Gibson Brands Forums

New LP Studio or Used LP Standard?

edensdad

Basically' date=' the standard and the studio is the same woman with or without make-up... :-)[/quote']

used to be the case. not so much now, depending on the model.

back in the 90s when Standards would come as plaintops, this was especially true, though the bodies could be slightly slimmer than the standard.

@ dp71 and MacMurray

My LP Studio has an alder body with maple neck... but the point of my original post was to encourage the thread-starter to chose what he likes best... after all he will be playing with it... and not asking about (the lack of) differences.

I`m aware that Studios and Standards are/were (nearly) the same (at least in some periods of their production) as far as materials pickups and so on are concerned... (But if that is totally true, customers would pay around 2.000$ new only for cosmetics? [crying] I think I`m not really the "style over substance" type of guy...)

Nobody knows the term "student model" (anymore)? O. k. perhaps it is a bit old fashioned, but the Studio is nevertheless a less pricey instrument (like the Special or Junior) and thus it can be called like that as far as I`m concerned [biggrin]

A Les Paul Studio is a "student" model guitar. A Les Paul Standard is a professional model guitar. For the same price you'll be getting a far superior instrument in the used Standard.

That is the second "dumbest" thing I've ever seen.

A "Melody Maker" might be considered a "student" model.

A "Studio" is as much a "Standard", as a Standard is.

Binding is nice, I like it on my 339, but you can't hear it work........

Just sayin'......

Regarding mahogany, it's a moot point.

Gibson, when I bought my first Les Paul in '75, used British Honduras mahogany. That's been extinct as far as its use for production line work for about fifteen years.

Virtually all "mahogany" now days is West African hardwood (utilie, sepilie...). I've just spent five years working with a master cabinet maker who knows more about wood than is feasible ;-)

• 1 month later...

If money is a consideration (I know I will catch **** from the purists here) you can buy a good quality Epiphone Les Paul Standard and swith out the pickups to 490R and 498T and get a great sounding guitar. Mine plays like butter and sound really great with the pickup change out.

Just a thought.

tlsmith

Gee wizzzz.....do you want to play it or show it?????

(I'm sure I'll catch hell for this one!)

Sorry, but I read these posts and wonder what motivates those to buy what they buy!

If you got money to burn, and want to show others that you have it (or look like you have it) , then by all means spend as much as you can for that Standard or even a Custom Les Paul.

If you like to collect guitars, just buy one of everything if you can afford it!

If you want something to play, and don't want to be afraid to use it and not just show it, you can get a Studio Les Paul. You will not be thought of as anything less! You will still have the same quality guitar at you fingertips!

If you keep an eye on the used market, you'll find either one (and likely in dang near new condition) at half the price of a new one. (usually those that originally bought it new and are selling because they can't play it, or couldn't afford it).

After looking and trying out many Les Pauls over a year span, I bought a used 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Firemist with Gold hardware + orig. hard case) in excellent condition for $600. The gold hardware is now starting to wear off in places from use (a new one would have done the same). I get my use from it and no regrets, and it plays and sounds great! (A Standard wouldn't have made me a better player).

But whatever you do, please get what YOU like because it makes YOU happy, and not because you think you'll be accepted by the masses. Make yourself happy, and to hell with what everyone else prefers.

If there is a guitar center near you then you can get a les paul studio there for 799.99 but only for the faded cherry and faded brown ones. they are the same guitars as the more expensive ones it is just the they dyed it instead of a full paint job. .

Sorry, but that is not correct. The Faded is all Mahogany, no Maple top. Although it is a very nice LP, it is very different than the Gibson Standard.

I have not tried the Studio`s with Maple tops, but I would expect them to have a similar sound to the Gibson Standard. As they have different Pickups (BB Pro only on the Standard and Studio Faded), Electronics, Neck profile, Thickness of the main Body, etc, it will not be exactly the same.

When I say Standard, I am referring to the current Gibson 08 Standard.

Sorry' date=' but that is not correct. The Faded is all Mahogany, no Maple top. Although it is a very nice LP, it is very different than the Gibson Standard.

I have not tried the Studio`s with Maple tops, but I would expect them to have a similar sound to the Gibson Standard. As they have different Pickups (BB Pro only on the Standard and Studio Faded), Electronics, Neck profile, Thickness of the main Body, etc, it will not be exactly the same.

When I say Standard, I am referring to the current Gibson 08 Standard.

[/quote']

I have a Studio worn Brown. All mahogany, no maple top but BB Pros (just like the Standards come nowadays). Now, if you may, please think and reply to that: How many times would you be able to tell the difference / which is which, in a blind test...? In the hands of the same player, through the same amp of course...?

As for me, I find it almost insane to pay almost double the price for binding, maple top & grover tuners. Hell, I could spend the extra US$ 1,000 (or EUR 1,000 in my case) to buy me a used SG Standard or a brand new Flying V or a *****in' tube amp! That makes a hella more sense, in my book at least!

I have a Studio worn Brown. All mahogany' date=' no maple top but BB Pros (just like the Standards come nowadays). Now, if you may, please think and reply to that: How many times would you be able to tell the difference / which is which, in a blind test...? In the hands of the same player, through the same amp of course...?

