Gibson Brands Forums

Coca Cola or Pepsi?

nikko18

Big Red + Tequila.   A really big hit here.  The soda is also used as a secret ingredient in BBQ sauce.                                                                           Invented in Waco, as was Dr. Pepper. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:57 AM, sparquelito said:

My taste for sodas has evolved over the years;

9-15 years old - Coke

16-35 years old - Dr Pepper

36-56 years old - Diet Coke

57-Present - Diet Dr Pepper

I try to limit my consumption of sodas to two a day. 
Coffee in the morning, and a couple of sodas during the day, interspersed with bottled water. 

It the evening, it's beer, thank you very much. 

😐

I never could stand the taste of diet. Deb would not believe me and I was blindfolded to do tastes. I was given a coke, Pepsi, dr. pepper and even a Diet Coke and a diet pepsi and something else? Anyway, I ate a cracker in between each one and I picked them all correctly saying what they all were. They did it twice mixing them all around and I picked them all correctly. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife loves the Dr. Pepper Cream soda they have now.

As kids, mom and dad didn't make that much so if we got soda it was that cheap stuff.  If we got the real Mcoy, it was from a coin we found on the ground and rushed to get a soda. I can't remember what it was called? They had different flavors, cola, orange, cherry, root beer, maybe a rc? Anyway, we only got it when we went on vacation. If we were sick, we got a 7 up Lol. 

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Big Red + Tequila.   A really big hit here.  The soda is also used as a secret ingredient in BBQ sauce.                                                                           Invented in Waco, as was Dr. Pepper. 

Haven't had Big Red since they quit selling it at Cedar Point.

2 hours ago, Retired said:

I never could stand the taste of diet. Deb would not believe me and I was blindfolded to do tastes. I was given a coke, Pepsi, dr. pepper and even a Diet Coke and a diet pepsi and something else? Anyway, I ate a cracker in between each one and I picked them all correctly saying what they all were. They did it twice mixing them all around and I picked them all correctly. 

Actually, I never found the  diet pops' taste to be objectionable.  Since my wife was diabetic and of course, drank it I thought it was stupid to keep two kinds of pop in the house( diet and regular)  so I drank the diet also.  

Whitefang

16 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Isn't Big Red gum?

When I was stationed in Petaluma, CA one of the supply guys I worked with who was and ex-Navy Chief made Huli Huli Chicken for our shop get togethers, and part of his secret ingredient in the marinade was Mt. Dew.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Might Be said:

You need your head read if you drink either regularly. Disgusting sugar water that has to be served close to freezing to trick you that it's refreshing and hydrating. Try tasting it properly at room temperature. 🤮

Most who drink either at room temperature do so to treat an upset stomach.  That's an "old wives" remedy anyway.  But IMHO Vernor's, warm or cold, works better.  [wink]

17 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Water, Coffee, Tea, and Red Wine. That's it for me.

Throw a nice Reisling spatlese on that list and I'm with ya  [wink]  Anyway......

My favorite red wine(when I was drinking) was OPICI lambrusco, a brand I couldn't locate for many years.   

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Most who drink either at room temperature do so to treat an upset stomach.  That's an "old wives" remedy anyway.  But IMHO Vernor's, warm or cold, works better.  [wink]

Throw a nice Reisling spatlese on that list and I'm with ya  [wink]  Anyway......

My favorite red wine(when I was drinking) was OPICI lambrusco, a brand I couldn't locate for many years.   

Whitefang

I recently picked up a bottle of Robert Mondavi Private Selection Bourbon Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon, and enjoyed that enough to get another. It's not expensive either, and yes, we drink it at room temperature.  I know that room temp in Europe is cooler than my house in Florida, but I don't see the need to refrigerate it. It tastes just fine without going through the trouble.

I also like to pour it about a half hour before drinking it. It takes the edge off.

I also just discovered in Aldi some organic coffee grown in Peru. Quite delightful and not expensive either. I grind it myself because I read that when you buy already ground coffee, it's up to 10% ground up roaches and roach excrement. The roaches get in there, and when the huge batch is ground up, the bugs 'meet their maker'. Now I don't mind the extra protein from the roaches, but I was a phone man and had to clean out roach poo from many a phone terminal, and that's not pleasant.

I don't drink bottled water unless I'm out and need to stop off for some. I have my own well, it has good water. I had it tested, and I'm not in an agricultural or industrial area. I add mineral drops because the softener takes not only the iron out, but some beneficial minerals as well. And without those plastic bottles, I am not ingesting BPA or whatever else is present.

