Gibson Brands Forums

Wanted: To find the cost of "ADJ"-aphobia

62burst

A 2 part-er here: In the search for a vintage J-45:

1) Are the J-45's that were made with the adjustable bridges prone to enough trouble that it's best to search for a pre-1958 model?

2)What would be the expected price range for a mid-1950's model that's fairly original, in very good + condition?

Thanks much

I have a 1966 J-45 Adj and my friend has a 1965. Both are GREAT guitars (both cherry sunburst). Her's is pretty beaten up, but structurally sound and it is one of the finest acoustic guitars I have ever heard, with INCREDIBLE bass and the clarity and projection is immense. The two guitars sound quite different. Mine is in extremely fine shape, but (maybe because it was never played as much) does not have the same volume and it's sound is more mid range. Mine is a great guitar too, and I have a L. R. Baggs M1 active in it. I use it live. In theory the J-45's with the bolt on bridge should not sound as good as those with a glued on bridge but in practice it comes down to the individual guitar. If you're after a J-45 you need to try plenty. I also have a recent (About 2005) J-45 I got new. It also sounds very good. I tried a lot before choosing that one. I still don't have the perfect J-45 for me and am always looking for it!! If I owned my friends J-45 my search would be over!

Archived