Gibson Brands Forums

Hang-em by the neck or not

cudamax2343

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, saw the title, and thought y'all was gonna lynch someone! Me personally, I just wouldn't be secure in the fact that a small bit of hardware was all that was between my guitar and the floor. Nah, I keep 'em cased when not in use.

Over here its rare to find a house made out of wood & drywalling - we're all brick & concrete so no worries about wall hanger security. My main concern would be the effects of dust etc. on the instruments themselves. If I was going to hang them, I think I'd rather build a glass case over them for security & cleanliness. They do look great on the wall, but I think it'd be more practical & less stressful to follow the mighty Tim A & build a cabinet for them.

My main concern would be the effects of dust etc. on the instruments themselves. If I was going to hang them' date=' I think I'd rather build a glass case over them for security & cleanliness. [/quote']

If we ever build a new house, my wife wants glass cases built as large as it takes to hold my collection.

She sees them as works of art, and wants them displayed accordingly.

Fine with me as long as they are not visible to visitors at the front door.

Boy a oldie but a goodie post huh? maybe it's a good thing the old forum posts were lost last year or we might get more old posts like this popping back up=p~

I hang lots of mine and have for 20 years without any issues. I won't hang acoustic guitars they get cased but electrics no problems. I use Off The Wall hangers all metal bases with three screws even with anchors and drywall there rated at 150 ponds and even my old Kramers with aluminum t-necks are under 15 pounds. they look great and it's easy to get what you need and think about what would hae the right sounds when working in the home studio.

If we ever build a new house' date=' my wife wants glass cases built as large as it takes to hold my collection.

She sees them as works of art, and wants them displayed accordingly.

Fine with me as long as they are not visible to visitors at the front door.[/quote']

A woman of taste indeed, and having them invisible from the front door or a window on the street is always a good idea.

Like people' date='  hanging guitars by the neck in my opinion is not good. There is enough tension on it already..[/quote']

My guitars have been an hangers for over 4 years now, with no ill effects. The wall hooks are much safer than than stands, and there's no digging cases out of the closet to get to a guitar.

Dust? LOL! I worry more about sweat and beer on my guitars - they earn their living at regular gigs.

Hi,

Im not knocking anyone for hanging their guitars... I just wouldnt do it. Its been a heavy debate in the past on these forums and the old Gibson forums as to possible damage to the neck or marks left on the nitro lacquer from the bracket..

My guitars live in two different places. In my arms or in their cases.... Period.

Iam going to see my Dr about a wrist injury I have which is stopping me from playing guitar :-s . While im there I will ask him for possible suggested treatments to help ease the symptoms of GAS.

Regards.

Flight959

Every music store these days hangs the majority of their guitars. In general I don't feel It can be to bad for them since all music stores seems to do it. My concern with hanging a guitar would be, "Is the hanger properly installed and sturdy enough to ensure the guitar will not suffer a fall?".

Hi' date='

Im not knocking anyone for hanging their guitars... I just wouldnt do it. Its been a heavy debate in the past on these forums and the old Gibson forums as to possible damage to the neck or marks left on the nitro lacquer from the bracket..[/quote']

It's all good, man. My hangers have never damaged the nitro on the necks, nor have my necks warped or suffered any other ill effects.

How one stores a guitar is up to them.

My concern with hanging a guitar would be' date='

"Is the hanger properly installed and sturdy enough to ensure the guitar will not suffer a fall?"[/quote']

Absolutely. I have nightmares about falling, wake up in a cold sweat.....

The stress on the neck is a ghost story.

Finish damage is a consideration because all the weight is concentrated at two points at the nut.

Keep that in mind.

Archived