Gibson Brands Forums

Damn- got ideas?

Andre S

I'm stuck again in schoolwork. Except this time, I have to write a fictional short story related to global warming. Not a poem,

Every idea I start, turns to sh!t...

Any ideas?

I already tried writing from a polar bear's perspective....I'm stuck...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm stuck again in schoolwork. Except this time' date=' I have to write a fictional short story related to global warming. Not a poem,

Any ideas?

I already tried writing from a polar bear's perspective....I'm stuck...[/quote']

Write from your own perspective. How is/has global warming impacted your life? For example, how much is the mere "notion" of global warming costing you? And who is profiting from global warming? Follow the money.

Maybe contrast the media's 99% bias toward Global Warming with the much more objective/impartial/cautious

position they held in the 1970's with the coming of the next Ice Age. Ask why educators got Punk'd.

Maybe write that you know schoolkids of the 70's were told that it might be possible that

growing crops would be much harder and that starvation would expand beyond the poorest countries.

Maybe write that the daily fears of a nuclear holocaust during the Cold War were compounded by those

who dared to think what our world would look like if we survived - and faced a nuclear winter.

Scientists are fairly certain, and it's largely accepted, that a similar event killed off the dinosaurs.

(Yes, I'm a Christian who believes there were dinosaurs before Christ....)

A very large meteor striking the east coast of Mexico is the most likely cause of that climate change.

We've seen and studied the affects a volcano has on our atmosphere as ash circles the globe.

Do a quick web search on Mount St. Helens. I was in high school when that happened in 1980.

So you don't get your *** thrown out of class, maybe start out with something like this - the FACTS;

Do the activities of man affect the planet?

Sure, there is certainly some impact.

Think about this.

Every watt of electricity we generate is consuming energy of some sort, here are some rough numbers.

50% uses coal as a source, burning it produces heat, CO2, and some other gasses.

20% is using natural gas or fuel oil of some sort. Any refining of those fuels consumes enery and produces heat.

20% is generated with nuclear reactors, as clean as it is there is still 2/3 lost to heat and not electricity.

Less than 10% is generated with all the other "green" methods, and also generates at least as much controversy.

Consider hydro - no new damns can be built now, and environmentalists want most removed.

Windmills are generating about 7% of their capability on average - when they are functioning properly.

Solar only works during the day, and the panels require expensive and unfriendly heavy metals during manufacture.

Those metals have to be mined, refined, processed and formed - with very high costs to the planet.

The electricity they yield also diminishes over time, they lose efficiency and become less effective.

Then what do you do with them? Can't throw them in the trash because of all that metal.

Hydrogen powered cars are another pipe dream.

They work great if you already have the hydrogen but few people have access to it.

We can make hydrogen by splitting expensive super-clean water but it consumes more energy in electricity

than it yields as a fuel, so choose from one of the above to make all that electricity for you.

Moving on, once you generate a watt of electricity (or 4,000,000,000 where I work) and send it down the wire,

half of it is lost to heat and never powers anything. Those electrons that do finally do some work are finally

giving their energy up as heat when they are done. Ever feel how warm the charger gets for your cell phone?

Look at a light bulb - mostly heat.

Maybe close with some statement that we may have over-reacted a bit on this whole Global Warming thing.

Seems now a few of those prominent scientists are now experiencing some 'credibility' issues.

Fxcking schools and their indoctrinational bullsh!t nowadays.

Whatever happened to getting an education?

It's fiction. Make it up as you go.

If you're looking for a unique, non-biased perspective, try writing it from the Earth's perspective... talk about how this is the normal cycle for the planet.... constant gradual swings over the centuries from Ice ages to Desert Ages and back.

Just what popped into my head.

I'm stuck again in schoolwork. Except this time' date=' I have to write a fictional short story related to global warming. Not a poem,

Any ideas?

I already tried writing from a polar bear's perspective....I'm stuck...[/quote']

Fictional? Easy...write about the fact that Manmade Global Warming exists! That's pure fiction!

If it was hotter back in the medieval days, don't it stand to reason that Global warming/cooling isn't much affected by what man does?

It therefore MUST have gotten cooler all the years between then and now!

If Greenland was once...well, GREEN, doesn't it stand to reason that it MUST have been hotter there once?

I think it's man's arrogance to think we can much affect the climate/weather. God is in control.

At least, that's the way I see it.

First, let me introduce myself. I am a 1959 Gibson Les Paul. Like life itself, I am priceless to many. I am here to talk to you today about global warming in the near to distant future. Specifically, I would like to identify some concerns and the effects global warming will have on me.

I would like to identify some of the known causes of global warming. The one that concerns me the most is methane gas. Cows are the biggest contributors of methane gas. They are some farting son of a guns. (optional statement)

Man and his cars, hair spray (a 70's thing that was ignored in the 80's by the big hair bands...), earths axis tilting, etc. etc. - google them. Be sure and put footnotes at the bottom of the pages...

If temperatures rise....the affect it would have on me...

The effects of humidity will be....and will affect me....

The best place for me to be in the future will be...

Or you could write from a cow's perspective and resent getting most of the blame.

