Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Gibson Special Faded SG any good?

aradem4

I am wondering if the gibson special faded sg is any good? I have been playing guitar for about 5 years and I enjoy playing metal, hard rock and classic rock like van halen, rush, slayer, metallica, and iron maiden. I like to play softer songs too like stairway to heaven. I have been playing a squir hss fat strat for a couple months and an ibanez gio for several years. I have been jumbling on whether to get a gibson special sg or the gibson special faded sg since the faded is cheaper. i am going to get it at guitar center since the faded for 699.99 and the special goes for 799.99. i am also wondering if it is any good with a line 6 spider IV 75W amp since I might get one of those. thanx for your help

I've had my Special Faded for a year now, and it now sports a Bigsby B5. Between it and my 335, I sold my 1970 LP that had been my main electric since 1997.

Good axe, well made, sounds good (better since I installed chrome pickup covers) and is light and ergonomic.

I have a les paul and the sg.There is no best.Its What you like.The les paul has little more power and sustain.But the sg has more off a aggressive bite.I like em both.But i play the sg most,most because of the small lightweight body and i like the aggressive bite.I had a pickup change with EMG in mine sg special,but the original are good pickups.I just wanted a guitar that i dedicated to metal style music

I put chrome covers on the standard pickups on my Special Faded, and that seems to have given it a sweeter top end. I don't expect to change anything else, and I expect to keep it for awhile.

I gave it a workout Saturday night (first time I'd played the SG exclusively) and it was between my Les Paul and 335: the LP was more awkward and the 335 is more ergonomic for me. I -- and the other musicians -- loved the tone (through a Blues Jr NOS) and it blended really well with the acoustic guitar. I love the upper fret access -- it encourages me to reach for notes that would have been impossible on my Country Gent and difficult on Lester. I tend to go up and down the fingerboard a lot, and everything is nearly equally easy to reach. At the price it's a bargain -- but I bought it for the cool gloss-less look, not to save money. I also bought it specifically for Bigsby installation, before the Vibramate became available, and I didn't want to skin up a glossy finish. In the event, the Vibramate eliminated filling or drilling holes, but now I love the look of the sealer finish.

TKL hard cases are around $100. I keep all my guitars and basses in cases. Others behave differently.

Just another option but you could probably find a Standard for around the same price on eBay.

Best advice I've seen so far.

If the price is the ONLY factor you're considering for your guitar purchase' date=' you're in for a rude awakening.

I cannot believe somebody can scrape together $800 to buy a guitar but will refuse to spend

another $200 to get a nice new example of the REAL DEAL that started it all - the Standard.

The guitars with cheap finishes are NOT "just as good" and there are features you're missing out on.

And saving that $200?

When it comes time to sell, you just lost that - and more.

Anybody who likes an SG will buy a Standard.

Lotsa SG guys won't even consider one with the cheapo flat finish, no matter how cheap you go.

Buy right, buy once, done deal.

$.02 from some guy on the internet.

[lol

Not from Gibson.

Try different stores, maybe even (GAG!!! CHOKE!!!! COUGH!!!!) Guitar Center.

Look for a TKL case, I believe that's who still makes them.

Get a Standard and the case will come with it, that alone is almost worth the extra money, eh?

Just sayin'.....

[lol]

The guitars with cheap finishes are NOT "just as good" and there are features you're missing out on.

It's just paint.

If a step up in price earns you better sound, then sure, but if the only difference is some layers of lacquer and a few trimmings, then who cares?

SG Specials ARE as good as Standards, same woods, electronics, etc. Just not the frills like trap inlays and binding. I prefer a more stripped down SG, which is how an SG is meant to be, IMO. Plenty of lengandary songs have been recorded on Gibson Specials, now mind you, the older ones had p-90s, but otherwise still the same. Pete Townshend of the Who used one for 3 or 4 years during their heyday. Tony Iommi practicly invented Heavy Metal on an SG Special called "The Monkey" (in my sig BTW). Robbie Krieger of the Doors also played a Special. I really like Standards, don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but don't overlook the humble SG Special[biggrin]

I am looking at standard sg's on craigslist to see what is there. I found a couple good ones but im gunna keep looking. so far' date=' all of the ones that i have found come with cases.[/quote']

Good man. Be patient, the right guitar eventually find's its owner.

It's just paint.

if the only difference is some layers of lacquer and a few trimmings' date=' then [b']who cares?[/b]

Every Gibson electric buyer since 1952.

Gibson's reputation wasn't built on ugly budget-minded, low-buck guitars.

Just a few years ago, Gibson's advertising everywhere you looked was Only A Gibson Is Good Enough.

Now it's Anything Goes, Just Give Us Your Money.

History will prove their move down-market to be a mistake.

Wonder who will buy them this time when they're on the verge of collapse from marketing Idiocy?

I doubt it will be an American company.

Archived