Gibson Brands Forums

Hit me with the pro's and con's

SGdad

First off, I don't play. My 14 year old son plays and between him and my cousin (guitar instructor) I have been persuaded to take some lessons. I think it may be too late (I'm 40) for me to start, but hey, I'm kinda really starting to like the idea of a challenge and have always wanted to play. My kids are getting older and I have a little more free time now, so I'm closing in on "go time" for this.

I have some options...

1. Use my son's first guitar, a cheap Fender Strat. (I'm not a big fan of this)

2. Use my son's current guitar, a Gibson Standard SG. (My son is not a big fan of this, even though I bought it for him, he wants me to keep my greasy paws off his axe)

3. By myself my own guitar.

I'm leaning towards choice 3 for a few reasons with the main one being that if I don't take to the lessons and quit, I can give the guitar to my son.

So now the debate on what guitar to buy, which is really tough since I don't play. I'm leaning towards getting what my kid wants for his next guitar and that is a Les Paul, just in case he ends up with it.

There are a few things I'm looking for... I want a Gibson, under $2,000, with binding. I'd like different pick ups than the Standard SG (so the guitars are truly different). Colors I like are black, white or a cool natural looking wood tone. If black, I'd prefer NOT to have gold hardware.

So I've come up with this so far... It meets what I'm looking for, the kid likes it and the coil tapping thing seems cool.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105312888-i1444565.gc

I would get the ebony. What do you guys think? Is there something else I should put into my "consideration box"?

I'm not sure when I'm gonna pull the trigger on this. I'm a research guy and I'm still researching. It just sucks because since I don't play, I'm not sure I even know what I'm doing?!?!?! [confused]

Anyhoo, I'd appreciate any imput you guys/gals have to offer...

I vote for option #3. I have played that Les Paul at GC and it is a nice guitar. As far as learning to play is concerned, age is not a problem. I found as I got older that I had a lot more patience and drive. That along with desire is the right combination to learn just about anything. So go out and treat yourself to a new Les Paul. Good luck.

Kenny V

Thanks for the imput on how it plays! I was going to ask that' date=' but forgot...[/quote']

Coil tapping binding etc....

Dunno how it plays, but I'm saving for one.

If your son likes slash, the heritage cherry burst as a similar look to slash's 88 standards before they got all faded.

Thats, kinda why I picked that finish...

Or the Vintage Sunburst has its similarities to slash's tobacco burst signature.

Oh yea, I vote for option 3 too

Nice to see you trying out the guitar at your "advanced" age. The Traditional is a fine guitar. Certainly get it if you like it. But I suggest that you learn to play on an acoustic. The main reason is that it'll strengthen your fingers more than an electric; kinda like training in high altitude for a race. Get a cheap acoustic with your electric, but play the acoustic a lot more until your strength is up there. Just be careful about overdoing it.

Also, go to a few music stores and play them. Look for flaws, like paint bleeding. Do not pay the price that is on the sticker. That also means do not buy it online. Eventually you'll get to a store owner who will give you a sweet deal. I bought two guitars each for $2,200 that GC was selling for over $3,000. These deals are out there...

I don't want to be the party pooper and I would never advise someone to "not" get a nice Les Paul. But, be aware if you're just learning:

IMO LPs are not the most comfortable guitars to play in a sitting position

Also, plugged into an amp, they are not very forgiving. By this I mean that I've found that if I make a mistake playing my LP it is very noticable. If my fingers aren't just right on the fretboard, the guitar tells me so. In contrast, my Strat is a little more forgiving in that way.

Having said that, my LP is my favorite guitar and no other guitar has such a sweet sound and tone IMO.

Also' date=' plugged into an amp, they are not very forgiving. By this I mean that I've found that if I make a mistake playing my LP it is very noticable. If my fingers aren't just right on the fretboard, the guitar tells me so. In contrast, my Strat is a little more forgiving in that way.[/quote']

So, Saturn; correct me if I misread your post but it seems to me that what you are saying is that your playing technique would, out of neccessity, improve sooner with a Les Paul than a Strat.........

[cool]

JK. And the Strat is certainly a more comfortable instrument to play sitting down. Important for us 'oldies'...

Hm... when you have the money to buy a good guitar, feel free to do it...

... but I don`t think it is necessary for the first steps of learning guitar. The hint to start with an acoustic guitar is a good one in my oppinion. You learn to hear the natural sound and need to play more exactly, which is very important. And also to just start with the strat you already have (a strat copy or what does "cheap" fender strat mean?) is not a bad advice.

When my "good" guitar got new frets I had to play with my "beginners"-guitar again (strat copy from cheri). I recognized it sounded really well, which I had forgotten after playing my LP... When yours is a really bad sounding guitar and you draw motivation out of playing a good one that`s fine... but don`t forget... the problem sits behind the guitar especially as a beginner ;-)

Option 3 for sure.

I use to be a drummer, well I guess I still am, but when I decided to play guitar I got a nice LP.

My reasoning was that I would have to practice because I had such a nice guitar staring at me. [angry]

Plus, I didn't want my money being wasted. That was my motivation.

But the best reason is, A good guitar makes the player better, no matter what the skill level is. [scared]

Good Luck.

