Gibson Brands Forums

Coca Cola or Pepsi?

nikko18

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Aaaah,   yes.    Vernors is in a different class for sure.   Too good, even, to mix with bourbon. 

My mother in law is from Michigan and loves Vernors. We can only get in once in a while when I'm down in SC.  Its been out of stock at the store that carries it for the last 4 or 5 times I've gone down there.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Aaaah,   yes.    Vernors is in a different class for sure.   Too good, even, to mix with bourbon. 

Sure.  As a Michigander I'm also fond of Vernor's.  The only ginger ale(in my experience) that has real BITE to it.  We drink it straight, on ice and even baste our hams with it.  [wink]  And it's good for what ails you.......

Leave it get warm and flat(or even not) and it'll help settle your stomach.   And I don't know anyone who mixes bourbon with anything(except a bit of water)  Whiskey is another matter.  There's some who'll mix Seagrams with Vernor's,  and usually Seagram's is mixed with 7-up(the ol' 7&7).  

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

There's some who'll mix Seagrams with Vernor's,  and usually Seagram's is mixed with 7-up(the ol' 7&7).  

Whitefang

Yes, Seagrams and Vernor's is what I'm talking about! I'm a refugee from Hazel Park, MI, go Rock n Rye!!

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m calling it Chic (like the 70’s Disco band) Fillet from now on. 

Haha, I have no idea the spelling of the place since this was the first Deb & I ate there. I didn't even see their sign, We could not believe the cars that went through that place. car after car after car like they were giving food away. Chic sounded great to me Lol.

5 hours ago, Big Bill said:

This and a little vodka is very tasty, dangerously so!

It's been so many years back  about 3 decades or more and Vodka knocks me out pretty fast. Is that what they put in a screwdriver? I won my first dog show that I showed Bandit. As a award, some guy mixed one up for me. I think he put triple or more vodka in it. 

For my first 10 years of (Drinking) life -  Scotch and Grapefruit Juice were like mother's milk to me.  The only thing, other than beer I drank.   Never had a bartender who thought it unusual.   They got the grapefruit juice out of those little cans.  Not sure I'd have stuck with it so long if it were unhealthy  - 'carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate...."   I suppose there's a Squirt  of grapefruit juice in there somewhere....

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

For my first 10 years of (Drinking) life -  Scotch and Grapefruit Juice were like mother's milk to me.  The only thing, other than beer I drank.   Never had a bartender who thought it unusual.   They got the grapefruit juice out of those little cans.  Not sure I'd have stuck with it so long if it were unhealthy  - 'carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate...."   I suppose there's a Squirt  of grapefruit juice in there somewhere....

Wait a minute Scotch and grapefruit juice? I remember being in a bar in Santa Barbara and a girl (woman) next to me ordered a vodka and coke. I turned to her and said did you just order what I think I heard you order? She even let me take a sip. It was my one and only sip of that concoction. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/22/2021 at 12:41 AM, Retired said:

Today after our long walk in the forest with both grandkids, they wanted to eat at Chic Fillet.  Deb & I don't eat there but we did today. She had a coupon that got us a big savings so her and I had a Coke today.  I guess the Chic Fillet was Greyson's choice and tomorrow is Reagan's choice so I am told tomorrows lunch will be at Sonic.  Haha, Whatever so I guess its soda again for lunch tomorrow. I wonder where our outing will be?  I worked my butt off mowing the front and back and trimming about a hundred yards of hedges for this Lol.  We did have great fun today with the kids though. 

