Gibson Brands Forums

It didn't start with Robert Johnson

Cruznolfart

I've been enjoying the recent addition to the Bluesville songlist of several numbers from the new release Things About Comin' My Way Tribute to the Music of the Mississippi Sheiks (2009) Nothing from that cd is yet on the net but here's a cover of the title tune by Guy Davis. A beautiful version is done on the cd by Ndidi Onukwulu.

From comments on the youtube page regarding this tune:

The Mississippi Shieks recorded "Sitting On Top Of The World" in 1930. Hudson Whittaker a/k/a Tampa Red used the same melody when he recorded "Things About Coming My Way" in 1931, backed up by pianist Georgia Tom Dorsey. Tampa was the first bluesman to play a National steel-bodied guitar.

Thats about the? same time Robert Johnson was still anoying the hell out of people and following Son House and Willy Brown around before he made his "deal".

Enjoy some Blues!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Awesome, so you say Robert Johnson used an existing song and made into Come On In My Kitchen?

Those are awesome turnarounds on that song, I wish I could play like that. I read a lot of guys that play this style prefer Gibsons due to the 24 3/4" scale being ideal for turnarounds.

Awesome' date=' so you say Robert Johnson used an existing song and made into Come On In My Kitchen?

Those are awesome turnarounds on that song, I wish I could play like that. I read a lot of guys that play this style prefer Gibsons due to the 24 3/4" scale being ideal for turnarounds.[/quote']

Glad you noticed that, Stiffhand, I admired his turnarounds too. Sure makes 'em look easy.

Interesting...

Try to listen to Robert Johnson' date=' he only recorded 41 tracks, 12 of them are alternate takes so he only recorded 29 actual songs before he was [i']ahem[/i] poisoned and yet he's made a huge impact in music.

Try to listen to Robert Johnson' date=' he only recorded 41 tracks, 12 of them are alternate takes so he only recorded 29 actual songs before he was [i']ahem[/i] poisoned and yet he's made a huge impact in music.

Ya, but also his guitar playing was big not just that he considers the first to play delta blues.

I was talking about his guitar playing' date=' he is not considered the first Delta Blues player by a long shot.

[/quote']

Also, in response to your first question; in listening to the 3 songs it becomes evident that the lyrics and turnarounds are about the only differences. But that is itself a part of the Blues tradition, at least from what I've gathered. It is, in part, why so many of the early pickers would often turn their back to the audience and other players to prevent their trademark licks from being copied. Johnson was one who was known for that...both copying AND protecting his licks from being copied.

Thanks for posting that Cruz! Nice. Will have to look up that cd. Makes me want to go back to practicing my finger picking that I never ever mastered. Could not get the mind set which surprises me. I have pretty good hand to eye co ordination and a natural feel for rhythm, imo. Just can not get the mindset on finger picking yet and that is one of my favorite styles to listen to. Yes, I am trolling for hints and techniques. [biggrin]

Guess my little hiatus over the holidays made me miss the new rude dude. No loss, but I bet the fireworks did fly. That part I did miss, maybe. It sucks working retail, but working is good.

Archived