Gibson Brands Forums

Please help this gibson noob find out if his baby is in need of some medical care!

fenderprogibsonnoob

Hello all and please forgive me if this has been asked already im new here. And new to the world of the gibson family.

I recently got an epiphone les paul standard and although its no gibby custom, im still EXTREMELY pleased. However all of a sudden, the rhythym pickup began sounding very dull and quiet especially compared to the treble. Also when both are selected it is all trebel and if i roll off the volume of the rhythm it does nothing and it still basically sounds like im playing on the treble. It basically appears to have cut out and the volume doesn't even completely turn it off no matter how quiet it now is. Also the tone appears useless although it may just be hard to tell with the volume. Ive now also noticed that the rhythym pickup itself seems to have sunken completely into the hole?

Whats going on? I've had simiar problems on my old fender which i just needed to solder a few wires however im not quiet comfortable doing this on my fairly expensive baby. Im willing to take it to a shop to get this fixed and hopefully its just minor, i am however disapointed that this occured after only a few days, and i am VERY careful withmy guitars. I will be reluctant to pay for such an unnecasarily soon repair however if it is not covered under any warranty since ive had it for about a week or two i will pay. Thanks for any help guys!

Is it new?

Then it's a warranty issue - end of story.

Don't be surprised if they really don't wanna fix it, and offer you a different guitar instead.

Not being a smartass - really.... - but this is quite common with Epiphones.

The fix may not be a simple loose wire.

They use sh!t pots, sh!t selector, sh!t output jack, sh!t electronics alltogether.

And though I've never had an Epi pickup completely die, they will often get weak from partial winding failure.

So, whoever sold it to you isn't gonna spend much time (ie, money) troubleshooting it.

If it's a quick fix, maybe. I'm gonna guess selector switch if that's worth anything to you.

Upgrading all the guts is the only way to go, but it requires some wood-cutting and a few hundred dollars.

Gibson money, in other words.

I've done it on a few Epis over the years and made great players out of them, but financially it's just not worth it.

But if it's broke and you can't sell it, then you're scrounging parts off Ebay....

Is it new?

Then it's a warranty issue - end of story.

Don't be surprised if they really don't wanna fix it' date=' and offer you a different guitar instead.

Not being a smartass - really.... - but this is quite common with Epiphones.

The fix may not be a simple loose wire.

They use sh!t pots, sh!t selector, sh!t output jack, sh!t electronics alltogether.

And though I've never had an Epi pickup completely die, they will often get weak from partial winding failure.

So, whoever sold it to you isn't gonna spend much time (ie, money) troubleshooting it.

If it's a quick fix, maybe. I'm gonna guess selector switch if that's worth anything to you.

Upgrading all the guts is the only way to go, but it requires some wood-cutting and a few hundred dollars.

Gibson money, in other words.

I've done it on a few Epis over the years and made great players out of them, but financially it's just not worth it.

But if it's broke and you can't sell it, then you're scrounging parts off Ebay....[/quote']This is true.

I can't even use the tone controls on my Epi LP, because of all the popping and cracking. Not to mention, they only work when they're on ten!

I solved that problem easy. Instead of going through a bunch of crap (as Neo mentioned above), I spent the money that I would have spent on upgrades for the Epi, on a Gibson LP. Now all I have to do is swap the pickups from the Gibson (498R/500T) to the Epi, and drop in a '57 Classic, and '57 Classic Plus, and new pots for the Epi, and I'm STILL saving an ***-load of money.

There is a very simple question, that for some reason is yet to be answered:

Why would anyone buy/upgrade an Epi, when they could buy a lower-end Gibson (Studio, Jr., or a Classic) for almost the same price?

There is a very simple question' date=' that for some reason is yet to be answered:

Why would anyone buy/upgrade an Epi, when they could buy a lower-end Gibson (Studio, Jr., or a Classic) for almost the same price?[/quote']

There is a very simple answer to that very simple question. Some people will buy whichever guitar is prettier. It (very simply) doesn't matter if it sounds worse.

There is a very simple answer to that very simple question. Some people will buy whichever guitar is prettier. It (very simply) doesn't matter if it sounds worse.

Great point pippy![biggrin]

If LPs were women, Epis would be the gold-diggers; Most of them are beautiful, but just end up taking all of your money!

Archived