Gibson Brands Forums

New SG-3 owner. Muddy tone from guitar

c5j6w4

Hi all,

I have just purchased a new SG-3 in ebony with gold hardware.

I am a little disappointed with the tone of the guitar so far, as the sound seems very muddy, even boomy on the low strings.

I just can't seem to get a nice clean ringing tone from it compared to other guitars I have.

Also I find the tone difference between the three pick-ups minimal and the tone knob make minimal difference too.

The guitar is fitted with two 57 Classics middle and neck and a 57 Classic plus at the bridge.

I have played it through a Line 6 POD, Digitech RP350 and a Boss Multitrack and nothing seems to brighten it up.

Has anybody else experienced the same with this guitar, or has anybody changed pick-ups.

I am new to the SG so cannot compare it to any other.

I appreciate any replies.

Thanks

First off Congrats on the new SG-3!

I'd start with the simplest stuff first. Try a new set of strings, if you got your guitar from a shop there's no telling who's dirty little paws have been on your guitar. Next check the height of the pickups. The bass sides of the pick ups may be to close to the strings. That may account for the boomyness. Last off think about getting an equalizer pedal.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

im interested in how this went. Ive been thinking about getting one of these. It seems that it shouldn't be to much different than other sg's becuase it has the same pickups. (all the ones that have 57's that is)

Another important factor that people often forget is your amp EQ. You can change a lot of tone by messing with your settings, and not every guitar needs to be eq-ed the same way. So give it a try if you havn't already tried.

If not, you can always looks into new pickups. There are plenty of choices out there that could help you.

If your pickups are the right height and your tone is still muddy and without much variation between the pickups, talk to your dealer. If heshe says something to the effect of "you just gotta play with it to get the right tone", see if there's another one you can try to compare, and if so, brings yours in and play them side by side. Those are good pickups and if they're the right height you should be getting a nice bright tone with your stock setup. Maybe there's a hardware or wiring issue with yours.

I agree with Beatnik. I"ll bet dollars to donuts it's a setup issue. Pick ups that are low will sound muddy. I always adjust the height to get the tone I'm looking for. Just don't raise 'em to close to the strings. That said, having a pro set up a new guitar is always a good idea. Give Gibson support a call. They'll point you towards a service center that is Gibson certified and won't mess up your warranty. 1-800-444-2766

Archived