Gibson Brands Forums

Question about "Spill" feature on pedals

Riffster

Some pedals such as my Marshall Delay have 2 outputs, one is the normal and the other is a "Spill" you can connect 2 amps if you want.

The Spill feature dies slowly after turning the pedal off.

My question is when you have such pedal on a pedalboard and this pedal is not the last in the chain. Is the normal output to be used or is the Spill output to be used? How does a Spill output affect the next pedal in the chain?

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/fx/delay/eh-1-echohead-20204/review

"Alongside the instrument input is a jack socket for the connection of a momentary footswitch which functions as a tap tempo control. In addition, a pair of output jacks offers more than simply stereo operation. When the pedal is connected in mono to output one, a passive bypass circuit kills the effect completely when it is disengaged. Connecting to output two alone is also mono, but this time when you disengage the effect, any remaining repeats will 'spill over' and naturally decay over whatever else you are playing. This is useful and gives you the option to segue less abruptly between sections of a track that require different sounds than if the delay repeats were simply cut dead."

Thanks cruzn, I do use the spill function to let the signal fade after the pedal is switched off.

My question was more about what happens wehn the pedal is not the last in the line? I guess I would still use the spill output into the next pedal?

Thanks cruzn' date=' I do use the spill function to let the signal fade after the pedal is switched off.

My question was more about what happens wehn the pedal is not the last in the line? I guess I would still use the spill output into the next pedal? [/quote']

The way I read it, the position of the pedal in the chain wouldn't matter, at least so far as the spill feature is concerned. It's either a clean cut-off, from the output; or an effect fade-out from the spill output....I think. Not something I'm familiar with from experience. Just what I'm reading.

Not sure if this is what you're asking but...

If you have a pedal connected after the delay the spillover will of course be affected by that pedal. Scenario, you add a distortion pedal after the delay for some obscure reason that's beyond me, such as: guitar ---> delay ---> Distortion, and you play with the delay on and the distortion off, then turn the delay off and the distortion on, then the spillover delay repeats will be distorted. In other words, the pedals after the delay can't magically separate the spillover repeats from the rest of the signal at its input and will affect everything fed to it.

Not sure if this is what you're asking but...

If you have a pedal connected after the delay the spillover will of course be affected by that pedal. Scenario' date=' you add a distortion pedal after the delay for some obscure reason that's beyond me, such as: guitar ---> delay ---> Distortion, and you play with the delay on and the distortion off, then turn the delay off and the distortion on, then the spillover delay repeats will be distorted. In other words, the pedals after the delay can't magically separate the spillover repeats from the rest of the signal at its input and will affect everything fed to it.

[/quote']

This makes perfect sense. At least to me.

Ok, yea that makes sense.

I was complicating my thinking because I have 2 pedals with spill over signals next to each other.

I have a Marshall Echohead Delay followed by a Marshall Regenerator.

It is time to experiment with the connections some more, I always thought that the Dealy pedal should go after the Modulation pedal, to my surprise it was the opposite, now the sound of the 2 mixed is really cool.

Basically I was repeating the Modulation signal instead of Modulating the Delay signal.

Small difference, huge change.

Archived