Gibson Brands Forums

I hate myself.

Andre S

Dude' date=' you didn't mess up your Lester! [omg']

sigh....

I did...

I'm only going to continue modding it, till I fix it.

To hell with DIY mods.

I installed, three new pots a new cap for master tone, and when I finished I plugged in, not a freaking sound, only feedback...

I hurried to undo it, but didn't put in the plate again, and I went to play it, a lot better but still, I have to redo it.

Don't think I can use those RS pots, right now I just want Gibby back...:-s....I'm oddly optimistic about it though.

I may be able to use the jensen cap, but only after I ensure everything is back to normal with the original parts.

Awe' date=' that's very fixable. You had me worried, I thought you started drilling holes or something.[/quote']

Ok, so what do I do?

I rewired it exactly how it was and there is still a buzz?

Is the ground wire soldered badly? or what?

Ok' date=' so what do I do?

I rewired it exactly how it was and there is still a buzz?

Is the ground wire soldered badly? or what?[/quote']

Don't quit on yourself. Step back and take a break for awhile, get your head straight. You can't work on stuff like that when you're PO'd. There are enough good peeps here that you'll get through it and be glad you did. And, yes, it's very possible that there's a cold joint in the ground circuit. Try to relax before going ahead.

Could be the cap or a bad grounding job. Deepblue gave some good advice. Take it to a pro' date=' the few extra bucks will also pay for some piece of mind.[/quote']

Yea but after I put inthe jensen cap, and it didn't work, I replaced the original gibson setup. and still nothing!

No volume nothing...

sigh....

I did...

I'm only going to continue modding it' date=' till I fix it.

To hell with DIY mods.

I installed, three new pots a new cap for master tone, and when I finished I plugged in, not a freaking sound, only feedback...

I hurried to undo it, but didn't put in the plate again, and I went to play it, a lot better but still, I have to redo it.

Don't think I can use those RS pots, right now I just want Gibby back...[biggrin....I'm oddly optimistic about it though.

I may be able to use the jensen cap, but only after I ensure everything is back to normal with the original parts.

Whoah on there mate.:)

Deep breath,deep breath...

Completely start all over again - take your time.

Now,if you have (and I'm assuming you do) a schematic for what you're attempting to do,get it back out and familiarize yourself with it. Sit down and study it. No I'm not being facetious,just do it.

Now look at your guitar's control cavity and picture where everything goes while using the schematic as a guide.

Do exactly as it says -easy - MAKE SURE you have no bare wires earthing out anywhere. Always strive for the cleanest connections as possible. And do NOT apply heat to wires/pots for any longer than needed. Try to be as quick as possible as they can be burnt out from excessive heat. Not common,but not impossible...especially for the uninitiated.

Follow all your wiring point - point. Check and re-check...as I always say - it's a matter of trial & error.

Sorry to say it's a little late for my advice. Practice on a few things that Aren't You Guitar!!

Get some soldering time in on old foot pedals or a Pawn Shop LP copy.

However, don't loose heart. Just take your time and take pics of you progress.

When I feel I'm in over my head I think of something I heard WC Fields say, "What Man has done, Man can do." (Or the Guitar variant, "What Fingers have done, my Fingers can do").

Thats why I always take my guitars to the pros to install any type of mod. Im out of my league and not afraid to admit it.

After a trip to 2 seperate "Pros"("authorized" techs) for a re-wire & several other repairs after an amp short melted half of the wiring & smoked 2 pots & the 3-way switch in my Lester' date=' it STILL didn't sound right.......it was single coiling on both p'ups & sounded like a vintage TELE........

Disgusted with the local "talent" I cracked it open myself, to discover..........

[img'][/img]GarysCam111.jpg

a disconnected wire, a jumper wire soldered in from hot to ground (!?!?!) and (not shown) a ground wire connected to the output lug on the volume pot.

on the other p'up........

GarysCam109.jpg

a backward wiring scheme in reference to the pot wiring.

Thanks to some Sage advice, & step by step instructions provided by a fellow "Forumite", and pics on this forum of correctly wired "circuitboard" p'ups, I was able to correct the problems myself, and it sounds like new........maybe even better!

Don't just trust ANY old "Pro".........check their reputation out 1st. (I wish I'd taken my own advice beforehand)

Ok, but I don't know where to start, I don't know where the problem is in the whole circuit.

I mightn't be able to take it a pro till the 25th and if not, not till Easter....

I gotta do this myself.

Where do I start in fixing the problem.

How do I fix the ground if its become loose at the bushing side?

Ok' date=' but I don't know where to start, I don't know where the problem is in the whole circuit.

I mightn't be able to take it a pro till the 25th and if not, not till Easter....

I gotta do this myself. - Exactamondo.

Where do I start in fixing the problem. - From the toppermost of the poppermost.

How do I fix the ground if its become loose at the bushing side?

Just start all over again from the beginning. Check & re-check.

Bushing? Huh? What do you mean?

It ain't rocket science. You'll get it. Trust me...that's if you haven't burnt out anything.[cool]

It would be hard for that cable to come loose on the bushing end. It is easy to test if that cable is making contact if you have a multimeter, if you don't then use a battery and a lightbulb or a speaker to make sure the cable is passing signal.

When I was rewiring my Explorer, I had problems, turns out that the green wire that goes to the toggle switch is ground and not the black one, go figure.

Archived