Gibson Brands Forums

Why cant I plug in my ultra ?

macmac

Hi

I've just took delivery of an: epiphone les paul ultra 2, electric guitar faded cherry sunburst

This is my first Gibson, and so far I'm not impressed !

It didn't come with an owners manual or cable...

So I'm not sure how to use the controls or the 2 sockets ?

I've tried to insert my normal lead

(ie: which has a standard mono 1/4" jack plug that fits my fender)

into these 2 sockets, however...

It won't go into the [Mono-Socket] more than half way, (ie it won't latch).

And...

It will go into the [stereo-Socket] but it's very tight, and only one control seems to do anything.

So I would appreciate some guidance please.

Thanks.

That's not quite right. The four front mounted knobs function as follows:

..O.............O

Neck V........Bridge V

..O.............O

Master........Nano Mag V

Tone

The 3way functions normally - switching the humbuckers.

The 3way does NOT have a volume control built into the tip (that's a feature on the Gibson Dark Fire).

There's info on the Epi website, including demo videos which will show you all you need.

Follow this link to the official site:

http://www.epiphone.com/ultraII/default.html

Info, Specs, Video, Details, etc, etc.

But the best is a video review by Guitar World found here:

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1138

I have mine setup the same way as the Guitar World reviewer - with an "A/B & Both" foot switcher. Really nice setup.

I wish Gibson had put this tech into a Gibby LP. I like the Nanomag sound better than the piezo on the Gibby LPs.

For the price though, the Ultra II is a good deal for a hybrid. Do be careful with your jack plugs. That plastic plate can break if you whack it.

Oh yeah, take all the Gibson posturing with a grain salt. Guitars have to be evaluted on an individual basis. There's junk Epis out there, as well as plenty of junk Gibsons. On the other hand, there's plenty of gems to be found, even in the Epi brand. Just sayin.

Hey Neo,

Seeing your new avatar - I gotta say, I hate that mixing brands crap on the Gibby site too. It's bull!!!

I'm not picking on Epi here. It's just when I go to checking something on the Gibby site, I don't want to wade through all the Epi stuff.

Gibson - fix that please. :D

[cool] Excuse me but, did anyone answer this poor guys main question about why his cord won't plug into the jack ? Regardless of whether he owns a new Epi or an original '59 LP Standard Burst, I have seen this problem often and on extremely valuable classic guitars. It sounds like he just needs to loosen the nut on the output jack and rotate the jack to a position where the jack contact inside the guitar does not interfere with the wood in the internal routing. Then simply re-tighten the nut securely. Once he can plug the guitar in, then the info on control functions will be of greater value as he discovers how the guitar sounds. Are we guitar snobs ?

... Are we guitar snobs ?

Nice answer to one of macmac's questions and complaints - hopefully you're correct. And I hope he's careful' date=' because as I wrote earlier: That plastic jack plate can break easily.

Also, not that I agree, but if you post questions on the wrong forum, let alone the wrong brand, you're liable to get roasted.

And despite the fact you couched your answer in derisive comments - pretty bold for a noob - welcome to the forum. [cool

Thanks for the welcome. I include myself as sort of a guitar snob and wouldn't buy a new Epi but, I would rather help a new musician than burn him. He may become a Gibson fan in the future just like us. I'm sure you know that Gibson used those cheap plastic jack plates on our beloved early LPs until a guy named Wayne Charvel started making replacement plates out of metal. Wayne later worked for Gibson and the company included metal plates on new guitars.

I know that I am a "Noob" on this forum but, I have worked on guitars for more years than many of you have been alive. I don't have time to list all of the guitars in my collection but, the '56 LP Special I just sold was one of the less interesting guitars I own. My 15 minutes of fame was being included on Gibsons' 100th anniversary poster and in their magazine ads at the time. I have talked to BB King and other Gibson artists on many occasions and they would be the last to criticize. I know the poster probably should not have posted in this forum but, shouldn't we try to help our fellow musician? He may be the next Clapton, Page, Hendrix etc.

... I don't have time to list all of the guitars in my collection ...

I'd love to see pics of your favorites - if you can pick some. [crying]

Sometime when you have some spare minutes start a thread to introduce yourself here, or in the Welcome section, and post pics of some of your favorites with some words about them. Pics are a big favorite here.

macmac -

BTW, did you get your jacks working?

http://www.epiphone.com/ultraII/default.html

looking at the thing.. they have 2 x 1/4" jacks..

mono jack says all pickups,, the other jack says NanoMag..

if you can only jack into the Namomag jack then that's why you're tone is so high.. (stereo is only when you've connected to both 1/4" jacks at the same time.)

Both are standard 1/4" jacks so they should be easy to insert a standard guitar cable... if you have problems take it to the dealer and have them check it out.. maybe a bad jack

i'm a guitar snob. but enough about me.

i will say that with the few Ultra 2s i have played, it has been difficult to plug into one or both of the jacks. just ram it in; she can take it. at least the ones i played at GC could [angry]

Come on guys.....To some people a Gibson is not an option. If they had the choice im sure theyd choose a Gibby

over an Epi...thats a no brainer.

Money is the main factor' date=' and we arent all blessed with fat bank accounts.

Show some understanding.[/quote']

This.

Wow! I find this very shocking to see people here just blatantly insulting Macmac's guitar choice and a company that for many people (like myself) has provided an affordable guitar to us people who can't afford a Gibson.

There is nothing wrong with Epiphones, they just aren't as nice as Gibson. Saying that people should get Gibsons and nothing else is good enough is like saying every one should drive a ferrari. Just cause it's better then most cars doesn't mean it's the only thing you should even consider buying.

Archived