Gibson Brands Forums

What is this SG?

dror t.

I saw a couple of those in "worn white" finish at GC about a year ago. None since. So it's a pretty recent guitar. TRUST ME - The 6-way selector knob may offer lots of options, but in reality, the regular Gibson 3-way selector is FAR more practical, and therefore, preferable. These weren't around for a long time, so in the future may be hard to find. Unless you need something "different", I'd stick with the regular SG faded. They're great guitars. There's a new model SG Faded that is "worn ebony". I usually HATE all black guitars. Not THIS one!! I just laid one away!!

Uh-oh!! My bad. The photos just came up, and before, I thought it was a faded. (NOT!) There IS an SG "faded" model that has the same exact 3 pu/controls configuration, but dot inlays. That's a great looking SG you have there, but the same philosophy applies concerning the selector knob vs. a toggle switch. Still, if you dig the price, I don't think you'd go wrong. I don't know the era. Maybe someone can explain the odd serial number. I've never seen one of these. The full trapezoid inlays and neck binding are cool. How about photos of the peghead front? Is it the Custom logo, or like a Standard?

Archived