Perhaps it's one of the reasons why I never get sick, other than a 2-day mild cold every 15 years or so. Maybe not, who knows for sure?

I do like my water refrigerated though.

Insights and incites by Notes

Edited by Notes_Norton
speling misteak

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I recently picked up a bottle of Robert Mondavi Private Selection Bourbon Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon, and enjoyed that enough to get another. It's not expensive either, and yes, we drink it at room temperature.  I know that room temp in Europe is cooler than my house in Florida, but I don't see the need to refrigerate it. It tastes just fine without going through the trouble.

I also like to pour it about a half hour before drinking it. It takes the edge off.

I also just discovered in Aldi some organic coffee grown in Peru. Quite delightful and not expensive either. I grind it myself because I read that when you buy already ground coffee, it's up to 10% ground up roaches and roach excrement. The roaches get in there, and when the huge batch is ground up, the bugs 'meet their maker'. Now I don't mind the extra protein from the roaches, but I was a phone man and had to clean out roach poo from many a phone terminal, and that's not pleasant.

I don't drink bottled water unless I'm out and need to stop off for some. I have my own well, it has good water. I had it tested, and I'm not in an agricultural or industrial area. I add mineral drops because the softener takes not only the iron out, but some beneficial minerals as well. And without those plastic bottles, I am not ingesting BPA or whatever else is present.

Perhaps it's one of the reasons why I never get sick, other than a 2-day mild cold every 15 years or so. Maybe not, who knows for sure?

I do like my water refrigerated though.

Insights and incites by Notes

First...

I've heard that film and photo unsubstantiated urban legend about ground roaches in coffee for years now.  Thought it finally faded away with all the nonsense about margarine being made with the same chemicals as plastic.  :rolleyes:

I drink a product sold under the MEIJER brand called "1/2 Caff" supposedly containing only half the amount of caffeine than regular.  Only costs as much as regular while the fully decaffeinated  is $!0-$12 a "can"( in quotes due to coffee these days being sold in containers that resemble the one's paint is sold in these days)  .  And instead of using straight "city water" in which you can smell the odor of chlorine, I have a Brita filtering device fastened to my kitchen faucet.  I don't buy bottled water.  I'm not sure I really save a lot of money or not, but I have less plastic bottles taking up space or plastic going into landfills or filling up my recycle bin which so far never needs being taken to the curb but maybe twice a year.  And I mostly drink water from my filtered faucet, but for meals I keep a gallon pitcher of water in the fridge with a few lemon slices in it.  [wink]

Whitefang

I did check out the roach poo in the coffee, and found that the US Government allows up to 10%. Of course, that doesn't mean every batch is a max.

I find I like grinding the beans, and the first few cups after grinding are better tasting. No, I'm not going overboard to grind before each cup like some do (it isn't overboard for them).

I remember Meijer markets when I was touring, but down here the big stores are Publix and Winn Dixie.

Aldi is relative newcomer, and they don't have a great variety, but they do have some nice foods in there.

Thankfully I don't have city water with chlorine, or I'd go with the filter as you do.

Notes

One thing I noticed recently at the Meijer I patronize....

A few years ago they started carrying Eight O'Clock brand coffee, which was once the specialty of the A&P markets( now defunct).  And the store even had one of A&P's old  grinders  to grind the beans up as you may(or may not?) remember the brand was sold whole beaned in resealable bags and customers could custom grind them to their preference(coarse, perk, drip whichever)  Now their coffee aisle is rife with whole bean brands of all kinds, but they got rid of the grinder.  Bugger!   No doubt, probably, in order to be able to sell grinders to customers who might otherwise not really need one, or can't easily afford one or have room or whatnot. [cursing]

Coming from a family of serious coffee hounds, I find the switch to decaf off putting because of the price and also the unpleasant flavor.  I tried, back in the late '70's when diagnosed with Hypoglycemia to switch to decaf and found one brand, BRIM, to have a closer taste to regular than any other.  But some time ago it went off the market causing me to switch back to regular coffee with Chase&Sanborn  being my preference.  And slowly, over time, it got harder and harder to find anywhere.  But it could be found, and when I really needed to cut down on caffeine, their decaf was also priced sky high, even in those SAVE-ON  markets.  So I compromised by using the Meijer brand of "1/2 Caff", which really doesn't taste much(if any) different than regular. 

