Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think it costs too much?

intenseiam

Sounds like the company has watched these type of axes go up in price after selling them, and thought they would keep the first jump in price fo themselves. Or, maybe they'll even go up higher because people will assume they are worth so much because they originally cost so much (self-fulfilling prophecy)

To me it is not worth the extra money to have that signature. I'd rather use the money, if I had it, to buy several other guitars, amps, studio time, other instruments etc. But for some people it will be worth it. Some people who have a lot of money will just buy it, then store it and sell it in the future for a profit. I have a fantastic Les Paul that cost a fraction of the price, and I'm happy owning that one!

If you ask me, these Page guitars are the only LPs made in the past 5 years that will appreciate in value.

intenseiam, the "cheapest" one is around $8,000 US. It's the price of a regular R9 (around $6,000) plus around $2,000 for the Jimmy Page association and extra work needed to make these reissues like his real guitar. Then, you add a few thousand dollars for the Murphy aged one, which brings us up to $11,000 for that one. The, you double that to have the pleasure of saying Jimmy Page played and autographed your guitar. That's how it works.

They are collectors' pieces. You probably wouldn't want to play them--at least not gig with them. And there is nothing wrong with that. To each his or her own. It helps keep Gibson in business. I would love to have one. But it's not the kind of investment I would be willing to make.

If I collected guitars, I'd stick my 20 grand in vintage.

If I were looking to make money, I'd buy stock.

And since I think guitars were made to be played, I only buy guitars I can take out of the case without getting paranoid about adversely affecting the resale value.

The sad thing about this model is that it's probably excellent, but no one will ever use one to make music.

When I ordered my EDS-1275 double neck (Yes, I'm a HUGE Page fan) in 2006, I could have

gotten the Page signature version. I was buying from the Custom Shop either way, so WTF?

I looked long and hard at the Page to figure out why I would pay 3 times as much for one.

Mine came brand new, absolutely pristine - even in tune after shipment.

Think about that for a minute.

18 strings, all dead on...

One piece body.

Sounds heavenly.

Plays like a dream.

Never going down in value.

Even took it to a gig once.

The Jimmy Page has the "relic" treatment, 3 piece body, missing pickup covers, the bridges are

set too far back for some string sets to work, generally looks like an OLD GUITAR.

I wouldn't even buy an old guitar that looked like that...

For 1/3 the money, I have absolutely no regrets.

Same for the Page Les Pauls.

Are they worth the money?

I've played half a dozen of them, they are really cool.

The answer is no.

The reissues and even many of the Customs are close enough for me.

There are already enough Page freaks and speculator/collectors out there to keep Gibson going.

I'm afraid these guitars are nothing but "showcase" models, not REALLY worth much more than the others, but hyped at 500 decibels to cause "flocking response" among the buyers that can afford them.

What a lot of people will lose sight of is the fact that these guitars are COPIES of Mr.Pages origional..........

Ok, how many other musicians are signing COPIES of their signature series? Lots of them are!

I'm sure the value won't go down on them, but i'm not sure if the value will increase quickly enough to even be a wise investment.

Unless it's a true " limited edition" of perhaps 10 made, I couldn't see putting that kind of $ into a guitar i'd be afraid to play, for fear of ruining my investment.

$11' date='000 for his autograph eh :-k, i dont even rate him...too much of a power chord and pentatonic merchant [-( [/quote']

Wow, that hard on Page... [biggrin]

With all my respect, I think Jimmy Page is a genius and one the the greatest rock n roll musician for what he did with Led Zeppelin.

Wow' date=' that hard on Page... #-o

With all my respect, I think Jimmy Page is a genius and one the the greatest rock n roll musician for what he did with Led Zeppelin.

[/quote']

hahaha the latter part of my statement was a bit tounge in cheek...page is cool [crying]

They only made a few of them and they're basically guaranteed to increase in value. If I had a bunch of money I would buy one, not only because I am a Page fan, but also because some of these guitars are pieces of art. Yes, it is a tool. But not only is it an "aesthetic" tool, but it was knowingly designed with the intention to be aesthetically pleasing. The "Custom Shop" is really Gibson's Custom ART Historic division. There are other vintage guitars that I would probably rather buy, but as a cool collector's axe, fun toy, or good investment, I like the Page #2.

I'm on the ''Overpriced'' camp in this one. And I bet that Gibson will keep increasing the prices on their collectable items, just until they find out how much anyone would be willing to pay for one.

And I will have to say again: In a capitalistic world, the only vote we actually have is our money. I vote ''no''.[smile]

I thing Gibson is mining the gold. A local dealer just sold an all-gold 50th Anniversary LP (gawdawful: a gold-plated, engraved, metal headstock, gold top, back, sides and neck, gold hardware, with an ultra-cool tweed case with buttery yellow plush interior) for four large, and I saw several others on eBay for similar prices; I was happy to see it go for that price, because it allowed him to buy my '70 Deluxe gold top from me for a good price.

As long as people spend money, why not get them to give it to Gibson (and its dealers)?

I was talking to an acquaintance who loves LPs: he told me a tale about tracing a Jimmy Page model that was offered for sale here, to Houston, where he started combing the music stores to find where it had ultimately landed. He traded FIVE of his own Les Pauls for it!

That's how people feel about them, and, if we don't, well, everyone is different.

As I mentioned, I no longer own a Les Paul, my 335 and Bigsby-equipped SG sufficing for my needs. But others have got to have, not just "a" Les Paul, but "the" LP, and a lot of them think the JP is it.

I try to keep my herd in the single digits. But even I have been sorely tempted by instruments that pop up for sale from time to time (latest is the '82 Walnut Precision -- the actual bass pictured in the Fender catalog that year -- for a price I could pretend to afford; it took me all weekend to talk myself out of that one).

Go for it, Gibson, make money so we don't, in the future, have to buy "Gibsons" that are Made in China.

Archived