Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Gibson Special Faded SG any good?

aradem4

I wouldnt recomend a LIne 6 spider, go for a small valve amp, it will sound better, and be more use in the bedroom, then if its not loud enough, mike it up for gigs

Maybe a Marshall Class 5 /orange tiny terror/ epiphone valve jr/sr kinda area

The SG Special is a very good guitar - after a pickup change. So you'll definitely want to do that' date=' and even if you do I think you'd be better off with an LP or something with a similarly darker tone for the styles you want to play.[/quote']

I second that with a caveat. I hadn't played an SG in ages. So I tried a Faded in my local music store and Holy Cripes! What resonance and tone. Full bodied with a nice crispy top. I knew I had to get one. So I nabbed a used one on E-Bay about two years ago.

I liked the 490R pickup a lot. Super smooth with lots of girth. The bridge was a different story, a decided upper mid spike that made it sound narrow, harsh and rather thin. Now some may like that sound, it cuts through, I'll say that. But it becomes tiring, especially played clean. You can't dial it out.

So I replaced the OEMs and installed Classic 57s, plus in the bridge, both nickel covered. I've got the whole humbucking thing covered now to my satisfaction.

Note: I had replaced the 300K treble volume pot for a 500K volume pot when I had the 490T thinking it would open it up. Nope, just more trebly. Same upper mid boost. And I had to put the 300K back when I installed the Classic 57 plus. The 500K made it too sharp and trebly to my ears.

Long live the SG!! You can't go wrong with any of them!

Ummm.... Hasn't the Special been in the SG linup since the beginning?????:- :-

Yeah. In the beginning it also had a gloss finish and binding :-

In the long run' date=' I think you'll be more satisfied with a Standard. I always prefer to just hold out and get what I really want. But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

By the way SG fan... If the gloss is no big deal and you prefer a stripped down SG, why are you going to pay a bunch of money to get it refinished?

Just get what you want! If you prefer the faded finish then get it. If you want the Standard then just hold out and get it. It will be worth it. I held out and I couldn't be happier with my SG [biggrin

Yeah. In the beginning it also had a gloss finish and binding [-(

In the long run' date= I think you'll be more satisfied with a Standard. I always prefer to just hold out and get what I really want. But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

By the way SG fan... If the gloss is no big deal and you prefer a stripped down SG, why are you going to pay a bunch of money to get it refinished? [/quote]

I was talking more about binding and trapizoid inlays, finish is a big deal but it's not a dealbreaker. PS I know a good luthier that can do it fairly cheaply. Just because us Special owners didn't drop as much money on our guits doesn't mean they're not any good.:-

I think I qualify as a gear snob: my main bass is a Fender American Vintage '57 Precision, which, starting tomorrow, will be played through a Mesa Boogie bass amp (it's a 100-mile drive to pick it up, so it's not gotten here yet), I just sold a Les Paul gold top, and my main guitar is a natural blonde Gibson ES-335, which will be replaced IF I ever find a cherry-red, mono 355 with a Bigsby.

And I really like my SG Special Faded. It's all guitar, not some piece of male jewelry. I quite like the subdued finish, which emphasizes the elegant shape of the body to a greater degree than the cheap-looking (in comparison) gloss on the other SGs.

Before I bought my Faded, I looked at a LOT of SGs, and, as cool a guitar as the SG is, most of them just don't do it for me. I thought my 335 was IT, but I find myself carrying the SG to gigs more and more.

Best advice I've seen so far.

If the price is the ONLY factor you're considering for your guitar purchase' date=' you're in for a rude awakening.

I cannot believe somebody can scrape together $800 to buy a guitar but will refuse to spend

another $200 to get a nice new example of the REAL DEAL that started it all - the Standard.

The guitars with cheap finishes are NOT "just as good" and there are features you're missing out on.

And saving that $200?

When it comes time to sell, you just lost that - and more.

Anybody who likes an SG will buy a Standard.

Lotsa SG guys won't even consider one with the cheapo flat finish, no matter how cheap you go.

Buy right, buy once, done deal.

$.02 from some guy on the internet.

[biggrin

Real deal???

I have loved sg's for almost 20 years, I have to say that so far my favourite is the Sg faded special. I love the finish, simple natural wood without gloss hiding its beauty. I love the tone and sound and i run mine through a fender blues jr.

As far as the cost goes, that wasnt part of determining my choice.

Hey man, I really was a die hard les paul fan but I had never played the sg's. Now my local guitar store has got them in and I love em. I got one on layaway hope I will get to pick it up soon. The only difference in the sg standard and the faded. Is the sg standard has trapazoid inlays faded has dots standard has neck binding faded no binding standard has 498t in the bridge faded has490t in the bridge the standard comes with a case faded comes with a gig bag everything else is the same . I played both and really liked both of them but I just couldn't see paying $500 more for flashier inlays neck binding and a case. Also you talkin about picking up a line 6 amp I played one of the spider 3 amps for a while dude if you are looking for a modeling amp do yourself a favor and go play the new peavey vypyr amps I have made the switch and they smoke the line 6 stuff they are a way better sounding amp I bought a used 120 tube and it is bad....... heres a video I made I know I suck but check out the sound of the amp

I was talking more about binding and trapizoid inlays' date=' finish is a big deal but it's not a dealbreaker. PS I know a good luthier that can do it fairly cheaply. Just because us Special owners didn't drop as much money on our guits doesn't mean they're not any good.[cool']

I never said Specials are no good. In fact, I think they're pretty cool.

I'd love to pick up a used one and mod it. I want to save up some money and get one and get a new pickguard and put a SSS Strat pickup configuration on it and a Bigsby. Of course then I'd have to put on roller saddles and maybe get some kind of locking nut. I think that would be a sweet SG.

Sometimes I want the Strat sound but I love the feel on an SG.

You know you're good. Amp sounds awesome.

Hey man thanks for the nice comment[biggrin] ' date=' I try, This is a really sweet amp if your in the market for a new amp make sure to check out the peavey vypyr they come in tube and solid state and I think they are a great amp and you can get about any sound you want with it. In the video I use a mod tone wah the rest of the effects are built into the amp. Check em out........Keep rockin, I finally got the cash to pick up my guitar, But I gotta work the weekend so I guess I will go get it monday........[biggrin

Archived