My daughters for some reason, never took to drinking coffee like the rest of their family(my side at least) does.  My older daughter will have one, maybe two cups in the morning and uses one of those KEURIG thingies.  I suggested to her taking an old 4-cup Mr. Coffee maker I had with which she could easily figure out how much grounds to use for only two cups, as those silly little "pods" for the single serve devices come at a cost of  $12+ for a little box of 24 "pods", meaning roughly  24 cups of coffee for $12+  when a 31-32 oz can of coffee for only $5.99 will yield 240 cups!  But she's sold on the Keurig, so....  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

I grind my own at home with a countertop grinder. There used to be a grinder in a local grocery store (BJ's), but they took it out. I suspect they are too labor intensive to keep clean.

I have no problem with caffeine at all. I can drink 2 cups of coffee before bed and go right to sleep. The only problem with that is with that much fluid in my system, I wouldn't be able to sleep straight through the night without getting up to urinate once.

I've had Decaf at my brother-in-law's, as he has a problem with caffeine after 7PM, and I think the removing process of the caffeine changes the taste a bit, and it's not as good. Being the guest in his house, I don't complain or criticize, but enjoy.

I remember A&P and 8 O'Clock, my parents used to drink that.  The last A&P store went belly-up around here, probably 15 or 20 years ago. By that time they were not in their prime at all, in poor repair, and not a pleasant place to shop.

I started drinking organics, since I drink 2 mugs a day, which is equivalent to 4 cups. Reading so much about the insecticides and herbicides sprayed on crops, I decided to err on the safe side. Jim's Organic Columbian tastes great, but it's expensive. Aldi's Organic from Peru is almost as good and half the price.

I sweeten it with Stevia, preferring KAL brand since it doesn't have a funny aftertaste that some cheaper brands of stevia have, and I use heavy whipping cream to lighten it. Every once in a while I'll put a little cinnamon on the grounds for something slightly different.

I make it with those conical pour-over, single cup filters. That way I make just what I want, with no waste. The coffee grounds go in my yard under the ixora and/or jasmine plants.

I also drink tea daily. I prefer Irish Breakfast Tea and I also get the organic variety. Years ago when I was in China I went to a tea farm. While there, I saw a worker spraying what definitely smelled like insecticide on the tea bushes, directly on the leaves. After that, I decided to err on the side of safety and drink nothing but organic tea.

I don't avoid insecticide crops like the plague, but I do think it's good sense to minimize the amount my body has to eliminate when I can.

Notes

• Like 1

NOTES;

Since when was B.J's a "local" grocery store?  'Round here, they just made a foothold, and they're just another warehouse club type barn like Sam's Club.  NOT the kind of place you run into real quick for something.  Unless you happen to be in real quick need of a 5 gallon  container of mayonnaise.  [wink]

21 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Out of curiosity, I checked.  Was hoping it was just rebranded.  Turns out they were owned by General Foods.  General Foods merged with Kraft and Kraft already had Maxwell House which was more popular so Brim was sidelined for 15 years.  River West stepped in and snatched it up in 2007. I don't know what happened after that, it was supposed to make a comeback so maybe it's just not available in our areas yet.   

And for you, what area would that be?  I'm upfront about mine.  [cool]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

WFang -    Yeah.  I get a kick out of folks who make references to  their location, without disclosing it.     I get a bigger kick, literally, out of the new Coke product that, like this thread, combines cola and caffeine.    If  I weren't boycotting Coke, I'd probably buy a case a month.   Instead of 2 cans a month. 

My favorite 'brand' of coffee is IHOP.    I'm not sure where you can find it, or if they have a special way of making it (we use to put a pinch of salt in the aluminum 30 cup coffee maker, and never wash it) but  IHOP's coffee always seems twice as good as any I have found anywhere.  

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

NOTES;

Since when was B.J's a "local" grocery store?  'Round here, they just made a foothold, and they're just another warehouse club type barn like Sam's Club.  NOT the kind of place you run into real quick for something.  Unless you happen to be in real quick need of a 5 gallon  container of mayonnaise.  [wink]

And for you, what area would that be?  I'm upfront about mine.  [cool]

Whitefang

You are correct, they aren't "local", they are definitely a chain. They are not too far from my house, so I think of them as local in area anyway.

Full disclosure: 😄 The "local" BJs is in Jensen Beach, Florida.

