Gibson Brands Forums

Oh how Daddy hated this!

Cruznolfart

My Dad never had much love for R&R...called it "that damn thump thump thump noise". This was one of the first songs he recognized apart from the general noise...he hated it, too. LOL! I made a lotta money coverin' this when it was a new release...and for years afterwards. :-

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAeYGqO9rJ8[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, the folks were patrons of the Met in SF for many years. And Dad always gravitated to the church choir, often becoming director. His tastes were varied but never got past pop. And you'd better dress right, too, even if you were a Chuck Mangione, cuz if you were a REAL musician you didn't need some silly hat or something. :-

That made me pick mine up and start picking. Memories... funny, Stand by Me followed that song as I played. Had that one as a brainworm lately. Now I have two! Long hair sent my Dad over the edge for awhile. He said he always wanted little girls...LOL. Next thing you know, he had semi - pork chops 'cause Mom said he was old fashioned. That was a day in history. Week by week they got longer and longer.

Nice post.

I guess the best, and funniest, rock & roll moment I had with my father was one evening I was playing Alice Cooper's "Love It To Death" album on the portable RCA Hi-Fi. I've got the "Ballad of Dwight Fry" cranked up, and just as it gets to the end where Alice is screaming over and over "I gotta get outta here, I gotta get outta here, I gotta get outta here" my dad walks by, sticks his head in the door and says "BY GOD, LET THAT GUY OUT".

Everytime I hear that song to this day I can still hear his words.

That made me pick mine up and start picking. Memories... funny' date=' Stand by Me followed that song as I played. Had that one as a brainworm lately. Now I have two! Long hair sent my Dad over the edge for awhile. He said he always wanted little girls...LOL. Next thing you know, he had semi - pork chops 'cause Mom said he was old fashioned. That was a day in history. Week by week they got longer and longer.

Nice post.

[/quote']

Dad's are great; aren't they? Mine never tried to be cool about anything...but as it turns out he was cool about everything. Really didn't even think R&R was music...but bought me my first drum kit, which I still have. There was so much more to him than I ever knew...and we were close.

At the end of his life he expressed pride and happiness in the fact that I had become, even in his eyes, a musician. Perhaps partly due to the fact that I never let him forget how grateful I was for those drums. Wish I could'a had both my folks for another 50 years...at least.

I guess the best' date=' and funniest, rock & roll moment I had with my father was one evening I was playing Alice Cooper's "Love It To Death" album on the portable RCA Hi-Fi. I've got the "Ballad of Dwight Fry" cranked up, and just as it gets to the end where Alice is screaming over and over "I gotta get outta here, I gotta get outta here, I gotta get outta here" my dad walks by, sticks his head in the door and says "BY GOD, LET THAT GUY OUT".

Everytime I hear that song to this day I can still hear his words.[/quote']

LOL! Thanks for that, Larry, great story. I hope it never leaves your head. Louie Louie got a similar commentary from my Dad when he kept hearing the "we gotta go now" over and over. [flapper]

My grandfather used to actually pay me to turn off my KISS records. One dollar in fact. I'd put it back on the next day and make another dollar. After 5 days, I could buy another KISS album.

My dad could stand most of my music except reggae. He absolutely hated it for some reason. Never understood that.

Such was my youth.

My dad liked classical music but he liked the single version of The Beatles "Revolution", Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" & Frank Zappa's "Orchestral Favorites" album. However he once saw Frank on TV in an excerpt from "Baby Snakes" & he was totally disgusted about his looks.

Craig

My dad liked classical music but he liked the single version of The Beatles "Revolution"' date=' Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" & Frank Zappa's "Orchestral Favorites" album. However he once saw Frank on TV in an excerpt from "Baby Snakes" & he was totally disgusted about his looks.

Craig[/quote']

LOL! Yeah, Frank wasn't real impressed with convention. [thumbup]

Archived