Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

heymisterk

Hi All,

Thought some of you might be interested in this...

When I first began shopping for a Les Paul (ultimately fell in love with a SG Classic...), I started shopping and tracking on eBay. I was drawn to the LP Stan. Faded because of the (usually) lighter weight AND...it seemed like it was a bit cheaper than the regular Standard. During Thanksgiving of '08, I was set to buy one listed on ebay in excellent shape for around the $1,200 mark! In the last year, the prices crept upward...steadily. One I see listed on eBay right now has a bid in at $1,650(!), which seems common now.

Just an interesting observation. Thoughts?

My thoughts are eBay is world wide and Gibsons are much more expensive in certain other countries. Just because one SF has a bid of $1,650, doesn't mean they're going up in value. For all we know, the bidder may live in Australia.

Look up Australian prices on new Gibson guitars. [lol]

My thoughts are eBay is world wide and Gibsons are much more expensive in certain other countries. Just because one SF has a bid of $1' date='650, doesn't mean they're going up in value. For all we know, the bidder may live in Australia. [/quote']

I don't completely agree with your statement.

I do agree that prices are different in other countries, but if you were selling a nice Gibson would you sell

to someone in South America? Or to 90% of the other countries outside of the U.S. ?

Only if your "CRAZY LIKE A FOX"-!! [biggrin]

Actually the last two highest I saw sell were US bidders only. One went on ebay a week or two ago for 1899!

And one sold recently with the setup from CV Guitars, (which I've done on my own axe except for flipping the pickups),

and I can't believe it sold for over $2000! Both had the 60's necks!

I'm sitting on my 05 Tobacco w/60's Neck for now. But if they keep creeping up I just might have to pull that trigger..

also keep in mind that some people are stupid. i bought a std faded new in 2007 for $1600. you can get a "regular" used Standard for $1500-1800 and a used Historic for $1800-2200.

i miss that Std Faded though....it was a smoking guitar.

I have a '05 standard faded t.b. and still love it. did an rs pots&caps upgrade and this weekend i put bb's #2&3 in it . sounds better than than bb's pro imo. that guitar really cooks now. I would say hold on to that guitar it's a sleeper.

I always liked the Standard Faded, and one of my local shops still has a couple, one of which I've been thinking of snagging up. Question for all the SF experts here, were they offered with both 50's AND 60's necks? The couple that I've played have had drastically different feeling necks that remind me of going from my LP Custom to one of my LP DC Pros.

Archived