Gibson Brands Forums

If you were me...

edoardo3434

I love how afraid people are of the Robot technology.

Sorry' date=' I'm a stone tablet and chisel kinda guy.

[biggrin

I get tickled when I see people trying to use technology to 'solve' problems that aren't really a problem.

A good tuner is all you need, and you can live without that if you have more patience than me...

And the wizardry of soiled state/modeling amps - what are they modeling?

Toobz.

I already gots toobz.

:-k

This is one area where the technology had matured sufficiently by the time I was born - in 1965.

Not many advancements in rock guitar since then that I can't live without....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
go for the standard.

first run of things always have bugs.

I'm pretty sure that even the second and third runs aren't much better. Especially considering that if there is a major problem' date=' there isn't much you can do about it, because A,) If you by a Robot (any incarnation) used, it's not covered under warranty, and B.) if the thing needs major work done i.e the electronics fail, iy would have to be sent to Gibson, and then they have to send it back to China (where the electronics are made), because they don't do repairs on these inhouse. Then the buyer gets stuck fitting the bill, which in most cases, ends up being higher than the cost of the guitar when it's new.

So, I'm voting for the Standard, you won't regret it![biggrin

Sorry' date=' I'm a stone tablet and chisel kinda guy.

[biggrin

I get tickled when I see people trying to use technology to 'solve' problems that aren't really a problem.

A good tuner is all you need, and you can live without that if you have more patience than me...

And the wizardry of soiled state/modeling amps - what are they modeling?

Toobz.

I already gots toobz.

[-(

This is one area where the technology had matured sufficiently by the time I was born - in 1965.

Not many advancements in rock guitar since then that I can't live without....

I here you Neo. I'm only 27 and I can't stand most of the "advancements" they've made since I was born! I'm all for technological advancement, but only in slow moderation. Hell look how long it took for the LP "evolve".

Well, you can always find another standard, maybe with a nicer top, but there are only so many GOR'S. The first run is actually the good ones - bound neck and headstock, ebony fretboard, maple capped top and cool *** color. Don't let the nay sayers scare you about problems. If the robot craps out, play it like any other LP.

The problem the robot solved is quick tuning changes. If you just sit on your sofa and play, you might not need it. If you play in a band that plays the same sh*t every song, you may not appreciate it. If you like to play a variety of stuff, fast, then give it a shot.

My M&P Gibby dealer was blowing out Robots after Xmas for barely $300 more than what I paid for for my new LP Studio' date=' about $1300. "nobody wants them," my luthier/salesguy muttered. [/quote']

Those are not the same as the Original robots.

Hello mates!!

I got the root beer!! I'm gonna post some pics soon!!

anyway, since it is not new, I noticed that the guitar has some little scratches on the top and on one side. does anyone of you know how to reduce them? I wouldn't "harm" the beautiful premium finish!! ;-)

The problem most people don't realize with new-fangled technology is how the sales always go.

Many companies who should know this seem to forget while trying to feed a market they think will never fade.

The Robot (or any other) buzz starts with Gibson press releases.

Then teasers on the website.

Then maybe a NAMM show in there too, so guitar magazines can write about it.

The demand begins to build, and Gibson (or whoever) monitors every aspect of it possible.

They will determine at some point what they want their production numbers to be, and what

resources they will need to commit to the production effort.

The Robot has a definite number of buyers.

The technology will only appeal to so many players, regardless of price.

There are fence-sitters who will buy one (or not) depending on the price, but a number of other factors as well.

Regardless, when the guitar hits the stores, the brisk sales and testimonies of the product will

only last awhile, until everybody who was waiting for one gets theirs.

The sales will then taper off, so the price will come down.

A few more sales will be made as a result, but the drop will continue.

Gibson's hope is to satisfy the market in good time, without getting stuck with a bunch of warehouse dogs.

Part of the reason is guys like me, Gibson's traditional buyers who have been buying the same

Les Paul and SG for 50 years, and we've seen all the new stuff come and go.

We also will walk past a $1200 Robot and pay cash for a $6000 LP reissue - year after year.

That's where we are now, and the Robots and that other stuff are NOT moving.

My dealer has over 70 Les Pauls hanging in his store right now.

This isn't counting Specials, Juniors, Epiphones, or anything else.

70 Real Deal carved top Les Pauls

He refused to carry the Robot because he knew that the techies would also be wanting all kinds of

digital modeling stuff, and other "advanced" items to go with it - and it's not his market.

In 34 years of business, he's gotten stuck with more dead merchandise than he cares to remember.

The Robot wave missed him, and he's still doing just fine.

Funny how the "NEW" and "CUTTING EDGE" stuff can look so old, obsolete and unwanted so quickly.

Anybody want to buy my 8 year old home computer?

Hello mates!!

I got the root beer!! I'm gonna post some pics soon!!

anyway' date=' since it is not new, I noticed that the guitar has some little scratches on the top and on one side. does anyone of you know how to reduce them? I wouldn't "harm" the beautiful premium finish!! ;-)[/quote']Don't worry about scratches, dings, cracks in the finish. They come with the territory, and are most of the time unavoidable. Just consider every one a battle scare, and use/enjoy it for what it is, an instrument that's meant to be played...and played HARD!

Oh, congrats btw, and can't wait to see the pics![cool]

Hi there!

thanks a lot for congrats and suggestions for the finish.

rocket... the discussion confirmed my first choice... I would have taken the robot only for a collection purpose...

I'm gonna Play!!!!!!

ed

I don't think the Robot LP will be considered "collectible"' date=' because in order for something to be "collectible", it would have to have been in demand/popular, and Robot LPs (any incarnation) are not, and probably never will be popular. Maybe 30 years down the line a few (a VERY few) people who actually bought into the hype might end up looking for one for nastalgic purposes, but that's about it.

Congrats on a beautiful LP, and being smart enough to ask the "profesionals" before taking the plunge, so to speak!B) [cool

I'm still tring to sell my mint 1972 Chevy Vega with Rally Stripes' date=' and 1976 AMC Pacer in Powder Blue.

[/quote']Best of luck with that Neo!

And I mean that in THE most sarcastic way![biggrin]

Maybe if you add an "Auto-tune up" feature, and some software that lets them mimic other cars, you'll actually find a buyer...or 2.[biggrin]

Archived