Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first album you purchased?

ledzep59

Name the album, medium, and give an estimate of the year.

Mine was a cassette tape of Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced".

I remember I bought it at a Turtle's music (which I don't think exists anymore) in about 1991, I was 7 or 8 years old.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first one I ever bought. In the Post Exchange in Panama Canal Zone, 1956, as a gift for my Dad.

Benny+Goodman+-+The+Great.jpg

LOL! I bet most of you guys are feeling pretty young now. LOL_smilie.gif

I have a replacement copy of this album as the original got played out. I taught myself to drum listening to Goodman's music and Krupa's drumming.

To preface: it started one day when my dad picked me up from school--this was way back when I was maybe ten or so, and he always had the classic rock radio stations on in his car. I didn't really feel the need to buy any albums at the time, because my parents had an enormous CD collection with all of the music I liked--at the time, mostly The Beatles and Van Morrison, but hell, I liked almost all of it. Anyway, Rush's "Freewill" comes on the radio.

"Who's that, Dad?"

Dad laughed. According to him, Rush was weird, and Geddy Lee was ugly and he sounded like a woman.

Soon after, I gathered up some of the allowance money I had been saving up since god knows when, and bought myself a copy of Permanent Waves. To this day I consider it a masterpiece.

metal-health.jpg

I bought this in 1983 on vinyl. I was 6 years old. I saved up my allowance and snuck off from my family to the record section of our local Zayre department store (who remembers that place? geez). Anyway, the following Monday, I took it to school to play for show & tell. My teacher called my mom to let her know I was bringing 'devil music' to school. The record wound up getting broken in half over my dad's knee when he got home from work. I only got to listen to it once. Of course, those events solidified a foundation for my love of all things metal, and on a bigger scale it played a part in how I would view the world. I realized that Rock and Roll was not worth a $% unless it made your parents and teachers nervous.

I probably bought some, but I mostly just listened to the radio or whatever my little sister had (like it or not) until the summer of '63 and I got a Leadbelly LP vinyl.

That likely tells how I was pickin' at the time, too.

m

Meet The Beatles - early 1966. My brother just got Rubber Soul & I, all of 7 years old & didn't like it. I remember saying "It's too slow. I like the older Beatles". Now Rubber Soul is one of my 3 favorite Beatle Albums.

Craig

Archived