As for me, I find it almost insane to pay almost double the price for binding, maple top & grover tuners. Hell, I could spend the extra US$ 1,000 (or EUR 1,000 in my case) to buy me a used SG Standard or a brand new Flying V or a *****in' tube amp! That makes a hella more sense, in my book at least![/quote']

I have both the Studio Worn Brown & 08 Standard and they are very different. Have you tried the Standard yourself?

011.jpg

- The all Mahogany Studio has a darker sound. - It can be muddy when playing cords via the neck pickup with some gain. However, when playing on a clean channel, I think the sound is fantastic.

- The Standard sounds brighter and clearer

If you have both, try setting the pickups to the same hight (Strings to pickup) and you will be amazed the difference in both volume and tone. As my Standard sounded so good, I tried lifting the pickups on Studio, expecting to get a similar sound. It was so bad, I had to lower them back to the original position. I do not understand the science, but it is a fact. Try it and see for yourself.

Don`t get me wrong, the Studio is a fantastic LP, but its not the same as the Standard.

If you was talking about comparing the Standard with one of the Maple top Studio`s, you would most probably have a point. Although there is a difference in the quality of components (just look at the pots, PCB, etc), but I am not sure how much impact this has on the tone. I think very little.

I have both the Studio Worn Brown & 08 Standard and they are very different. Have you tried the Standard yourself?

011.jpg

- The all Mahogany Studio has a darker sound. - It can be muddy when playing cords via the neck pickup with some gain. However' date=' when playing on a clean channel, I think the sound is fantastic.

- The Standard sounds brighter and clearer

If you have both, try setting the pickups to the same hight (Strings to pickup) and you will be amazed the difference in both volume and tone. As my Standard sounded so good, I tried lifting the pickups on Studio, expecting to get a similar sound. It was so bad, I had to lower them back to the original position. I do not understand the science, but it is a fact. Try it and see for yourself.

Don`t get me wrong, the Studio is a fantastic LP, but its not the same as the Standard.

If you was talking about comparing the Standard with one of the Maple top Studio`s, you would most probably have a point. Although there is a difference in the quality of components (just look at the pots, PCB, etc), but I am not sure how much impact this has on the tone. I think very little.

[/quote']

Point taken, thanks for sharing this. Actually, I don't own the Standard and have never put them side to side, but I will take your word for it. Interesting...[biggrin]

We all know and accept that the maple top is an essential part of the ''Les Paul sound'', but I've always thought that a common / untrained ear would hardly hear the difference.

Gee wizzzz.....do you want to play it or show it?????

(I'm sure I'll catch hell for this one!)

Sorry' date=' but I read these posts and wonder what motivates those to buy what they buy!

If you got money to burn, and want to show others that you have it (or look like you have it) , then by all means spend as much as you can for that Standard or even a Custom Les Paul.

If you like to collect guitars, just buy one of everything if you can afford it!

If you want something to play, and don't want to be afraid to use it and not just show it, you can get a Studio Les Paul. You will not be thought of as anything less! You will still have the same quality guitar at you fingertips!

If you keep an eye on the used market, you'll find either one (and likely in dang near new condition) at half the price of a new one. (usually those that originally bought it new and are selling because they can't play it, or couldn't afford it).

After looking and trying out many Les Pauls over a year span, I bought a used 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Firemist with Gold hardware + orig. hard case) in excellent condition for $600. The gold hardware is now starting to wear off in places from use (a new one would have done the same). I get my use from it and no regrets, and it plays and sounds great! (A Standard wouldn't have made me a better player).

But whatever you do, please get what YOU like because it makes YOU happy, and not because you think you'll be accepted by the masses. Make yourself happy, and to hell with what everyone else prefers.

Five Aces

You are absolutely right. We tend to get caught up in what other people think of our equipment and try to impress the other guy with what we can or can'afford. Personally I am a poor guy and can't pay $5,000 for a Les Paul that doesn't play a bit better than my Epi (in my humble opinion). As a matter of fact my favorite axe is my Hohner HS35 that I rigged ut with GFS Filtertron pickups and a B-7 Bixby that plays and sounds as good as any guitar I have ever played. I have owned high priced guitars and they didn't make me any better of a player (not pro but a a slouch either). A good quality amp can make a great deal of difference too. My point is if yu like what you have and it plays and sounds good the only one you have to impress is yourself. Chet Atkins could make a $20.00 guitar sound good.

tlsmith

[/quote']

I don't know if you are interested in buying on ebay or not. I bought a 2008 SG from this seller, and it's as nice as he described it. He boxed it up very securely and it arrived in 2 days by FedEX.

He has a Cherry Burst 2009 Les Paul Standard Plus advertised now that looks like new for $1685, and he's throwing in a boss pedal.

Here's the link if your interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170451410635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

sorry for the OT' date=' but is that an Orange AD combo? how does it sound with the Studio?[/quote']

No, its the Tiny Terror. In my opinion it brings out the very best of both the LP`s, at least when playing at home. Its so reactive, you can go from clean to crunch simply by adjusting how hard you hit the strings and playing with the volume. The tone is amazing, a massive improvement over my Vox Valvtronix.

I have been told that the Marshall Class 5 is also a fantastic amp for playing at home. As my local shop isn`t a Marshall dealer and I fell in love with the tone of the Orange, haven`t tried many others. I think like guitars, there are many quolity Amps out there and its down to personal preference. I prefer Valve over Solid State, as feels alive and natural. Only my opinion.

Archived