Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrades on an SG

Hthomas

1. SCHALLER STRAPLOCKS - Mandatory, and Schaller is the best. 2. PICKUPS - If you put pickup covers on the existing pickups, some people believe they should be "wax potted" to reduce microphonic squeal. Also, the pickup covers HAVE to be solder-grounded to the pickup base, not just snapped on. The existing faded pickups are kinda "hot", as are the Burstbuckers. If you want a cleaner sound with better tone, I'd suggest the Gibson '57 Classics. You can always use your amp or pedal to distort. Too much distortion, and you'll sacrifice tone!! Some people think the Gibson neck pickups sound muddy - thus the reason some players go to a Duncan for the neck pu. ONE THING - The Gibson '57 Classic BRIDGE pickup is hands down, the BEST CHOICE!! If you like hard rock, the original faded SG pickups are fine, and actually quite versatile. TUNERS - Back in the day, putting Grover tuners on a vintage SG was a common thing, and really didn't detract much from the value. Still, you'd be wise to wait, and make sure you're going to keep it, because prospective buyers sometimes balk if it was modified. There are some people who feel that cast, sealed tuners interfere with the neck/body vibration, thus affecting sustain. Vintage Telecaster afficionados wouldn't dream of replacing the tuners with heavy cast ones. Upside- they're smoother and hold tune maybe a little better, but you'll get better tuning results by putting a little graphite lube on the nut and saddles. Downside - Some SG's are neck-heavy, and heavier tuners will only make it more so.

The electronics are fine, but I prefer the sound with covers installed on the pickups.

I replaced the pickguard screws with black ones, the stock knobs with black speed knobs, and added a Bigsby B-5 with a Vibramate "short-leg" plate.

SG-6.jpg?t=1263401913

I love it, to the extent that I am selling my #1 electric since 1997, my 1970 Les Paul Deluxe.

Smooth the ends of the frets and oil the fretboard to begin with, that's a must with the fadeds. Haven't done anything to mine yet. Thinkin' knobs and SG truss rod cover, to kind of make it look more like a regular SG special. I plan on keepin' mine for the long haul because it sounds and plays awesome. Therefore, I plan on modding mine quite a bit, possibly having her sprayed in cherry nitro when I can afford it. It's yours, do what looks and sounds good to you.

Archived