Gibson Brands Forums

With -or- without Maestro / Bigsby?

LPDEN

To Maestro, or not to Maestro, that is the question. Do you have an Maestro equipped Gibson already? Would you buy another? Why?

Or do you want one for your next Gibson? If so, Why?

maestro_tailpiece.jpg

Or even a Bigsby for you Bigsby aficionados...

415622_Xjpg.jpg

I have a fetish for Maestros and Bigsbys.

I only own one Maestro equipped Gibson (2006 SG 61) identical to the one in the above pic.

I would LOVE to have a Bigsby on a Les Paul!

I have a Guild Starfire III and a Kustom K-200 with Bigsbys.

They DO make a guitar look soooo classy.

I also like subtle vibrato.

Bigsby is pretty stable for tuning, and I cannot complain about my Maestro SG 61 at all.

Beats the hell out of all my Strats for staying in tune.

I have long loved a Bigsby on LP's ES's and Gretch's. I was a big fan of Scotty Moore's (Elvis' guitarist) ES-295 . When this Guitar of the month came out, I went into drool mode. =D> I have been looking at so many different models lately my head has been spinning, and since I can't buy them all I have been doing some soul searching. The LP-295 is the one that has stayed a front-runner.

006680542-body-l.jpg

I have owned a 68 SG special since 69. It is equipped with the Maestro and I never use it. It has the compensated bridge and it like the tone you get from it. I probably would not go and get another one. I don't use a whammy bar on any of my guitars including my Strats.

I have a SG Standard with Lyre Maestro... I had to have it. I was obsessed!!! I couldn't be happier and everyones mouth drops when they see it. I'm not a great player (yet) but working hard at it. If I don't use the tremolo it stays in tune no problem. If you use it you will have to make adjustments at the end of the song but for what it gives you its well worth it... GO FOR IT!!!!

DSC01769.jpg

Man, Maestro's are cool and sound so awesome on the olde SG Standard, I was lucky enough to get one factory on my 97 Standard...I love it..I just have an issue moding a orignal Gibby...I think it hurts the value..but if your gonna keep it forever who the Hell cares..If you look at the guitars that are worth the dough...they are mostly unmolested . Thats what the collectors want...But Who cares..Rock On..

but putting the bigsby on will it stay in tune?

I played a 50 minute set one evening with a bigsby equipped Gretsch. Some tunes I played pretty hard across the strings, and we did two Ventures songs where I used the bigsby a good deal. Not once did I need to retune any strings. I don't have an equal experience with a Maestro other than noodling around but it seemed just fine. On the other hand, Jazzmasters and Strats I played using the trem were constantly putting me out of tune.

No. Maestros are usually found on SG's and Firebirds...

Bigsbys on LP and ES models...

Maestro vibrolas CAN be used on both LP's and ES models, despite the arched tops( the end of the maestro unfolds like a trapeeze tailpiece to allow this) and were used quite extensively by Gibson in the 60's on the ES line as their answer to the Bigsby, however the Maestro Vibrola was generally/historically unpopular with players.

Ive owned both SG's with Maestro Vibrolas (and still have ) and also in the past both LP and ES models with Bigsbys. The maestro is functional but i guess the main attraction is the look it adds to an SG in particular. Bigsbys have proved to me more functional in the 'mad' vibrato stakes (Witness Neil Young anyone?) to me at least, though i only currently own Maestro loaded guitars and no Bigsby loaded guitars!!!. I would say go for either but try and get a factory fitted model partly for ease but secondly so you are not bothered by unsightly holes left by the removal of a stop bar etc.

Maestro vibrolas CAN be used on both LP's and ES models

Yes, they are found and can be used on different models, but I was speaking in more general terms of what is more used uniformily on production guitars... I agree with your assessment on the Bigsby and the Neil Young example is a good reference. I have seen him in many concerts rockin' out on his LP w/ bigsby, great stuff!

Archived