Gibson Brands Forums

Mike Hauver Nick Lucas Special Prototype

suburude63

Guys I have as you can see a new obsession ! L00s and Nick Lucas Specials. I have been selling a lot of guiars lately and buying these little beautys! :-k

Below is the sellers description from his site. I guess Mike makes a lot of ladder braced Stella /Oscar Schmidt guitars. Bluesy! :D

Mike Hauver Nick Lucas Special Prototype ....New. This guitar was Mike Hauver's initial rendition of Gibson's finest finger picker's guitar. Since the time it was built, Mike has gone on to produce several other Nick Lucas Clones. But this guitar was number one! It is 12 frets to body as well as the same 24.75" scale as a 1930s original Lucas, but with a more modern 1 11/16" nut width. As one who has owned more than a dozen original Lucas Specials, I can honestly say that Mike's version sounds superb with a tone that compares very favorably to the "real thing" made by Gibson circa 1930. Mahogany sides and back, Adirondack spruce top. Grover Sta-tite tuners.

hauver_lucas2.jpg

hauver_lucasback.jpg

hauver_lucas3.jpg

12 fret' date=' mahogany back and sides, adirondack top... wow ! Perfect.

By the way I thought that Nick Lucas were maple or rosewood back and sides... and usually 13 fret...

I do prefer that one to other Nick Lucas or L00. A price ?

[/quote']

Nick lucas specials came in 12 Fret, 13 and 14 fret models. They came in Mahogany , Maple and Rosewood models. :-k They also came in different shapes . But they were always deeper than L00s.

See links below.

http://www.nicklucas.com/guitar-gibsonNickLucasSpecial.html

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Gibson/12574/NickLucasGuitar.html

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pinrepair.com/vgi/gibson/36_nicklucus-blk_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.provide.net/~cfh//nick.html&h=700&w=950&sz=116&tbnid=rwfK5Fssa_pUNM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=148&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnick%2Blucas%2Bspecial&usg=__CAKCYNJ4DlLf1OY7Qks3qpBynhc=&ei=BfpUS8_ZBZTmswPf3dXYBw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CBEQ9QEwAw

Fwiw a 13 fret rw NLS was Dylan's main guitar ca 65-66. His Bobness aside, its cool M. Hauver is making these. He mixes in some modern features (bolt on neck) with old school designs. Neil Harpe, who knows a thing or two about guitars of that era, has good words to say about em. Anyone looking for a Stella copy, should check out Todd Cambrio's Fraulini line (sounds more like s Stella than a Stella--Paul Geremia). Todd's website has audio samples played by Mr. G. http://www.fraulini.com/inventory.html

Over sized bridge? This was copied from a 32 NL exactly. [biggrin]

Well, the pics make it look about 1/8 in. wider than the original's bridge. Plus, the drop in saddle adds to the effect. Anyway, if you measure it upon receipt, I can compare it with my 1929 NL's bridge.

I suspect that it will sound wonderful. Mike has done exceptional work on my vintage guitars.

As I understand the term, "oversized" is used when discussing bridge replacements on vintage guitars. In other words..."oversized compared to the original bridge". Mike Hauver's bridge is the original bridge on this guitar, so how can it be "oversized"? Like Wayne Henderson's bridge, it is Mike's own design. And yes, it is slightly wider than the typical 1930's Gibson Nick Lucas Special. Mike's rationale for this is that he prefers just a little more distance between the bridge pins and the saddle.

Neil Harpe

As I understand the term' date=' "oversized" is used when discussing bridge replacements on vintage guitars. In other words..."oversized compared to the original bridge". Mike Hauver's bridge is the original bridge on this guitar, so how can it be "oversized"? Like Wayne Henderson's bridge, it is Mike's own design. And yes, it is slightly wider than the typical 1930's Gibson Nick Lucas Special. Mike's rationale for this is that he prefers just a little more distance between the bridge pins and the saddle.

Neil Harpe[/quote']

Neil,

Hello! How are you?

I didn't mean to demean Mike's work. I'm a big Mike Hauver fan. I only meant to observe that the bridge looks to be of the wrong proportions for a vintage recreation. FWIW, I like Mike's bridge a lot more than Wayne's and I'm a Wayne fan (being on his build list for a couple of years), too!

Hi John, I am doing well, thanks.

I know you were not demeaning Mike's work. I think when Mike made his prototype "Nick", he was following the age-old artistic thesis: "form follows function". In most regards, it is just like an original Gibson Special, but with just a couple of "Mike Hauver" touches. Remember, we are talking about a "prototype" ( the first Lucas he built). Having said that, Mike is currently making a Nick Lucas clone that, at the customer's request, will have a bridge that is of the precise dimensions of the bridge on a 1930's Gibson N. L. Special.

Hi John' date=' I am doing well, thanks.

I know you were not demeaning Mike's work. I think when Mike made his prototype "Nick", he was following the age-old artistic thesis: "form follows function". In most regards, it is just like an original Gibson Special, but with just a couple of "Mike Hauver" touches. Remember, we are talking about a "prototype" ( the first Lucas he built). Having said that, Mike is currently making a Nick Lucas clone that, at the customer's request, will have a bridge that is of the precise dimensions of the bridge on a 1930's Gibson N. L. Special.[/quote']

Neil,

I believe that the client who ordered the nick replica is my friend to whom I recommended Mike. A small world!

Mike is a magician, as you know. His most stunning work for me was a neck reset and truss rod replacement on my 1936 L-Century. There is no evidence that the guitar has ever had any work! I don't know another luthier who does neck resets, much less pulling the fingerboard to replace the truss rod, on Centuries.

As I understand the term' date=' "oversized" is used when discussing bridge replacements on vintage guitars. In other words..."oversized compared to the original bridge". Mike Hauver's bridge is the original bridge on this guitar, so how can it be "oversized"? Like Wayne Henderson's bridge, it is Mike's own design. And yes, it is slightly wider than the typical 1930's Gibson Nick Lucas Special. Mike's rationale for this is that he prefers just a little more distance between the bridge pins and the saddle.

Neil Harpe[/quote']

Hi Neil,

It's nice to see you posting here!

Hopefully you'll contribute from time to time to the various topics, based on your expertise.

Fred

Archived