Gibson Brands Forums

shopping tips

warn1

I have been looking at picking up a LP.... mostly just play a flat top so this is new to me. There is so many to look at, so is there any tips as to what to look for as a first time buyer. I need to get to a big center where there is more than one or two to look at, the joys of living in the sticks. When I go on to ebay they all look good ....I can see why one could end up with more than just one. This could be a bad addiction.[biggrin]

for the money, first time in with a Lester, you can't go far wrong with a Les Paul Studio. Ain't tried the faded variety but they're a beautiful guitar for the fiscal outlay.

As above, go to the dealer & play every thing he has hanging on his walls & pick which one that does it for you. Good luck & have fun ;-)

There is so many to look at' date=' so is there any tips as to what to look for as a first time buyer.[/quote']

The best advice I got is just keep reading stuff on the web and then go look at as many as you can.

Figure out what features, colors, trim levels appeal to you, then come back here and ask lotsa questions.

Tim (AreNine) was the first to reply to you, and though he's a colossal d!ck he knows his Les Pauls.

It's his opinions I occasionally disagree with....

:D/

Okay, seriously, you're in good hands here.

Ebay can be overwhelming, but reading the more informative ads can be enlightening.

They're really a complicated guitar when you start looking at all the changes the years brought them.

Are you thinking new?

There's enough variety there to make your head swim.

Me?

I hate the New Standard introduced in late 2008, and I hate the VOS finishes on the reissues.

Look at the Traditional before you make any purchases.

The Studio is a great budget-oriented guitar without the cosmetic frills, how important is that to you?

If the money isn't a big issue, look at the reissues like the R6, R7, R8, R9 and R0. (That's 1956-1960.)

Also look at the Customs.

You're gonna pay a little more but..... wow....

If you can't tell the difference, then don't pay the difference.

If you dabble in the used ones, then it will make you nuts for sure.

Thing is, they are often well-cared for and 20 year old Les Pauls can be a great bargain.

Look for anything around the back of the neck below the headstock.

Any sign of a crack or repair there is a deal breaker unless it's dirt fxcking cheap.

It might play fantastic and last forever, but the resale value is shot.

Look at the neck joint where it meets the body for any signs of repair or finish work that might hide an issue.

Happy shopping!

I can see why one could end up with more than just one. This could be a bad addiction.

You are a wise man to realize that so soon in the game....

[thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

....I can see why one could end up with more than just one. This could be a bad addiction.[thumbup]

Totally right for that !

I would suggest you to do your homeworks before buying one. The Gibson web site is a good place to start. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

I went to pick up a LP in the local store ....walked into the flat top room and there was a es175just hanging on the wall I thought it was new as it was in mint shape. It was on sale so now I still do not have a LP. But she is sweet and the price was right I will try to post some pics tonight. IMG_5363.jpgIMG_5354.jpgIMG_5353.jpg

Mostly new country and light rock ..Eagles, urban ect. Play a bit of steel guitar but it is slow to learn. I would really like to pickup on some slide guitar. mosly a wantabe guitar player. When you see some of the players on youtube it makes me wonder why I try. But it is all fun.

I went to pick up a LP in the local store ....walked into the flat top room and there was a es175just hanging on the wall I thought it was new as it was in mint shape. It was on sale so now I still do not have a LP. But she is sweet and the price was right I will try to post some pics tonight.

Looks like at first sight. Congratulations. Very Pretty.

As far as the LP goes, take your time... Personally, I would not buy one over the internet, unless you can return it - if there is something wrong with it. Or it just doesn't feel right for whatever reason. I just bought mine from Guitar Center. It arrived out of the blue last Monday. My sales person called me, because he knew I wanted one. So I got first dibs on it. Needless to say, it's at home now.

I wanted a Traditional and played a few of them. The necks were different on each and everyone. Some were pretty thin, even though they were all 50's necks. I wanted as chuncky of a neck as I could get, without paying a VOS price. When I picked mine up, the neck was exactly what I wanted. And the color was too - Ice Tea.

Happy hunting.

Billy Do you have any pics? Good point about the internet ....if it says no returns It would make me wonder.

[/img] http://i999.photobucket....motivate12/DSC01016.jpg

Warn1 - I don'tknow if this is working or not. I'm having trouble adding a picture. I clicked on the icon with the sun and mountain, then pasted the web-site next. I 'm probably doing something wrong.:-k

hey guys i'm a newbie so dis on me later on but my question for you experts out there i want to buy a Gibson Les Paul Special

Double Cut but it had a neck repair and its on sale for $300 bucks and this guitar was made in May of 07. Can someone please tell me what would be wrong in buying a guitar that had a neck repair

thanks

also lets say that i would buy it, is it possible where they would repair the the entire neck and put a brand new one??

thanks again

hey guys i'm a newbie so dis on me later on but my question for you experts out there i want to buy a Gibson Les Paul Special

Double Cut but it had a neck repair and its on sale for $300 bucks and this guitar was made in May of 07. Can someone please tell me what would be wrong in buying a guitar that had a neck repair

thanks

also lets say that i would buy it' date=' is it possible where they would repair the the entire neck and put a brand new one??

thanks again [/quote']

how does it look and play? Is it worth 300 to you? If you had to resell it would you get your money back.

Archived