Gibson Brands Forums

13 Gauge Strings for an SG

newoldschool

back in the old days guitars came with heavier strings. This is why the compensated solid bridges of that era are made for a wound G string. It wasn't until more recently that people started using "light" strings, which are much easier to bend though have less sustain and don't quite sound as good, imho.

I also have no problems keeping my SG in tune. Proper post wrapping and lubricating the nut and bridge saddle will do wonders for intonation problems. keeping strings clean and fresh is also paramount. As strings oxidize they get thicker which makes the string less uniform, so it won't be in tune with itself anymore.

Back before I started having problems with my weak little hands, I had a '63 SG/LP Junior that I strung exclusively with 13's, and when you play a guitar with such heavy strings it makes you play different due to to the lack of bend-a-bility (found myself ripping out a LOT of Scotty Moore and James Burton-esque licks), but most guitars can essentially handle however light or heavy a gauge you wanna' use...provided you adjust your truss rod accordingly. Nowadays I'm using the Regular or Skinny-Top/Heavy-Bottom Slinkys, except on my Gretsch "Malcolm Young" (it has either 12's or 13's on it)...but everyone knows that you CANNOT get Malc's sound without heavy strings, a heavy right-hand and a lot of volume. [scared]

H-Bomb

Welp, if yer gonna stay with 13s, you should have your nut slots and saddles set for the larger strings to avoid pinch points and tuning problems, as well as a setup with the 13s installed to get the action where you want it with the proper relief. If it was me, I'd take it to my luthier/shop for the whole setup with 13s. Unless you're happy with it's current setup.

Thanks BigKahune! The tint on the neck binding seems to extend onto the edges of the stock nut so I am debating whether or not to have it set up permanently with 13s (with a wound G), or leaving the guitar stock and using a regular (or possibly lighter wound G) having the truss rod adjusted only.

Having taken that into consideration, what would you say is the best option... Filing or replacing the nut? Also, does the bridge saddle need to be filed (or just moved) to compensate for the wound G, or can a replacement be installed?

Does any of this have an affect guitar value?

Hmmm... tinting. Welp, you can always ease into it and save the nut replacement as the last option. You said you've already got 13s on it. So if your action and relief look okay, and you're not having any tuning issues, keep goin' with your current setup. You can always use nut lube if you've got pinch points. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce on my nuts and saddles (no pun) for pinch points and trem setups. Just keep an eye on your relief, and pinch points. If things are binding then go with the file job. If the action is not right then maybe a setup and tell your shop/luthier to try and keep the nut.

I'm torn between the two worlds.

Right now using 13s (unwound G) but the action is too high. As much as I'd like to try a permanent setup for 13s with a wound G... I'm thinking maybe its best to stick with the original setup to save on having it reversed back if it doesn't work out... Also to preserve the original nut. Can you go back to 10s once the nut and bridge slots have been enlarged, without having to switch everything back?

Any idea which gauge strings on a 2007 VOS SG factory setup?

Can you go back to 10s once the nut and bridge slots have been enlarged... ?

Should be no problem.

And if it is' date=' a new nut will cost you maybe $50 with a competent luthier.

Resale should not be affected, if it's done right nobody can tell.

That's too large a difference in string sizes to just swap back and forth.

You need to commit one way or the other.

Take it to a couple good luthiers and get an objective opinion from them - just thinking about it....

See which one you like best, take back to him and [i']Just Do It.[/i]

Then you can come to the forum and tell us all about it.

If you don't like it, you're only out another $40....

Archived