Gibson Brands Forums

Hey....

Supernova

Welcome and nice LP- it looks like it has gone through a lot. To put a cover on a humbucker you don't need wax. Pickups are wax potted to reduce microphonic feedback. In theory, you can just put the cover on. Normally, the backs of the covers are soldered on both sides of the pickup, but this is just to secure it.

Welcome and nice LP- it looks like it has gone through a lot. To put a cover on a humbucker you don't need wax. Pickups are wax potted to reduce microphonic feedback. In theory' date=' you can just put the cover on. Normally, the backs of the covers are soldered on both sides of the pickup, but this is just to secure it. [/quote']

Not all pickups are wax potted. Gibson wax pots their aftermarket stuff, but anything stock is usually left un-potted.

Not all pickups are wax potted. Gibson wax pots their aftermarket stuff' date=' but anything stock is usually left un-potted.

[/quote']

I know. I was just stating the reason why pickups are wax potted. What do you mean by "aftermarket stuff"? Many of Gibson's pickups come wax potted.

I know. I was just stating the reason why pickups are wax potted. What do you mean by "aftermarket stuff"? Many of Gibson's pickups come wax potted.

Aftermarket means the stuff they make that does not come on the guitar stock when you buy it new. It seems a bit odd that they would not give the stock stuff the same treatment.

Some actually prefer non potted pickups. Maybe they are trying to please all.

I bought the LP from the "used" section of a guitar store back in '92. The engravings were on it, never found out the story behind them though. The store was in Boston, IIRC it was called "Mr. Music", i'd have 2 check to make sure.

Anyone recognize this '72 custom? lol...

i

Not all pickups are wax potted. Gibson wax pots their aftermarket stuff, but anything stock is usually left un-potted.

Actually its the other way around. The Gibson you buy has waxed pups. To buy Gibson pups

at a music store, youll find them not waxed. I got this info right from Gibson a while ago.

If thats changed (and specs change without notice) then I stand corrected.

Actually its the other way around. The Gibson you buy has waxed pups. To buy Gibson pups

at a music store' date=' youll find them not waxed. I got this info right from Gibson a while ago.

If thats changed (and specs change without notice) then I stand corrected.[/quote']

That's what I've been told too...

at a music store' date=' youll find them not waxed. I got this info right from Gibson a while ago.

If thats changed (and specs change without notice) then I stand corrected.[/quote']

This is on the website

check out point number 12

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf

It looks like Burstbucker 1-3 are non potted.

Archived