Gibson Brands Forums

Please help to check authenticity of LP Classic 2005

Mahatma

I bought the guitar on Ebay. The seller said that there is no paperwork with that guitar.

Its a Gibson LP classic 05. Serial number: 051856

Buy it now price was 900GBP, which is lower than average on ebay.uk

Reason for sale stated as "needed money because spent too much on Christmas presents for kids"

Pictures are of not very good quality. I requested good pictures of back sides of the pickups, pickup and controls cavities and trus rod.

The finish is Tobacco sunburst plain. Im not sure if it is usual for these finishes to have such neck painting on the back. (Please look at the pics)

Here is the link to the guitar http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110482166184&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Thanks for help guys

for 900 'buy it now' offer it would go to someone else if I waited for the seller to answer [crying]

so Im either very lucky or totally screwed if its a fake. altough I haven't payed yet, so I have time to make sure its authentic LP [bored]

congrats on the LP mate [lol] , but just to clarify things...if a seller says something like overspent at xmas and needs a quick sale dosen't mean anything dodgy is going on, about 12 yrs ago i bought a gorgeous LP standard brand new from a dealer for £1399 in honey-burst, i loved that guitar but about 5 months after i bought it i fell on hard times (i mean realy bad money problems) and the only way i could get quick cash was to sell my baby...i got £550 for her "gutted" and something that will always stay with me...what i'm saying is that there are genuine people out there that aint out to rob or deceive you but are honest like you and i and have just had a bad run that YOU will benefit from...

congrats on the LP mate [lol] ' date=' but just to clarify things...if a seller says something like overspent at xmas and needs a quick sale dosen't mean anything dodgy is going on, about 12 yrs ago i bought a gorgeous LP standard brand new from a dealer for £1399 in honey-burst, i loved that guitar but about 5 months after i bought it i fell on hard times (i mean realy bad money problems) and the only way i could get quick cash was to sell my baby...i got £550 for her "gutted" and something that will always stay with me...what i'm saying is that there are genuine people out there that aint out to rob or deceive you but are honest like you and i and have just had a bad run that YOU will benefit from...[/quote']

Yep.

I put my '72 Les Paul Recording in a pawn shop once, just to make sure the kids had Christmas. I got it back, and gigged it for many more years, but some are not so lucky.

Congrats on the Classic, Mahatma.

The finish is Tobacco sunburst plain. Im not sure if it is usual for these finishes to have such neck painting on the back.

Unless I'm very much mistaken; it's not Tobacco Sunburst.

It's a finish called 'Vintage Sunburst'. If you wish to confirm this then all you need to do is remove the neck p-up.

The differences between TBSB and VSB are that the heel' date=' the top of the upper bout (where the strap button is affixed) and inside area of the cutaway are all sprayed that very dark brown on the VSB instruments.

Here's my 1991 Classic for reference.

[img']http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/pippy59/VSB.jpg[/img]

Archived