Yes, they sell things in bigger quantities, they are warehouse-ish, but they also have a nice deli, I get $0.10 off per gallon of gas, the prices are good, and they are across the parking lot from Aldi and across the street from Publix, so I get all my shopping

Notes

• Like 1

I'm going back and forth with a guy in another forum about Costco shopping(which in these parts now is no different from BJ's of Sam's Club)  and how my wife and I (former Sam's Club members) would joke about going there to lunch on all the samples they'd offer all the time.  [wink]   Back in "the day" we used to belong to one of the WAREHOUSE CLUB locations, all of which are gone now.   And since I'm retired and now a widower I have no need for getting many groceries, and other health and physical issues keep me from going many places and often enough to need getting gas for my car more often than once every three weeks or more.  And for the last few years there's been no real difference between the prices at Aldi and the Meijer store I frequent(which ids closer to home) except for some items.  So I usually go to either, depending on what I need.   And the Farmer's market my grand nephew manages has an excellent deli and top shelf produce..

FORTY:

Coke has always had caffeine, so I don't get what's so "new" about what you brought up.  And as you know, IHOP is a restaurant chain, and they no doubt sell their coffee at any restaurant location.  I've never seen it in the stores I frequent, but I'm willing to bet it's on par with DUNKIN'  and that McCAFE McDonald's is peddling now.   Much as I like coffee, I taste no difference twixt Dunkin', Tim Horton's, Krispy Kreme  and McCAFE at all.   The only major coffee that's different is Starbuck's, which I don't consider fit to drink anyway.  I suppose if you're the kind of person who goes in for those Baskin-Robbins type coffee stands, it's OK, but just straight it pretty much sucks.  It actually NEEDS to offer 31 flavors in order to be drinkable.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

I like Dunkin' OK (move the D and it spells unkind), don't care for Starbucks but will drink it, I haven't been in a McDonalds' since the early 1970s, and when I visit Canada I often stop in Tim Horton's -- because it's there.

I remember when "New Coke" came out, they took out the sugar and used a cheaper ingredient, High Fructose Corn Syrup. It didn't taste as good. When I worked on cruise ships in the 1980s, I would drink a Mexican coke when we pulled into port, because it still used cane sugar and tasted better.

When both my parents died of obesity related diseases, I was determined to shed some weight. After a few different diet failures, the Atkins diet worked for me (it's now called keto). I lost 65 pounds and kept it off for decades. My BMI is now normal, when it was obese before I figured out which diet worked for me.

So it's zilch sugar, zilch corn syrup for me.

Everybody else in my family is about 300 pounds, like my parents were.

Plus, I've outlived my father's years by 3 so far, and I'm on zero prescription meds.

Without good health, all the money in the world will only buy you a better coiffin and headstone,

Notes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure.  And thanks!

I've been been touting the detriments of high fructose corn syrup for about 20 or so years now.  I avoid any food products that use it.  Like Hershey's chocolate syrup.  And since these days(see a post in some Epiphone forum thread) I eat ice cream extremely rarely, I quit topping those rare occasions with it, using Nesquick syrup instead because of their not using high fructose corn syrup.  I mean, it made sense to me.....

I recall back when I was younger and as mean spirited as other adolescents, we often referred to other kids who were overweight as "corn fed".  Which goes back to those times when farmers wanted to fatten livestock and fowl for sale at certain markets.  The best way they found for fattening up those animals for market was to feed them corn.  And lots of it.  My Mother and Grandmother, who both grew up some on a farm told me that years ago.  It's actually more "fattening" than sugar, which only contains 16 calories in a teaspoon.  I couldn't find a calorie per teaspoon comparison for HFCS.  But recall many Asian countries use corn for sweetening, even going as far as using corn as an ice cream topping.   Indeed, since my TIA and cutback on sodium I'll eat the vary rare corn on the cob, which as a kid I enjoyed with both butter and salt, and which I eventually cut down to just having it buttered(with usually a cholesterol free margarine) to now just having it without anything on it at all.  And having it plain tastes just fine.

Yep, first knew of Tim Horton as the great Toronto Maple Leafs player, then his doughnut places in Canada.  'Round here you can't go very far without spotting a Tim Horton's.  I'm of a mind that believes Tim Horton's, Dunkin' Donuts, and Krispy Kreme  each gets their coffee from the same company, with the only difference being the packages they get it in.  [wink]  And since McDonald's McCafe coffee tastes about the same, they do too.  And in that light, since McDonald's will often offer any size soft drinks and coffee for $1,  it's a fairly good bargain over the others.

Whitefang