Oh, CHICK FIL-A.   Never had their stuff.  People whose opinions on that sort of thing  I trust tell me their food isn't anything special enough to put up with the lines you see there, and WAY overpriced.   The chicken at CHICKEN SHACK is good enough.  And their cole slaw isn't just to die for,  it's good enough to KILL for!  [cool]

Whitefang

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Oh, CHICK FIL-A.   Never had their stuff.  People whose opinions on that sort of thing  I trust tell me their food isn't anything special enough to put up with the lines you see there, and WAY overpriced.   The chicken at CHICKEN SHACK is good enough.  And their cole slaw isn't just to die for,  it's good enough to KILL for!  [cool]

Whitefang

We don't have a chicken shack.  So Chick  Fil-A  huh? We never went there before but the kids wanted to go there so grandma took them there. I did not see the sign on the place so did not know how they spelled it.  I think all fast food places are way over priced. Myself, I would never go there. 

20 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Having actually BEEN there,  I think their food is excellent.  Never heard of "Chicken Shack".   We've had places open up to outrageously long line, backing up onto the freeway  Krispy Kreme,  In & Out Burgers,   and after a few weeks the lines disappeared. Chik Fil A  -  the lines after years are still very long at lunch and dinner time.  Cars backed up 10 deep three across.   So, I have to believe it's not just faddish.   Our (international) airport - the manager wanted to open up a Chik Fil A  store and the Mayor issued an edict blocking it. Went to court and he lost.  Now he's trying to find other ways to block it.  Same thing happened in NYC.   Amusing. 

14 hours ago, Retired said:

We don't have a chicken shack.  So Chick  Fil-A  huh? We never went there before but the kids wanted to go there so grandma took them there. I did not see the sign on the place so did not know how they spelled it.  I think all fast food places are way over priced. Myself, I would never go there. 

Yeah, a lot of places have an over hyped rep.  For instance...

LONGHORN STEAKHOUSE, has good steak, but no better than OUTBACK, TEXAS ROADHOUSE, or LOGAN'S,  but costs much more than those three.  And with those other three, it's all a matter of atmosphere that makes a difference.  I find the OUTBACKs 'round here too dark inside.  Can barely see what you're eating.  And TEXAS ROADHOUSE still does that peanut thing and is "wall to wall" covered in shells.    LOGAN'S has a bucket of peanuts on each table too, but the clientele(most of them) try not to drop the shells on the floor, but any shells that do get dropped are quickly swept up.  Plus, unlike the TX Roadhouse, they don't play the country music to split your eardrums.  [cool]

And right BUTCH.  Fast food prices have gotten ridiculous.  Remember back in the "day" when McDONALD'S  used to advertise; "Get a burger, fries and a drink and get CHANGE back from your DOLLAR!" ?   :rolleyes: NOW you're lucky to get any good amount of change back from your TWENTY!  [-X  I remember when a dollar would get you three cheeseburgers, fries and a Coke at White Castle.  And their coffee was oddly priced at NINE CENTS a cup.  [confused]  And if you drank it inside it came in a heavy ceramic cup!

Whitefang

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, a lot of places have an over hyped rep.  For instance...

LONGHORN STEAKHOUSE, has good steak, but no better than OUTBACK, TEXAS ROADHOUSE, or LOGAN'S,  but costs much more than those three.  And with those other three, it's all a matter of atmosphere that makes a difference.  I find the OUTBACKs 'round here too dark inside.  Can barely see what you're eating.  And TEXAS ROADHOUSE still does that peanut thing and is "wall to wall" covered in shells.    LOGAN'S has a bucket of peanuts on each table too, but the clientele(most of them) try not to drop the shells on the floor, but any shells that do get dropped are quickly swept up.  Plus, unlike the TX Roadhouse, they don't play the country music to split your eardrums.  [cool]

And right BUTCH.  Fast food prices have gotten ridiculous.  Remember back in the "day" when McDONALD'S  used to advertise; "Get a burger, fries and a drink and get CHANGE back from your DOLLAR!" ?   :rolleyes: NOW you're lucky to get any good amount of change back from your TWENTY!  [-X  I remember when a dollar would get you three cheeseburgers, fries and a Coke at White Castle.  And their coffee was oddly priced at NINE CENTS a cup.  [confused]  And if you drank it inside it came in a heavy ceramic cup!

