Gibson Brands Forums

Installing SD humbuckers on a 2008 Faded SG Special with PCB

lamusiqa

Hi guys. I just recently ordered a Seymour Duncan hot-rodded(JB & Jazz) combo pups for my SG Special. Much to my surprise, my SG has the new Gibson circuit board in it. Now, I like the idea of conveniently replacing my pickups without much soldering and I would like to perform the installation myself. However, I just gotta ask before I continue:

1) What's the silver wire-to-bright green connector is for?

2) Since the connector has 2-pin(left, right, as indicated by the clip on top), which pickup wires get plugged where? There are like, 5 wires(red, white, green, bare & black) wires on the SD pickups.

3) What's the best way of connecting the wires to the Molex MicroFit 3.0 connector?

I would really appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

Hmmmmm.........are the connectors that Gibson is using available anywhere ? Might have to cut the plugs off the old pickups and tie in

off those wires. I have the PCB in one of my SG's but have not really looked at it that close.

From what I understand, the connectors are standard Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 2-pin male-female connectors. The connector on the pickups should be the female one. It's the same type of connectors found on PC parts like a Power Supply. I have found my connectors but I just wanna know which wires should go to which hole since there are 2 pins. The one I'm seeing right now has the Gibson pickups with green wire hooked on the right hole and a thicker, black wire on the left hole.

I guess the convenience of plug-play pickups only come into sense when it's already fitted with the proper connector head. :-

Thanks for the color codes, GIANTRobOT420. Although, I find that the Gibson PUs that are connected to the PCB only has green and a thicker, black wire. Any precaution I should be aware of? I dont even know where to connect the bare wire to ground it.

Sorry, total noob here.

Archived