Gibson Brands Forums

Motorcycles

mcmurray

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I rode for decades with no helmet. My excuse was that I could never find a helmet that fit me right. I bought a few over the years' date=' not cheap junk, either! Maybe I didn't give them enough of a chance, but I did try them. About 3 years ago someone on ebay treated themselves to some rudely expensive helmet with Bluetooth, windshield wipers, built in aromatherapy and heat massage, and they put their almost new Arai open face on ebay with a buy it now price of $50. Needless to say I jumped on it. It fits! I can wear it without either feeling like the wind is going to pull my head off or I've lost all peripheral vision. What a wonderful helmet.

I can't say I wear it 100% of the time, but it could be 1983 all over again, terrorizing with no helmet on a KZ900.

Funny, when I got back into bikes a few years ago, I bought a '77 CB750K, then went to an '81 XS650, then to an '82 GL500 Silver Wing, then to the CB360. No idea why I keep going to smaller bikes, but for the riding I do (commuting and the occasional corner store run) it's perfect. And it takes me back to the 70s....[/quote']

It's a lot more fun to go fast on a "slow" bike than it is to go slow on a fast bike! [blink]

I often got the feeling when I was riding that automobile drivers were annoyed that I was having too much fun and they tried to hit me. That is another reason I gave them up.

I know several riders and former riders who would readily concur. A few who've been deliberately rear-ended at intersections. Some cagers really resent motorcyclists.

Don't worry about us non-helmet wearing fools out there people. You can worry about all the illegals taking your tax dollars, not me. Oh and shut your pie holes if you dont like something turn head but pay attention in front of you, dont want your dumb *** hitting me again. Thank you and have a great day!

Don't worry about us non-helmet wearing fools out there people. You can worry about all the illegals taking your tax dollars' date=' not me. Oh and shut your pie holes if you dont like something turn head but pay attention in front of you, dont want your dumb *** hitting me again. Thank you and have a great day![/quote']

The problem is when and if you become incapacitated in an accident sooner or later you will use public money. Anyone who says they won't and that they accept the responsibility is in denial.

That being said, riding a motorcycle in a tank top and sandals is a treat that I will never forget and will never do again.

The problem is when and if you become incapacitated in an accident sooner or later you will use public money. Anyone who says they won't and that they accept the responsibility is in denial.

That being said' date=' riding a motorcycle in a tank top and sandals is a treat that I will never forget and will never do again.[/quote']

grampa, Ive been down in a hit and run on my Harley, 8 staples in my head and a nice bill from Broward trauma center after PPO picked up majority. When I become incapacitated in my next hit and run from the **** drivers out there my friend will be slipping in to give me my shot. We have a deal. Being an artist I requested one last abstract piece hoping he would flow my head off and make art on the wall but we could only agree on a shot in the IV. Oh well, cant win them all. Happy riding!

Stew, that's a nice biker fantasy and I have known some with the same one, you know, my buddies will put me down before the doctors or whatever. But it didn't work out that way. The biker died a slow expensive and maybe painful death. Nice fantasy but unrealistic.

Stew' date=' that's a nice biker fantasy and I have known some with the same one, you know, my buddies will put me down before the doctors or whatever. But it didn't work out that way. The biker died a slow expensive and maybe painful death. Nice fantasy but unrealistic.[/quote']

No fantasy here but I do understand where you're coming from... in a average humans life, some are all talk, some are not. When I say the fish I caught was <----this big---->, it really was <----this big---->! Thanks you for thinking I was... one of them. you are now corrected.

Here's the way I see it. No way I'm getting on a bike without a helmet, no matter what the laws are! You can be the safest rider in the world but the unexpected unexpected can and will bite you. Riding is risky enough.

Plus it keeps the bugs out of your mouth.

• 2 months later...

Well I saw one of these in the flesh on Saturday, and it was love at first sight, it'll be my next bike as soon as I can unload a few guitars on ebay to fund it: Honda CBR1100XX - once the fastest vehicle money could buy;

CBR1100XX-SuperBlackbirda.jpg

Wear your helmet!

[cool]

I believe that's what a guy I work with just bought.

He has half a dozen hot bikes, does some road racing on his Ducati.

Another couple of guys race GSXRs.

I like to watch, but draggin' knees ain't my thing personally....

Yeah I'm not much of a knee dragger either. This particular bike is more suited for eating up kilometers, which is mainly what I'll be using it for (that and commuting to work).

I'll be sparing no expense on a new helmet to go with it [cool]

Well I saw one of these in the flesh on Saturday' date=' and it was love at first sight, it'll be my next bike as soon as I can unload a few guitars on ebay to fund it: Honda CBR1100XX - once the fastest vehicle money could buy;

[img']http://www.manualesdemotos.net/catalog/images/CBR1100XX-SuperBlackbirda.jpg[/img]

Get a Harley and live longer... Speed will make you bleed... Heavy and slow has tons of mojo... [cool]

• 2 months later...

Well it looks like a new motorcycle day is rapidly approaching for me. As much as I'd like the Blackbird, dad wants to sell me one of his bikes. Choices are a Ducati ST3 or a Honda VFR800. Both have very low mileage and are in mint condition. I'm 99% sure I'll choose the ST3. What do you guys reckon?

ST3;

2007-ducati-sporttouring--5w.jpg

01_10241.jpg

VFR;

2007-Honda-InterceptorVFR800FIb.jpg

...If Harley's were priced realistically I might consider it. For now though' date=' they're a rip off, at least around here.[/quote']

Tell me about it. I paid around 60,000 USD for my 2008 HD Fat Bob. 2/3 of that are pure taxes to the Danish government.

Same goes for cars. Talk about being ripped off.

And since this thread has been resurrected I might as well add some pics... ;)

The gf and I getting ready for a little ride. She has problems with her back and a lot of other stuff, so she can't hang on by her own self, so I bought a detachable sissybar for her.

I really dislike the looks of those things, but it comes off easy and she's happy.

Bikeweek2009-05.jpg

The bike.

EOS-ES2008-02.jpg

Me and the 18"...

EOS-ES2008-09.jpg

Tell me about it. I paid around 60' date='000 USD for my 2008 HD Fat Bob. 2/3 of that are pure taxes to the Danish government.

Same goes for cars. Talk about being ripped off.[/quote']

Holy sh*t. That amount of tax is insane!

Looks cold over there, how much of the year can you ride? The worst it does here is rain so I can ride all year around no problem.

A good season lets you ride about 6-7 months. Usually only 6. If you don't mind driving in hard rain and wind and hail and with salt on the roads, you can drive 9 months out of a year. But you'll be freezing a lot of the time.

Archived