Gibson Brands Forums

Treble Boosters

RichCI

I originally posted this in the "Equalizer" thread but that thread seems to have run it's course. So I thought I'd repost my message in a new thread since I don't think too many players are aware of treble boosters which are really cool pedals...

A good pedal for getting your solo out in front without a sound engineer or volume boost (particularly if your amp is already set to melt down and there's nowhere left to go - only more overdrive/compression, not volume) is a treble booster which is based on the Dallas Rangemaster. It's also very cool for adding another rhythm tone to your palette.

A treble booster is more than just a device that changes frequencies, as you turn it up it overdrives more and it's output increases at the same time. But, they're not really overdrive pedals either as it's a much different flavor of distortion. Since all of the ones I'm aware of are based on the Dallas Rangemaster, which is a very old effect from the 60's, the people and companies who build them tend to include germanium transistors in the circuit to get a sound as close to the original as they can (although, I'm sure there are some with silicon transistors as well) much like what you see with fuzz clones.

I have an Analogman Beano Boost which I like a lot but Keeley and a few other boutique pedal builders make them too.

Could be. They definitely boost high frequencies but more in a way similar to a wah set around the higher settings. I don't use mine all the time like some players but it's great for boosting up a lead or going for an over-the-top gonzo tone.

Check the link above to the Analogman web site. He has several sound clips including turning it on and off. The one disappointing part of his clips is that he's demonstrating it through a totally clean amp which, while a cool sound, isn't as great as how it sounds through an amp that's already pushed into overdrive. On the plus side, the clean amp clearly illustrates what the pedal sounds like on it's own.

i have a boost switch on the side of my way pedal. it boost the treble freq. along with the db level. its an absolutly amazing little toy. set at just the right freq. so its not scary bright but yet cuts through the mix so nicely and pushes the overdrive as well. when used on a clean channel it gives it that real nice vintage amp sound so many people crave. i recommend trying one if you haven't yet. just my opinion tho....^_^ lol

Archived