Whitefang

The Texas Roadhouse here stopped doing the peanuts since COVID started. It is the only steak restaurant left here that is decent but expensive. The only times we go there are for our birthdays. Either Deb or I will get a gift card from the kids to eat there. The only 2 items I like there are the 8 oz. Fillet or the Ribs. I might order a rack and eat half & take the other half home to eat for lunch the next day. Once in a great while we might head to the Outback but its not my favorite. All of my favorite places have closed down since we married.  Yes, I always tell people, What happened to prices back in the 60's & 70's? I was in high school and for lunch I could run next door from Thomas Jefferson to McDonalds, where I worked at in summer and get a Big Mac meal and coke for .75c.  and get 2 dimes and a nickel back from my buck.  Not only have the prices shot way up stupid but the quality of the food has gone way down to crap. Not worth it anymore, It's better to go to the grocery store and cook at home. 

• Like 1

My taste for sodas has evolved over the years;

9-15 years old - Coke

16-35 years old - Dr Pepper

36-56 years old - Diet Coke

57-Present - Diet Dr Pepper

I try to limit my consumption of sodas to two a day. 
Coffee in the morning, and a couple of sodas during the day, interspersed with bottled water. 

It the evening, it's beer, thank you very much. 

😐

11 hours ago, Retired said:

The Texas Roadhouse here stopped doing the peanuts since COVID started. It is the only steak restaurant left here that is decent but expensive. The only times we go there are for our birthdays. Either Deb or I will get a gift card from the kids to eat there. The only 2 items I like there are the 8 oz. Fillet or the Ribs. I might order a rack and eat half & take the other half home to eat for lunch the next day. Once in a great while we might head to the Outback but its not my favorite. All of my favorite places have closed down since we married.  Yes, I always tell people, What happened to prices back in the 60's & 70's? I was in high school and for lunch I could run next door from Thomas Jefferson to McDonalds, where I worked at in summer and get a Big Mac meal and coke for .75c.  and get 2 dimes and a nickel back from my buck.  Not only have the prices shot way up stupid but the quality of the food has gone way down to crap. Not worth it anymore, It's better to go to the grocery store and cook at home. 

I really don't know if the TX roadhouse here still does it too.  Haven't been to any of those places in 5 or more years.  And sure....

I can recall when a Whopper was 59 cents!   And now one costs more than a pound of ground sirloin!  [omg]  Which of course, you could get FOUR good burgers out of.  [wink]

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

My taste for sodas has evolved over the years;

9-15 years old - Coke

16-35 years old - Dr Pepper

36-56 years old - Diet Coke

57-Present - Diet Dr Pepper

I try to limit my consumption of sodas to two a day. 
Coffee in the morning, and a couple of sodas during the day, interspersed with bottled water. 

It the evening, it's beer, thank you very much. 

😐

My childhood( pre-9-15) leans more to "flavored" pops, like Sunshine grape soda, Dad's or Hires root beer, and Orange Crush( and I go back to when it still came in a brown glass bottle.)  But, in a pinch, ANY pop would do.  [wink]  Then later, Coke was the choice, but by age 18 I leaned toward "clean" soft drinks.  To whit, Sprite, 7-Up and the like.  But over time I've become less fussy and can accept a variety of soft drinks.  And by the way....

DR. PEPPER makes a diet version with Cherry that's become a favorite of mine.

NEHI made a lot of good ones too.

Whitefang

36 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I'm only familiar with that Dr. Pepper with cream soda mixed in.  Is THAT the one?  I'll agree, it IS good! 

Whitefang

I guess that's it, its all in one can. I'm a diet Coke guy cause I gotta watch my girlish figure. And my wife loves sweet tea. Her brother says if you don't have to brush your teeth after drinking it, its not sweet enough. I have to do half sweet and half unsweet.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper