Gibson Brands Forums

SG Hard cases

Rui Barata

Hello my friends

I'm new to the Gibson world.

I bought a SG Special Faded Brown and, although it's not the best of the SG models, I'm loving it.

Now I know what is to play a good guitar...what a difference.[crying]

Well...I'm looking for a hard case to keep my guitar safe. I found these TKL cases.

Does any of you know these cases? My main concern is to avoid bumps of the guitar inside the case.

Many thanks in advance.

Rui

I have one of those TKL cases for my SG. While I wouldn't drop it off of my house with the guitar inside, it does the trick. Trekked all over the Midwest US with it and never had an issue. This is with the guitar in case being loaded in and out of the van and sometimes having other guitars stacked on top.

If you gig out, ditch the gig bag. It's not really fit for gigs unless you want to baby your guitar while moving it.

I had a couple TKL cases (they had Epiphone stamped on 'em instead of Gibson though). They were okay. One lasted me about 10 years, until one of the latches crapped the bed. Are the prices accurate on the link you put up, or are they just MSRP? I don't remember paying that much for mine. Anyway, if they are actually $189.95, you can get a much better SKB case or the equivalent for around the same price (if not less). I'd recommend going that route if you are planning on gigging a lot.

Thanks for all the information

Yes, the prices are correct. I've been checking for TKL and SBK cases in my country but they're not easy to find.

But I found that Epiphone also makes hard cases especially designed for their SG model. The price is 75 EURO (USD 107).

The only doubt is if the Epiphone SG model has the same size than Gibsons.

Thanks

"only" 10 years.... not long then lol. after 10 years ist not so bad if you have to get another case :)

Haha. Yeah' date=' you're right. I probably could have just got a new latch.

Plus keeping your Gibson in an Epiphone case might lower the risk of it being stolen on the road. ;)

That's a great point! -All those years I used that Epi case and I didn't even think of that.

Plus keeping your Gibson in an Epiphone case might lower the risk of it being stolen on the road. [drool]

Right! I never thought about that too! That's a good point, indeed.

I can get an Epiphone case designed for the SG model for 102,10 EURO (147 USD / 92 GBP), transport and taxes included. I think it's a little bit expensive and probably I can get one cheaper. Just have to look more.

Thanks

Rui

A Gibson SG won't fit in an Epiphone SG case and vice versa. TKL notes this in their material.

I have a TKL for my Special Faded' date=' and it's well made. No flight case, but no flight case price, either.[/quote']

Then you must explain how I withdrawable my Gibson SG STD in my Hard Epihone box and My Emily epiphone Sg Had my box Gisbon SG?

I have done several times without worry!!

If I said it because I personally tested!

I bought the Epiphone hard case.

It fits almost ok. When I say almost, I mean in a scale of 0~100 it fits 95.

The body has the exact format of the case interior, no gaps. The arm (is this the correct name?) of the guitar doesn't rest 100% on the case with it opened but at least it doesn't have the risk of suffering a severe hit.

I want the case not for gigging, I just want it to have a good protection when I'm not playing it.

Thanks

Hello my friends

I posted some pictures of my SG's condition in the Epiphone hard case. Sorry for the bad quality, they were taken with my cell phone.

Exteriously, the looking is really nice:

Img017.jpg

The interior of the case it's really confortable[biggrin], as you can see:

Img028.jpg

The guitar sits inside the case very tightly:

Img018.jpg

Img019.jpg

It has also a place for the strap holder:

Img026.jpg

The only place where the shapes are not the same is this one:

Img025.jpg

but it doesn't mean that the guitar doesn't fit. It fits and keeps tight inside the case. Any movement is impossible.

The only consequence, I think, is that, for the guitar to fit inside the case, it has to be rotated slightly. It makes the headstock to be slightly disaligned to the right, as you can see next:

Img027.jpg

As far as I understood from case's reviews, it seems each case is different, even within the same model and brand. In my case, this disalignement is not critical because the headstock doesn't touch the inner wall.

Now about the neck....the middle neck doesn't rest in the case (not visible in the next photo). It has a gap of a few mm's.

Img020.jpg

The same happens near the headstock, it has a gap of about 2 to 3 mm's. If you make just a little pressure it starts to touch, even if slightly disaligned to the right.

Img021.jpg

I analysed the case because I was worried about this. It happens because the bottom of the case, where the back of the body rests, is not horizontal, which makes the headstock to be raised (see second picture).

This could be a problem, but if you notice the next photo, the inner lid has a soft "bump" that makes pressure on the guitar, at the pick-up area. Because the bottom is also very soft, it goes down with this pressure, making the headstock to go down too and then rest in the support. This pressure in the pick-up area is nothing special, it just a few grams..I'm not even sure if this is enough for the strings to touch the pick-ups.

There is also a small "bump" inside the case lid, at the middle neck area:

Img024.jpg

When the case is closed, the guitar is tightly secured and surrounded by an assembly of really soft layers.

I think this case, because I won't be gigging with it, gives a good protection to my SG.

If you want to make some comments, they are wellcome.

Rui

Archived