Gibson Brands Forums

I think I know why I could never totally shred...

saturn

Respectfully I'll disagree

Playing with gain is more difficult especially at high db levels IMO' date=' especially when recording. It requires complete control of the pickup your are using, and being able to mute other strings during a solo. Delay/echo doesn't hide anything, it actually multiplies the impurity of your performance. As for sounding better with delay/reverb, some passages do sound better with those effects. And sometimes adding those effects will allow a player to set a better mood for his or her performance.

IMO, it's not perfection that counts, it's the performance.

[/quote']

And right back at ya - again.

I said "Whenever we tend to practice/learn etc."

Mentioned nothing about recording.Never even crossed my mind,because by that stage you'd better have your chops down.

Of course,playing at concert volume or high gain as you said is another story too. As you said it mainly involves muting,yes. But you're also still going to benefit from being able to competently play the part/passage you're aiming for.

BUT...Matt was referring to being able to play the part fluidly and cleanly if I'm not wrong,and suggested starting off by doing this by playing cleanly.

Put it this way - when/if you take guitar lessons,you will never go in to learn a part on a an overdriven slapbacked guitar...until you "have it nailed". [thumbup]

I've never nailed any solo in my guitar life[biggrin] ...... But perfection isnt something I'm after, because I know I'll never reach it.

I've written songs with overdrive and solos with overdrive with echo, just to get a vibe.... I also record with my amp at full volume to get that feel I'm part of whatever the hell I'm trying to do.[thumbup]

I like to move-on ASAP to something fresh, and certainly this is my undisciplined side that comes through. But it's the only way I know how to enjoy the guitar.[blink]

I hear ya.

Even the cover bands I played in,I always improv'd the solos.Unless it was something that HAD to be played note for note-still deviated though.

Yep,if I haven't nailed a take after the 3rd. go I'll move on to something else and come back. Otherwise you'll just end up tearing your hair out...not to mention(and this is before the days of home studios and Pro Tools etc.)waisting valuable time and money.

I've totally done an about face and hardly use any FX whatsoever now. Straight into the amp.A/B'd - one clean one dirty. Wah & TS-9. That's it. The ZOOM G7 hasn't been used for donkeys...

Yep,it's all about what works for you. [thumbup]

Even the cover bands I played in' date='I always improv'd the solos.Unless it was something that HAD to be played note for note-still deviated though.

[/quote']

[biggrin]

I've always enjoyed watching guitar players that can deviate from the original, and still have hit home. Those are the players I enjoy jamming with the most. And those were always the players that made me a better musician[thumbup]

Duane and Shaun

I will let you into a secret; a kind of confession [biggrin] Sometimes when I play certain styles on the electric guitar I enjoy the rough around the edges approach too. I have met many modern rock/metal guitarists who don't agree with me on this; but the imperfection and unknown territory the guitar gets into when over driven is an invite to screw everything and follow the Wolverine in you! LOL. Afterall, I have Classical and clean jazz/blues for pursuing purity!

On this weird paradox (I ommit the swear words) but tell pupils what Charlie Parker said LOL...

“Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play"

Matt

Very interesting thread & some great posts from everyone here!

As far as ''feeling'' is concerned, it's all a matter of personal approach. As a guitarist, you can only be exactly the person you are...

As far as technique & fingering are concerned, it's all a matter of correct practice boys! Even a a few minutes of the right one, patient and ''rhythm-correct'' practice can do wonders. Just don't try to make hasty moves and persist to it. You will see fingers come alive! At least I have learned that much so far...

That's why I don't compain about my playing skills any more. I only complain about the lack of time to devot to practise! That makes sense...

Archived