Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Fruit (hanging from the poplar trees)

G u e s t

"Strange Fruit" is a song performed most famously by Billie Holiday.

It condemned American racism, particularly the lynching of African Americans that had occurred chiefly in the South but also in other regions of the United States. Holiday's version of the song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1978. It was also included in the list of Songs of the Century, by the Recording Industry of America and the National Endowment for the Arts.

I have received an email from Thermi - who is mortified that this image was misconstrued as a jibe against black musicians by the KKK. The intention was to show the strength, nobility and compassion of the Blues musician and "where the music came from", and to encourage people to look deeper into the cultural roots of American Blues Music. It is the second time he has posted it here - both times for the same reason - out of compassion and sadness at the dreadful things that happened in the past, and in the hope that they would NEVER happen again.

Neither Thermi, nor myself will go down this route again.

Please accept our apologies for any offence caused.

None was intended.

Thankyou crazyhair and L5Larry for making us aware of this.....

I don't see how anyone could have thought that post racist. Then again I know the song, so I guess perhaps if one didn't get the reference... don't know. But I wouldn't sweat it. Perhaps a few looked up the reference, heard the song, and educated themselves.

Yup - ol' Thermi's been suspended for a week for quoting this page:-

Then it's settled.... Thermi must be a conservative...as ONLY conservatives are criticized for their statements concerning race.

Will Harry Reid be have to pay for his remarks? Bill Clinton? Hillary Clinton?

How about Sen. Robert Byrd? He was like the Grand Wizard of the KKK..... and his stupid utterances are legion..... did he EVER pay a price? Yeah.... the Democrats made him third in line for the Presidency!!

It's too bad when people can't even discuss history ... we will therefore be doomed to repeat it!

I'm speechless' date=' the degree of ignorance sometimes demonstrated on this site is quite staggering.

I saw Thermis post and instantly equated the reference to the Halliday song, a suspension for that

simply preposterous. Apologies should be due to Thermi not suspensions.[/quote']

+1

It's too bad when people can't even discuss history ... we will therefore be doomed to repeat it!

We have,do and always will.

As TS Eliot wrote:

"The sands of time in 20(now 21)centuries have brought us farther from god and nearer to the dust".

I think a lot of us Blues fans have this stuff more present than the current generation of Americans as a lot of people focus on the current dynamics of race in the USA.

There are a couple of generations of African Americans still alive that lived through pretty much the end tail of slavery and subsequent segregation.

It seems the only way to present race issues of the past is through a feel-good Disney movie where everybody ends up patting each other in the back at the end.

There is also the other side of the coin where people pretend that racism does not exist, it does, even if it is in a different form. Not to say everybody is racist and the people that are are extreme about it but there is a degree of it in existance today.

Archived