Gibson Brands Forums

GC has a used 1960 VOS...opinions please

theodessakid

Was checkimg out a used VOS with the 60s neck at the local GC. Played pretty nice, good tone, good feel.

Had that lived in look with faded metal etc. Had a pretty good case of buckle rash on the back and even with that they were asking $2399. I am sure they would take less as I didn't see any one fighting over it. What is your opinion of the VOS guitars. I saw one trade on e-bay for $1800 and it was in better shape...no rash.

The R0 is a great is a great guitar just like the R8 and R9. Just make sure you are comfortable with the thinner neck. The '58 & '59 have the beefier neck which in my experience more people prefer. Just be sure to compare both so you know which feels best to you.

Was checkimg out a used VOS with the 60s neck at the local GC. Played pretty nice' date=' good tone, good feel.

Had that lived in look with faded metal etc. Had a pretty good case of buckle rash on the back and even with that they were asking $2399. I am sure they would take less as I didn't see any one fighting over it. What is your opinion of the VOS guitars. I saw one trade on e-bay for $1800 and it was in better shape...no rash.[/quote']

if you like it,GET IT.dont let someone else get it.

It doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks, though it does sound like your looking for someone to say:

What are you still sitting here for, go man go! Don't forget to post those pictures once you bring her home!

It doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks' date=' though it does sound like your looking for someone to say:

[b']What are you still sitting here for, go man go! Don't forget to post those pictures once you bring her home![/b]

couldn't of said it any better.

I guess I'm wondering' date=' what makes this different from a standard other than cosmetics?[/quote']

It is a Standard...a 1960 Les Paul Standard. Completely different that the Gibson USA like of Standards. That's why they're called Reissues.

It can be confusing at first. Either go to your local guitar store and ask or do some research on Gibson/Gibson Custom.com. They may look the same to the untrained eye, but they're not.

I was told GC wasn't going to do in store bartering/haggling/negotiating like they used to anymore by the sales manager of the store by me. He made it sound like it was a corporate decision rather than individual store, and I was somewhat irritated (Somewhat long story).*

I was told GC wasn't going to do in store bartering/haggling/negotiating like they used to anymore by the sales manager of the store by me. He made it sound like it was a corporate decision rather than individual store' date=' and I was somewhat irritated (Somewhat long story).*[/quote']

Well then they can forget any business they get from me. I only shop there because they usually get "newly released" gear quicker than my local stores, and occasionally I'll need a pedal as soon as it comes out. I can't speak for any other GC (but I imagine it's the same anywhere) but the employees here are VULTURES and will basically blow you to make a sale. Usually all you have to do is ASK to get them to give you a hella great deal, free warranty, etc.

I have been able to negotiate so well that I can go home and flip the same gear on eBay and make a sweet profit.

If they're not gonna do it anymore, then screw them. They're the Wal-Mart of music stores.

GC is like every other business in life run by people some stores are great and some suck and rip you off. I happen to be by a great one the guitar manger is smart honest and great to work with he's even called me or set stuff aside when he knows it might interest me and I get calls or emails if something cool arrives or something is going on in the store he's also been there for years and makes it feel like a neighborhood shop.

All that and I still try to support mom and pops just because GC s the I-tunes of hardware and shutting everything else down but he's cool.

In reverse I've been in Mom and Pops when I'm in trouble on the road somewhere and been gouged bad just because they know they have me. A few years back I broke a Schaller I called a nearby store and told a guy I was in a bind and looking for a straplock he had one sure no problem. Got there with no time to spare and he hooked me up all right 35 bucks plus tax for a sixteen dollar part, I know i wasn't a local but sheesh if I would have had time I would have used a wood screw and a pepsi can tab but we both new he had me so I paid. I also told a bar full of people what a dillweed he was hope he lost customers.

Sorry to all for the rant I guess it hits a nerve still people are people and life goes on....

I was told GC wasn't going to do in store bartering/haggling/negotiating like they used to anymore by the sales manager of the store by me. He made it sound like it was a corporate decision rather than individual store' date=' and I was somewhat irritated (Somewhat long story).*[/quote']

I'll give you the Readers Digest version as to why they changed their policy. Guitar Center last year used to trade as a public Company (Stock symbol NASDAQ: GTRC). Along came a private equity frim named Bain Capital that was not in very good financial order to begin with, but they bought out Guitar Center which of course means they also got Musiciansfriend.com, Music123.com, and other sub-businesses.

As I understand it right now Bain is facing bankruptcy on some of it's other acquisitions and was hoping the Guitar Center Purchase would turn out to be a cash generating cow, but has not lived up to their expectations or apparently financial needs. So they have started to make changes to cut margins further within Guitar Center, one of the first was the price matching and haggle flexability was eliminated. My own personal guess is that we will start to see parts of the business to be sold off down the road. This of course is great news for the mom and pop shops who are selling products below the prices of guitar center. The dealers I buy from normally sell at -40% off of list as a routine, where you hardly see Guitar Center sell at that much off unless it's a sale.

But make no mistake, people do buy from Guitar Center, and Musicians friend becuase they run financing programs like 1 year no interest, etc... But the Mom & Pop shops are getting wise to that and have teamed up with AIMM backed by citibank to offer credit deals as well. This, while probably not too much of a hit in the scheme of things, probably bleeds some sales away from Guitar Center too.

I have bought from both Guitar Center and their subsidiary Musicians Friend over the years, but mostly lower priced items. I have always bought the bigger ticket items (Over $1,000) from local mom and pop dealers just becuase of the service I receive and attention the instrument gets that much of the staff at the big box shops can't offer.

I'd go with the guitar I can play first before buying it. The other one might look nicer, but who knows if you'll like it as much as the one you've already played. Or, hold out for another one that you like and is in better condition. In any case, they all end up with some buckle rash eventually.

Archived