Gibson Brands Forums

Pizza

Californiaman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evil Chicago pizzas; don't like their kind!; Just because they have more dough, they think they are so much superior to the thin and crispy Italian bases. The Italian bases were the indigenous pizza of pizzaland until the Chicago and New York Pizza made them menu slaves! LOL

Equal rights to Neopolitan bases!! Can we make a difference...YES WE CAN:-"

Matt

Chicago style, when done right, is my favorite. The two keys are

1. Good crust. Too many places in the city have this nasty white flour crust. Tastes like they pressed salteens into the pan. You have to put some corn meal in there for texture and taste. And don't skimp on that olive oil in the pan.

2. Fillings (can't call them toppings, can you?). I like mine one way; the classic way: little garlic, little onion, and lotsa spinach.

The worst pizza is that thin crust stuff they pedal around Chicago. Again, like eating pizza off of a salteen. Exceptions are the authentic Napoli pizza you get at Spacca Napoli in Chicago or any of the killer wood fire pizza joints. A close second on my list is good old fashion American hand tossed pizza. Guess that would describe New York style, no?

I like it as thin as possible...

The best pizza, to me, is still one-town-over with sweet sauce.

I had some in Brooklyn that was pretty good. I had "Famous Original Ray's" in Manhattan once, but it was too crispy for my taste. I like it thin and crisp, but I don't like it to crunch when I bite it.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the "Saltine" crust either. Here in the city I like my crust to be moderately flat, but still relatively fluffy on the inside--slightly crisp on the outside.

Chicago-style pizza is potentially some good stuff, too. Again, I've had great and I've had not great--but I've had less of it, so it's not fair for me to judge.

I've yet to meet a pizza I didn't like. Generally we get thin around here - but not saltine cracker thin - just regular thin. There was a Chicago style place in my hometown, and it was real good. I've also had Chicago style pizza in Chicago as well and it was great. I even had the "best NY style pizza" (so the sign said) in New York City, but it wasn't very good, and it was an Indian place. NYC is like that. [flapper]

I've yet to meet a pizza I didn't like. Generally we get thin around here - but not saltine cracker thin - just regular thin. There was a Chicago style place in my hometown' date=' and it was real good. I've also had Chicago style pizza in Chicago as well and it was great. I even had the "best NY style pizza" (so the sign said) in New York City, but it wasn't very good, and it was an Indian place. NYC is like that. [biggrin']

Next time you're in NYC, let me know. I'll email you a list of the best pizza places in NYC upon that occasion, if it so happens to arise.

I remember my Mom, when "pizza" first began expanding into the hinterlands in the early 50s along with television, made her first ones from a mix box in regular pie pans. Lots and lots of half burger and half sausage about an inch thick, then lotza cheeze. Tasted kinda like a cheeseburger 'stedda a pizza as I know it now. <grin> Then she saw what it was s'posed to look like and it never was quite as good.

Now? It all depends on the day and how hungry I am. I like a very spicy but not "hot" sauce, lotza cheeze and a good Italian sausage regardless. Had some great pizza in Boston when I was a teen.

Hadda girlfriend who added cooked rice into the topping on a thin crust. It actually was pretty good 'cuz it absorbed the sauce nicely and tempered some pretty hot sausage spices.

Made on a ceramic baking "plate" is nice.

Oddest pizza I ever had was in Korea. <grin> It tasted like Korean food, mostly, I think, from the toasted sesame oil that seems to flavor a lotta Korean foods. It was quite a thin crust, too. OTOH, some of the best "Italian" pasta I've had was in Korea. Hmmmm.

m

Archived