Gibson Brands Forums

Split My Signal

Boston004681

Honestly, no. I spent quite some time and resources trying to find a good Stereo Splitter with no Hum and as little signal loss as possible, and Cheap just doesn't get it done. MXR has the quietest Stereo pedals I came across. I use the MXR M-134 Chorus, but the Kerry King EQ is a good one, too.

That's not to say I looked at every alternative out there, but if you'll be Giging you should just Pony Up The Dough (IMO), you'll be glad in a year and your stereo pedal still works the way it did when you bought it.

Why do you want to go stereo?

What do you want to be stereo?

Delay? Chorus?

Those are the main things you can run in stereo and it's as simple as gettin' a modern delay/chorus pedal and conecting the outputs to different amps, you can play with both amps EQ to have a different signal on each (with a different/complimenting part of the stereo fx) or you can have both to the same settings.

Other modulation/filter/space fx?

Same as above.

EQ or completely different chains?

Just a Y cable from 1 monophonic plug to 2 monophonic plugs and plug each to a different amp with different EQ or a different fx chain.

I cannot think of anything else you would like to have in stereo.

By the way, having the guitar just sounding in 2 sides of the stage does not constitute a stereo setup, for that you have to have left and right components of the signal, if not, you are just taking a mono signal and routing it through multiple amps.

Once you've played a Blues Tune like Texas Flood or Stormy Monday with one Overdriven Amp and One Clean Amp, you'll want Two Parallel Amps forever. Stereo Pedals are the easiest and (I Think) best sounding way to go.

The Kerry King eq isn't really Stereo, just lets you "Punish Two Amps" at once.

I use a multi-pedal that has a left and right out which I run into different amps.....this allows me to take advantage of the pong delay effect or the roto-speaker effect. Like TG said though all you need is a y-cord to split the signal.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you want to go stereo?

What do you want to be stereo?

Delay? Chorus?

Those are the main things you can run in stereo and it's as simple as gettin' a modern delay/chorus pedal and conecting the outputs to different amps' date=' you can play with both amps EQ to have a different signal on each (with a different/complimenting part of the stereo fx) or you can have both to the same settings.

Other modulation/filter/space fx?

Same as above.

EQ or completely different chains?

Just a Y cable from 1 monophonic plug to 2 monophonic plugs and plug each to a different amp with different EQ or a different fx chain.

I cannot think of anything else you would like to have in stereo.

By the way, having the guitar just sounding in 2 sides of the stage does not constitute a stereo setup, for that you have to have left and right components of the signal, if not, you are just taking a mono signal and routing it through multiple amps.[/quote']

Yes, the second amp will be for modulation touches.

Yes' date=' the second amp will be for modulation touches.

[/quote']

Well if that's the case a splitter cable won't be of any use at all to you.

If you want stereo for what you're describing,ping-pong delay effects/ rotary tremolo you're gonna need a stereo pedal(whatever you may be using) or an A/B/Y splitter box. I'm sure I've seen 'em around for cheap.

On second thoughts...why not just mic. up both amps or even the one amp with 2 mics and pan them L - R to get the stereo imaging your after? Of course this will mainly rest with your FOH operator but you can also get a decent mix through your foldback that you'll be able to hear on stage.[blink]

Not sure about actual "Stereo" but spittling the signal is a different thing, if the source is not Stereo the rest of the signal isn't either. Having said that.

The Morley ABY switch pedal lets you run A or B or A and B together. The Morley George Lynch splits the signal 3 ways which is nice, I think Surfpup uses one.

Coincidentally I just scored a Morley ABY on craigslist couple of days ago for a mere $25 brand spanking new. I still have not tried it since I have been busy.

Honestly it does not matter 20 foot in front of ya. What I do is in clubs I will run 2 different (but same amps' date=' Tech21's) or for outside shows I do the 5150 with 2 cabs; one on each side of the stage.

[/quote']

Well we all coulda told him that to begin with!:-

But hey,let the boy have his fun.

Mind you,if he's the sole guitarist - running in stereo will give the impression of a wider image...

Archived