Gibson Brands Forums

A further observation on strings

albertjohn

Before I 'm accused of tripping over the dead horse to grab the flogging stick...................

Went to see my mate and general guitar genius Robbie last night to look at the action on my SWD. I had a gig on Saturday and had noticed some general fret buzzing in areas.

I'm very much in the camp that older strings sound better (on my SWD at least) so I hadn't changed the strings for a couple of months (Martin Acoustic SP 12s).

Having loosened the strings to lightly dress the frets, Robbie had me feel the under side of the strings which, on the wound strings, had slight indentations where they are pressed against the frets. As a result, if one where to fret in a normal way, there was a risk that the string is not fretted properly and thus might cause the odd buzz.

I'd not considered this before.

Conclusion = whilst the strings might sound great, they need changing.

I took a class once where we were taught the manly art of bending. I was getting the same indentations on the understide fo the strings as well as a 'blip' or bump on the upper side of the strings opposite the indentations on the wound strings. The winding had been worn clean through and the frets were cutting into the core. The windings, now cut were allowed to relax and unwind a bit that created the blip.

Take heart in the fact that strings are cheaper to replace than frets.

If you like 'aged' strings you could get another guit tar so you can restring it and put it into an 'aging' mode of practice only and rotate it into the 'performance' mode when your performer gets a new set of wires.

If you like 'aged' strings you could get another guit tar so you can restring it and put it into an 'aging' mode of practice only and rotate it into the 'performance' mode when your performer gets a new set of wires.

Good idea but I wouldn't have the patience. I'm going to have to teach one of the children to change strings.

Archived