Gibson Brands Forums

Do they put ABR-1 Bridges on all Standards???

cwness

After looking at blackies standard that had a ABR-1 bridge I was playing

mine and I notice a wire on mine and further examination proved it to

be an ABR-1 bridge. I got this guitar thru one of my moms garage sale

finds and never really checked it out because it played so good I was just

happy to have gotten it so cheap. So do all standards come with the ABR-1??

It's a 2001. I did check the specs on the web site but it just says Gibson

Tune-O-Matic.

CW

Currently they come with the "nashville" style Tune-o-matic bridge, which is the later version with larger saddle travel, and is mounted in bushings. It looks like previously they had come with the ABR-1, which I personally do not like. The nashville style is simply constructed better, doesn't have that annoying wire, you don't have to flip around the saddles to get the full range, etc etc.

I agree I like the Nashville better my self. I had to turn two saddles to get

it in tune already. Funny I didn't notice it was a ABR-1 then. I have read

on here that you get better stain with the ABR-1 but I can't tell the difference

on my LP's that have one and the Nashville they stain the same with the same pups.

Thanks for the input.

CW

It apears they changed to the nashville on the Standards sometime in the 2000's. I agree with T-Bone that the nash is a better design....

I mean how do you get the posts out on the ABR-1 if needed ?

I still don't know how they get them IN the guitar. They are screwed directly into the body. Is there any kind of slot on the top?

I've got an ABR-1 on my '94 Standard. I never could figure out how they attached the posts to the body either. :-#

Personally, I don't really notice any tone difference between my guitar equipped with the ABR-1 and one of my other guitars with the Nashville bridge. -That's probably me though. I agree with you guys, the Nashville bridges seem to be constructed better. I thought about changing the bridge on my Standard to the better Tune-O-Matic, but I figure if it ain't broke...

Archived