[biggrin]

Fictional? Easy...write about the fact that Manmade Global Warming exists! That's pure fiction!

If it was hotter back in the medieval days' date=' don't it stand to reason that Global warming/cooling isn't much affected by what man does?

It therefore MUST have gotten cooler all the years between then and now!

If Greenland was once...well, GREEN, doesn't it stand to reason that it MUST have been hotter there once?

I think it's man's arrogance to think we can much affect the climate/weather. God is in control.

At least, that's the way I see it.[/quote']

Neo's advice was great, but this...this is it!!

Yay!

[biggrin]

feel for ya' date=' kid. i can tell from the assignment that your teacher sux @$$. politics and english composition are a bad mix....[/quote']

I often wonder if anyone considers what would happen if Cap 'n Tax or the climate treaty as proposed were signed?

Because countries such as the US would be restricted from producing what we currently produce, won't those things by definition be produced by countries who AREN'T restricted?

So, if we make... lessee... cars... and suddenly there was a "Cap 'n Tax" or Kyoto Treaty making it so expensive to produce cars in the US, South Korea, Japan or Germany, won't the cars then be made in India and China? Those countries won't have the emission standards already in effect in the more advanced countries...so.... by "Cap 'n Tax" or Kyoto will INCREASE pollution in the world, no?

feel for ya' date=' kid. i can tell from the assignment that your teacher sux @$$. politics and english composition are a bad mix....[/quote']

I often wonder if anyone considers what would happen if Cap 'n Tax or the climate treaty as proposed were signed?

Because countries such as the US would be restricted from producing what we currently produce, won't those things by definition be produced by countries who AREN'T restricted?

So, if we make... lessee... cars... and suddenly there was a "Cap 'n Tax" or Kyoto Treaty making it so expensive to produce cars in the US, South Korea, Japan or Germany, won't the cars then be made in India and China? Those countries won't have the emission standards already in effect in the more advanced countries...so.... by "Cap 'n Tax" or Kyoto will INCREASE pollution in the world, no?

Any ideas?

Need pics.....?

BeweisGlobaleErwaermung1.jpg

[drool][biggrin] [biggrin]

If I may give my two cents.

This "global warming" is not man made, sure we may have contributed to it but most of it is normal. It's been happening since the earth has been in existance. It's rather arrogant to think that we caused it.The earth's axis gets fxcked around with at the rate of 1 degree every 72 years. So (play along) this changes how the suns light impacts the earth. It's only logical to think, that this would cause a change in the climate of the planet.

In the Jurassic era, it was considerably hotter than it is now. As recently as the 1700s we had a "mini-ice age". Many of us fail to see whats right in front of us, or we simply dont care enough to do a simple web search on the topic.

Think about it, all these people screaming "save the planet" at you. The way they spread the message, takes energy wich releases gasses into our atmosphere. Hypocritical? Sure but dont shun these peoples ideas, they have some merit (IMO). Like Mr. George Carlin said the planet's been here for 4 billion years, it will outlast us.

Even if we have damaged the earth, it has an incredible ability to heal itself. Look at the moon, mars, any of the rocky planets. Covered in scars from meteors, asteroids comets etc. Our atmosphere has protected us from many of these but we have been hit countless times, yet there are few marks at all. I believe I saw this on the history channel so bear with me. In what is now Arizona, an asteroid collided with earth. This one was massive, absolutley fxcking huge, yet, no visual signs. They found shocked quartz in a large area, a sign of a massive release of energygenerally attributed to an asteroid collision (as not many forces on earth generate so much power). The natural forces wind erosion and the like cover these up. It will do the same with the so called man-made global warming in what is barely mentionable in its overall "lifespan".

So many people say antarctica will melt and it'll flood our asses, but what so many people dont understand is that, most of antarctica (and greenland for that matter) are rocky huge masses of ice cannot be continents. Much of said ice will probably remain frozen but the bits at the edges will melt into the ocean but not nearly as much as so many people think. When the tempurate reaches enough to melt all of antarctica, we wont have to worry about it, because the sun will be either growing into a red giant or going into a supernova and melting our pitiful asses.

did you make it this far?

Well if it's fiction you want then certainly talk about how greenhouse gases are doing it here on Earth. If you want fact then look at what's going on with other planets. Just do a simple google search. Here's one for example. Every planet is experiencing global warming. Jupiter is getting new spots (storms) because of it.

All the global warming "experts" today don't use correct facts to back up their claims. Their first "fact" is always "global warming is caused by us humans" and then move on from there. Well if that first assumption (which is more accurate than fact) is incorrect then their conclusions are incorrect too.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't conserve. I'm all for that. What I'm saying is let's gather all the correct facts, let the best minds work on it and then postulate a solution. For example, let's say that the Sun is really doing it and that no matter how much we conserve, or stop emitting gases, global warming still occurs. Shouldn't we research on what to do in that event; like trying to grow things in desert climates? Maybe that's something that you can write about. Start with global warming caused the Earth to turn into a desert and propose some solutions for it.

Any ideas?

I would use Al Gores version as a jump off point .[drool]

Archived