Gibson Brands Forums

What is this

Bca143

Click on the link. Is this really a B-25n 12 string, or is it an LG 12? I have almost the same guitar, but have always known it to be an LG 12. Mine doesn't have the LG-12 on the truss cover, and looks exactly like this one from the front. The back and sides on mine are dark/ almost black though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350301963686&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Click on the link. Is this really a B-25n 12 string' date=' or is it an LG 12? I have almost the same guitar, but have always known it to be an LG 12. Mine doesn't have the LG-12 on the truss cover, and looks exactly like this one from the front. The back and sides on mine are dark/ almost black though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350301963686&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123[/quote']

Look at my recent post! (How about this 12 string)

It's definitely not a '67 as advertised. In 1970 they went to a pin bridge and a 12 fret neck joint. The only way I would dare try and tell the difference between an LG-12 and a B25 is the back binding (or lack). I can't really see in the photos.

KSdad wasn't the B-25 12 usually setup like the B-45 12 with 14 frets to the body?

I do see a difference from an LG-12, the bridge on the one in the ad doesn't appear to be adjustable.. Replaced? Maybe that's why "it looks so good with no signs of pulling"?

Looks like my old LG-12 may have found another "cousin"!

Got it. Thanks Ksdaddy. I guess that would make sense. So that makes my guitar (no back binding, belly down pin bridge with adj. saddle, 12 frets) a 1970 or later LG-12. My serial # says '68, but I guess features trump serial numbers when it comes to dating Gibsons, right?

The late 60s and early 70s serial numbers can be very misleading. Some groups of numbers were used in different years; there are some that were used in 1966 and 1969 for example, and most of the time you need to look at other attributes to determine which is right.

If you'd like to post some photos I'm sure we can sort it out.

Yeah. It must have, but I have no idea when. I just picked it up a couple of months ago. Deck is not quite as flat as it looks in the pics, that's why its at the luthier now. Wasn't too bad, but I figured I'd get it worked out.

I did a little reading in the Fabulous book and I see no mention of the B25-12 going to a 12 fret neck at any time. I knew the B45-12 did in 1970 and assumed the B25 followed suit. The B25-12 petered out and only a few were shipped in the 70s. So I guessed wrong on that one. Bottom line there, if it's a 12 fret, it's an LG-12.

Yours is definitely an LG-12. I get a tiny bit of conflicting info on the introduction year; one says 1969, another 1970. Ditto for the ending year; one says it was dropped in 1973, another says the last two were the only ones shipped in 1973.

I didn't find any info as to any changes in the model within it's run, so that's no help. You never did post the serial number, what is it?

The 800000 series was also used from '73 to '75 in addition to the late 60s. It's possible yours is a '73. Does yours have a volute on the back of the neck and "Made in USA" under the serial number? If so, it's likely a '73. If not, it's possible it's a '69 or early '70 and one of the early LG-12s.

• 3 months later...
I did a little reading in the Fabulous book and I see no mention of the B25-12 going to a 12 fret neck at any time. I knew the B45-12 did in 1970 and assumed the B25 followed suit. The B25-12 petered out and only a few were shipped in the 70s. So I guessed wrong on that one. Bottom line there' date=' if it's a 12 fret, it's an LG-12.

Yours is definitely an LG-12. I get a tiny bit of conflicting info on the introduction year; one says 1969, another 1970. Ditto for the ending year; one says it was dropped in 1973, another says the last two were the only ones shipped in 1973.

I didn't find any info as to any changes in the model within it's run, so that's no help. You never did post the serial number, what is it?[/quote']

If it is a 12 fret, it obviously can be a B25. Or is there something I am totally missing? See this B25-D12:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-1970s-GIBSON-B-25D-12-Acoustic-ExC-OCBC-NR_W0QQitemZ320494169610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a9ef0ee0a

By the way, the same (looks IDENTICAL to me) guitar seems now to be for sale in Belgium. http://muziek.2dekans.be/vintage-1970s-gibson-b-25-d12-acoustic-guitar

Notice the new price....

Greets, Ape

Archived