Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 59 limited edition Les Paul

sunburstfaded

These guitars are starting to arrive here in the UK priced at £650 and they certainly look the part, but are they any good. I briefly owned a Slash goldtop Epiphone and was surprised at how good it was. Any Epi players out there with experience of the 59 LEs? I am talking about the ones with the Gibbo pickups etc, I think they come in two finishes only.

I think you should try one out if you're interested in buying one of these.

You can't really apply "are they any good" to guitars and have to rate each one individually.

Also, try the Epiphone Forum (go back to the main forum page and scroll down).

This section is strictly Gibson Les Pauls and you're more likely to get answers by posting your questions in the right section.

Problem is there aren't any within 400 miles of me right now. One of the local dealers had two but they were sold out before they arrived! There are only 1959 of each model being produced so there are only a handful actually arriving in the UK and most seem to have been pre-ordered. I had a look at the Epi forum but couldn't find any mention of these models. I don't think they could ever be a par on the Gibsons, but for the money they do seem to have a few very tempting features. Like I said, i had the Epi Slash goldtop and thought i was terrific quality for £500. Because of the timeframe and short supply, by the time I actually track one down, it is usually sold!

To me, instead of buying a ''top of the line'' Epiphone, I would by a affordable Gibson, like a Studio or a BFG Gary Moore. I believe a Gibson is going to get better as years go by, not sure for the Epiphone. And I'm not about value, desirability, look, sound, etc ...

If money is an object, you could look for a used one. As you can see, I'm not into Epiphones, sorry ! :-

well, since I had a budget around $1K both the Epi 59 reissue and the Studio were on my list. I played both, and frankly I was not impressed with the plasticky finish and BQ on the Epi, it just seemed cheap. So I went with an Alpine White/Chrome LP Studio, and could not be happier. What a fantastic guitar.

Besides, the only good Epis are the older models and the Elitist line which, according to my luthier, isnt being made anymore.

Thus, Epi = good starter and learner guitar, Gibby LP = more for professionals and serious music hobbyists

In addition to reasons stated already, here's one more to avoid the Epi.

Remember all that money you saved when you bought the cheapo guitar?

Try selling it now - you just lost it.

Upgrading the guitar with Gibson parts just digs the hole deeper.

A buyer looking at a used Epi isn't gonna pay you for all the parts.

He expects the pots, switch, jack, tuners and all that to work no matter what you did to it.

If it craps out, try selling it with a pickup that won't work or a constant hum.....

Even with "Gibbo" pickups, the electronics in them suck.

Pots and switch cannot be upgraded without removing some wood.

Same for the tuners.

Archived