Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L5-S Anyone?

Mark Lee

Any owners of the original L5-S solid body guitars out there? I've been GAS-ing for one for a while now. I have a few questions about them: What is the average weight? Are they chambered or solid? And what is the scale length, 25 or 24 3/4? Also, if anyone has one and wants a trade, I have a 1975 Fender Telecaster with an original chrome mid 60's Gibson PAF in the neck which I might be willing to trade off for one.

My Keith Richards Black Gibson L5S is stamped "prototype" on the back in white ink under the CS serial #. I took it to Gruhn in Nashville 3 years ago where he authenticated it to be the NAMM Model. The story when I got it was that #1 and #2 Prototypes went to Keith and Ron Wood and # 3 ended up at Summer NAMM 2004. Mine was purchased from Gibson by a special status dealer who qualified for the option to buy the show model. My write up from George Gruhn stated that between 10 and 20 where known to be made. He said the value was hard to determine as there were no values to compare to and is more subjective to the individual interested. It is historic that Keith never endorsed the model during a time when Jimmy Page, Ace Freely, Angus Young, Zac Wilde, Rossington, etc. were signing on to their own signature models. There wasn't much info on the model back then and he said the MSRP was $2,499 and gave me an extra $1,000 for being a prototype and NAMM model. The appraisal was $3,500 and the MSPR turned out to be $5,444. George offered to buy it from me right after the $3,500 remark. Sadly, I am selling this guitar on ebay within the next few days. Look for it and say hello to one of the rarest Gibson guitars of the modern collectable era. It isn't too often that you get a chance to see one, let alone one on the open market.

Welcome to the forum! would you be interested in trading for the Fender Tele? they're /were both used by Keef which is what got me interested. the pickup alone with the original PAF decals is probably worth quite a substantial amount. also, is the scale length longer than a Les Paul? I've heard some sources state a Johnny Smith style 25 inch scale length and some 24.75. the extra 1/4 inch makes guitars a lot more comfortable for me.

Archived