Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Love

deepblue

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had pre-CBS, CBS, post-CBS, and seen good and bad in all. I've had maybe 4 or 5 Teles but probably a dozen Strats or more, from a '64 to a '99. I think one of the most underrated periods in Fender's history is the very early 80s. I've got an '83 P-Bass and an '83 Strat, one of the last ones made before they went to the two knob/Freeflyte models. They are both mongrels right from the factory, with parts ranging from 1979 to 1983. I swear, they were cleaning out old parts bins... maybe under a directive from above to use up old stock, who knows? But the quality on both of those instruments is above and beyond anything I've seen from Leo's reign to the current crop. I lucked out with my Smith Strat, bought from the original owner for under $800.

And my Tele of course. Graduation present in '78.

I do have a weakness for the old 60s acoustics too, which is kinda like someone introducing themselves at an AA meeting.

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/pal.html

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/shenandoah.html

• 3 months later...

While I don't have any interest in a Fender bass (go figure), there is a thinline Tele in my future someday. I'm pretty happy with Gibson and Epi bass guitars. They sound great through an Acoustic amp. I already have the obligatory semi-hollow guitar, an Ibanez, which sounds great through a Mesa clone. Doing things the normal way won't ever happen.

A single coil guitar is a fine thing. In my case, a partscaster rather than a Fender because while Teles look, feel and play great, I need mine to work for jazz, and there is nothing quite right off the hook.

The "Charliecaster" has been the most successful. The Charlie Christian pickup (www.vintagevibeguitars.com) gives a clear, warm tone but without the "hair" of a P90. With the bridge pickup, this guitar covers a lot of ground.

blond_thinline_reduced.jpg

Body is from Warmoth and short-scale neck (24 3/4") from USA Custom Guitars. Custom Inlay in Kentucky did the fret markers and Frank Grubisa here in Sydney finished the body, including the multi-ply binding, and put it together.

Does it sound like a big ol' archtop? Well, kinda close but no cigar. The body is just not right. The top is too thick and small to oscillate much and the back is a routed slab.

RN

3374990608_26d68856b6.jpg

1993 American Standard - bone stock, no mods.

3375030734_bf915d0747.jpg

2005 Ash American Tele - bone stock, except for the installation of a black pickguard recently.

3375030724_0571f591bf.jpg

3375030728_6236db770b.jpg

Partsocaster I built in 2007.

American Ash body from Ebay, new Highway 1 neck, Dove P-90s - all Fender.

Gibson pots/switch, Fender Schaller locking tuners, American trem, custom pickguard.

3375030716_7916545698.jpg

3375030718_c46b20b437.jpg

Another Partsocaster I built in 2007.

American Alder body from Ebay, new Highway 1 neck, Wide Range humbuckers from Tele Deluxe - all Fender.

Gibson pots/switch, Fender Schaller locking tuners, American trem, custom pickguard.

I missed this thread, too.

I don't have any Fenders any more. I've had quite a lot but sold off all of them.

Here's a snap from about 1983 when I had a few around (The pale blue one is a friends Tokai).

1964 Lake Placid Blue Strat. (L 16783 - I remember) This is the only guitar I (slightly) regret selling. Had it 24 years. Truly wonderful guitar and the best Strat I ever owned by a long chalk.

1982(?) '57 re-issue two-tone s/b Strat. Lovely 'thin' sounding guitar. Didn't get on with maple necks, though.

1975 three-tone s/b Strat. Horrible thing. Ditto maple neck (although I tried real hard to like them!). P/ex'd it not long after this snap was taken for a three-tone s/b '59-style bound-body Tele Custom. At the time I didn't understand the 'Tele' thing, though. Too naive.

1967 black 'Swinger'. As has been written in many books; this is Fender's 'mystery' guitar. Although certain sources say "...the 'Swinger' was created in 1969..." I have a photo of the neck-end stamp on this one which shows '9 Jan 67 A'. It may be that the neck dates from this time and the instrument was assembled later. It was a short-scale guitar with one hopeless p-up and a tele-style 3-saddle bridge. Sounded crap, difficult to play because of the scale-length but interesting from a collector's point of view. Even John Entwhistle added one to his collection!

Last time I went into a shop to buy a Strat (a couple of months ago) I walked out with a Les Paul so I guess I'm not really a Fender guy any more.

I still quite fancy one, however...

Guitarsonbedlo-res-1.jpg

97? Fender Lonestar Strat, Candy Apple Red, Fender Roller Nut, Fender Locking Tuners, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker

This is one of my favorite guitars next to my Gibson ES-347, plays great and never goes out of tune with the roller nut and locking tuners. just a great guitar.

lonestar_strat.jpg

Archived