My guess is if you buy the Les Paul and learn to play, even just a little, your son will never get his greasy hands on your axe.LOL

Get the LP, you won't be sorry. And, don't give up. Also, as mentioned previously, learn to play on a cheap acoustic for a while, then you will appreciate the LP even more. And, play standing up. Don't forget the strap locks...

Definitely option 3. As for being too old to learn, I say nay. Granted I'm 24 and started playing at age 11, I just re-started lessons after a roughly 7 year hiatus wherein I played, but did not really 'practice'. I find that I am now more inclined to actually work on the various exercises and to practice the scales, arpeggios, etc. rather than just sit and try to learn different songs. Just remember, learning to play a guitar is like learning to play golf, it's never too late to start learning.

As for what guitar to get, I'd suggest what others have stated, go and visually inspect and handle several and see which ones look and feel right to you.

Option 3 absolutely!

It is a fantastic instrument that will last you years so go for it.

I would add though, if you can live without binding the Studio is great sounding just a top quality LP, without the aesthetic frills. Get a great guitar for the price that way.

As for learning on acoustic guitar first, it sounds like you would prefer electric, so if you want to make it harder on your fingers just put heavier strings on your LP and get the added benefit of better tone.

Another opinion in the mix;

You said you want binding - GET IT!

The lack of cosmetic frills on the Studio can really kill the guitar buzz.

It's an emotional thing, don't cheap out and later wish you had gotten what you really wanted.

I've never heard somebody buy a Traditional or Standard and then wish they had gotten the Plain Jane Studio.

Just sayin'....

Buy that Traditional if that's what you're leaning towards.

Get a good quality guitar that looks killer and makes you proud to own it.

You'll need that aspect of ownership when you hit stumbling blocks in learning from time to time.

One word of caution with black, it's cruelly unforgiving where scratches and swirls are concerned.

The more you clean it, the worse it looks.

At a distance, it looks cool as hell, but up close it will break your heart.

I owned two of 'em, an '86 and a '93.

I like white, just remember the nitro finish also collects stains that can not be removed.

Keep it clean, and make sure whatever it sits on is covered with white cotton cloth to protect the paint.

Same for natural finishes, just not as easily seen.

Personally, I LOVE natural finishes.

As for different pickups, the LP will sound much different than the SG even with identical pickups.

Get the guitar, and if you decide it just ain't for you then clean it up and put it away for the future.

The kid doesn't want you playing his SG, don't let him get your LP out and 'experiment' with it!!!!

Okay, maybe if he really likes it.... #-o

But he can get his own damned LP in the future!

Another tip I agree with;

Get a $400 acoustic to keep by the sofa.

Alvarez makes some really good guitars in this range with gloss finishes.

Bought one for our boy, and played it quite a bit myself.

Keep the LP safely put away between playing and noodle around on the acoustic while watching TV.

Another tip that will cause a sh!t storm;

Play some American Stratocasters.

They are much more versatile, and offer a beginner an easier path.

Not that it will take the place of a Les Paul, but it costs half and is also a well-made guitar that will hold value.

They are very different from the SG in every way, and will broaden the scope of your knowledge.

If you're lucky, the kid won't want it....

:D/

Give 'em a look anyway.

Or just buy the damned Les Paul because it's what you really want and ignore all of us!!!

#-o[thumbup]:-$[thumbup][biggrin][thumbup][biggrin][thumbup][crying]

As far as you're only starting playing guitar, I think option no. 1 is better for you. If you get hooked, then you could please yourself and getting the Les Paul disease : always wanting another one, a better looking top, ...

'Till this day, make sure you really love playing, 'cause the disease is pretty expensive !

Another tip that will cause a sh!t storm; Play some American Stratocasters. They are much more versatile' date=' and offer a beginner an easier path. Not that it will take the place of a Les Paul, but it costs half and is also a well-made guitar that will hold value. [thumbup']:-k[thumbup]:-k[thumbup][biggrin][thumbup][cursing][thumbup]

No sh!t storm here, that's a good point. the New American Strats have fingerboards finished similar to Rickenbackers, glossy and slick, and are, like Ricks, quite forgiving for a NOOB. When I resumed my 20-year haitus playing guitar in 2007, I picked a rare Rick 360 because the thin and fast neck is so forgiving and thus I was able to get back to my previous level of competence within a few months (despite some of the intonation issues I have with the Rick and its trapeze tailpiece.)

It is something to consider. Good luck.

NeoConman has a point

After having both an American standard Tele and a American Deluxe Strat they are both good guitars and durable guitars.Nice to have in any collection. The Tele is built like a Tank!. I have 3 Gibsons and they are awesome. However I really appreciate them.They are gorgeous and the tone is fantastic. Yes the single coils are probably more versitle but the power and sustain of my Les Paul Standard and my recently acquired ES 335 is jaw dropping. The power of these Guitars are incredible.I had a Rick on order but I landed a fantastic ES335.She is a keeper!

You will not go wrong with an American standard they very good.When he is ready then the introduction to the tonemonsters can begin.

Go with a tele and a little reverb and a tube screamer you will be off to a good start without breaking the bank.

Although SG's are a pretty good deal right now!

:-k

Man I have to learn to read!

If it is for you and your budget is $2000 and below You are in SG 61 Reissue territory with 57 pickups (Very Good).

You may want to look at a Rick 620 single coil which is a very good guitar. Or a Smoke Green Gretsch aniversary 6118 is also a very good guitar and is pretty versitile.

[cool]

Archived