assistant told me that Gibson had just gone bankruped. I have not seen anything about this in the press' date=' and am sure this forum would be full of it, so I can only assume that this information is untrue. I certainly hope it is untrue. Does anybody know anything about this please?[/quote']

I saw that on the Gear Page........I have to hear it from them to believe it.....

The dealer probably just lost it's Gibson franchise by failing to meet (and pay) their strict dealership requirements. It's very expensive to be a authorized Gibson dealer and few mom & pop shops can afford to be one anymore.

As far as I know the last distributor they had here in the UK was Rosetti, who also distribute Rickenbacker and various others. But they split from Rosetti a while ago and set up their own distribution network. That is when a lot of stores seem to have lost their franchise as they could not afford the terms of the Gibson arrangement. Again, I am no expert on this, this is just what I have heard in guitar stores and from other people.

Gibson has to approve you in order to sell their guitars. I heard you have to be prepared to

keep at least one million dollars in Gibby inventory to start with...

Even then' date=' there are a few more hoops to jump through.[/quote']

mmm NO! $80,000. per year and no hoops. My local Mom and Pops has no trouble at all.

Don't drink the Koolaid.

I was in my local music store today. They used to be a Gibson Dealer but are not now. They had a used Gibson in I was looking at and the shop assistant told me that Gibson had just gone bankruped. I have not seen anything about this in the press' date=' and am sure this forum would be full of it, so I can only assume that this information is untrue. I certainly hope it is untrue. Does anybody know anything about this please?[/quote']

Which store is that?

Why doesn't a representative from Gibson come on to these threads and put and end to these rumors??

Regards

GAK (guitar amp and keyboard) and guitarguitar are the big boys when it comes to gibson in the uk...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?search=1&k=&m=Gibson&t=Les+Paul+Style&x=26&y=11&c=Electric+Guitars&s=

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/Gibson-Les-Paul

+1

I was in there three days ago and they have the best selection of Gibson's I have seen in years...

Regards

The cost to simply build the guitar is not what makes them so pricey.

It's the pre production that eats the cash up.

Research and matching is not free or cheap on the signature models (Slash /Page / Haynes ect'.

Metrology and laser template's of the original instrument is expensive and time consuming.

The man hours alone prior to construction is staggering.

The company has to dole out hundreds of thousands of dollars before the first piece of wood is put o the line for production.

And lets not forget the hundreds of people on the production line, they need a paycheck too.

Then you have distribution, advertising, marketing.

Archived